Innovative Marine Aquariums

finaly !! my 20 L

dhoffroad

well after trying for months to get this up I finaly got it going...

so here is the basics..

20L with 10gal sump

150w 14k (custom fixture here is a link to it my 150w HQI mini pendant

DIY HOB overflow

CSS 65 needle wheel skimmer

? lbs. of LR

10 lbs. natures ocean "live sand"

CLS with SCWD ran of XP1 canister filter (with all but 1 sponge removed for a "pre-filter" for the SCWD)

all the LR and corals (limited right now) came from my 10gal...all in all I am happy with this set up but I think I may need to up the flow a little dos'nt seem to be quite what I thought it would be. but that's ok....

so her are some pics..BTW I hav'nt actualy gotten arround to "aquascaping" the rocks yet they were just put in there so I still need to move things arround a little just wanted to let things "settle" a bit before I moved them again...

finaly.JPG

finaly2.JPG

finaly1.JPG

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE DH!!!!

Makes me miss my old 20 long lol.

Where did you get the flared nozels that are on the end of your CLS?

Originally posted by Travis

NICE DH!!!!

Makes me miss my old 20 long lol.

Where did you get the flared nozels that are on the end of your CLS?

heat gun + PVC = custom flared nozels...B)

yea I'm really liking the tank, MUCH MUCH nicer than the old 10...

well thought I'd share some pics of some of the stuff in the tank...I was only able to get a few things before the batteries in the camera died or quite possably the camera actualy died (been having probs with it lately). anyhow here they are...if my camera gets back to working I will try and get more...

acro.JPG

candy.JPG

shrooms.JPG

zoos1.JPG

zoos2.JPG

zoos11.JPG

'Bout time....I was wondering, "What's a guy gotta do to see some tank pics around here?"

Looks Great! I love the rock work, nice cervices and mounting surfaces.

yea I was kinda wondering the same thing (hint hint..LOL)

thanks, well actualy I HAVE to do a little movin of things I actualy want to open up a little space in the front center for a clam.

well I got a couple new corals on friday thought I'd share. I got a hell of a deal on them 2 SPS COLONIES, 1 SPS frag, and 2 heads of ric. for $100. the larger colony (last pic) is actualy a tricolor and has shown some positive color changes in just the two days it has been in the tank, and the prostrata frag actualy has some nice "colors" that don't show up in the pics...anyway here are the pics...

bandg.jpg

pandgclose.jpg

newric.jpg

prostrata1.jpg

prostrata.jpg

tricolor.jpg

did a little moving arround of things yesturday still not totaly happy (not exactly what I had pictured in my head) will need a couple peices of LR and hopefully I can get it to where I want it...I wanted to open up the front sand bed a little and have the sides wrap arround like a "cove" look but with the rock I have it made it hard maby with a couple smaller new pieces I can get the look I want...anyhow here are a couple pics of the new look...

89053.jpg

89052.jpg

89051.jpg

8905.jpg

and here is a little update pic of the tri-color it is getting more color every day...just goes to show that sometimes more light wont do anything for you...LOL... this piece came from a system with a 250w DE 20K and the coral is prety close to the same distance in my tank as it was in its previous owners tank, but in his tank I could'nt see any color, and would'nt have gotten it if he did'nt "give it to me for free"....

tdtriandpros.jpg

ReeferMonkey

I'm glad to see that you're getting good coloration out of your SPS in the 20L. My MB7 has done decently but as soon as I have serious WQ issues my SPS colors always tank and then it's a few months to coax them back out....

As a result I'm going to set up a BB 20L. With a HOB Ecosystem 40 as a fuge I should probably have the same water volume as you, so I think I should be OK. I will be using a 250W halide though and am a little anxious about that. I figure if I hang it high enough and use the 14,500K Giesemann bulbs I have I should be OK.

But back to you! :D Looking good! How far up is your halide, ?

Got any more pics?

my MH is 4.5" above the water line...

onthefly has a new 20L (BB) with the 250w DE 14K that he says looks killer (but we will have to wait for pics from him to back it up..LOL..) you might ask him how it is working for him and how high his is...when I set this up I was affraid of heat issues but the tank is nice and stable when the light is on ther is a "little clip on fan" off to the side of the tank and with it on the LOW setting and the house at 86 the tank only gets up to 81 MAX and the heater is set at 79 so there is not a big jump in temp..

anyway thanks for the compliment, and good luck with your's...I'll post pics as I get them well atleast pics worth posting...LOL..

Someone call my name? :)

Since I had close to 25 SPS frags that were growing under 70W...I decided to take it slow. So, I put my light up high (18") and covered the tank with 2 layers of window screen. I'm down to my last layer (which comes off Friday) then the light will slowly begin to come down. I think I'm going to shoot for 10-12".

I put a Target clip on fan on the tank, and one in the stand blowing of the IceCap heat sink....Ambient temp in the house = 80F, tank stays between 78.5 and 79.5.

YUP! Looked pretty jam packed on moving day....Frags mounted, frags lying on the sand, frags in the fuge....hell, I thought about suspending them on string.

Archived