Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bonsai Reef! - My aquavase in disguise...

Farrah

My pico has been set up for a couple of months now. It is the candy aquavase XL, disguised by a beautiful base and hood made by Scott over at nanohoods.com/. Inhabitants include 1 trochus snail, 1 blue legged hermit, some macro algae, some bubble algae (I kind of like it ;), a couple of tiny hitchhiker anemones, and some blue mushrooms which miraculously survived shipping without water. For a while, I had an awesome little anemone shrimp, but he decided to jump out and commit suicide. Poor little guy.

7631picofaraway.jpg

7631picocloseupnov04.jpg

Originally posted by MessyRoadKil

Awsome! Very nice stand and base, BTW GET RID OF PLASTIC PLANTS!!!! AHHHH! *runs and hides away from fakes*

I don't think those are plastic :P

And, very nice. Interesting base/hood setup. What kind of lighting is over it?

Plastic? You couldn't pay me enough to put that in my tanks! ;) It's Caulerpa prolifera. I thought it might help control nutrients and I like the way it looks.

Flip it upside down? Like a snow globe? LOL

The lighting is a 13w PC 50/50.

I can't decide if I want to add any zoos to it or not. Right now is has a very simple zen look. Do you think adding zoos would destroy that?

Jtsam, I think you are right. I'll leave it as is... for now at least.

Rhs, I got the shrooms in an order from Farms of TheSea. To tell you the truth, I don't know how they are alive. All of the water leaked out of the bag in shipping, and I got a smelly rock. I didn't want to jeopardize my main setup. Since I had just purchased the aquavase, I decided to throw it in and see what happened. A couple of them survived. There are actually a few on there that have turned into black masses with a mouth in the center... they kind of remind me of cancer, but still exist.

I'm thinking a small zoo rock might work well in front of and slightly off-center to the left of the shroom rock. I'd pick some nice colorful zoos to complement the shroom color. Small rock with some small types of zoos might work well.

Rhs: I think I paid about $30 for the blue striped mushroom colony. Packing and shipping is about $40, but I had a large order. Here's the link - http://www.farms-of-thesea.com. Stock is a bit low right now.

Daemonfly: If I do add some zoos, I think I'll attach them directly to the rock.

Undertheradar: Plastic snowman... hehehe.

Thats a Red Sea Aquavase? Are you using one of the little hang on filters they come with? is thath the origonal PC lighting?

LOL... I have one too... sitting on my desk empty... was thinking of doing something similer but never got around to it!

You can now do water changes with a shotglass!

TJ, I am using the stock filter, which seems to run fine (except algae grows in the plumbing because it's all clear. Know of any good way to clean it out? As for the lighting, I had a 13w PC installed when the hood was built. It's really quite bright.

Nanoist, I have you to thank for it! It wouldn't be as beautiful without your lovely craftmanship!

Archived