Cultivated Reef

Finally 5 Gallon update

Chyendra

i think with shrooms you can either scrape one head off... or if you're trying to propergate them, you cut the head into sections, pizza like. Maybe someone will pop in with experience on this... but it's what i've heard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

September update: just over the 6th month mark (started in march i believe, wow, it doesn't seem like i've had it that long)

I've just recently moved into college and two weekends ago, was the big tank move! (it may not seem big, for all you 20g+ tanks, but 5 gallons is still stressful to move) After battleing sand algea, and evil scratches in my acrylic, and a never ending phosphate issues i decided... You know what... those barebottem people might have a good idea... so for now.. i've decided to give it a shot.. it's a little early to do any tests to see where my levels are.. but the one thing i'm worried about is my PH since i won't have the sand buffer any more... my PH was really low a few days ago, like 7.6 i think... I did a water change i'm going to test it again soon.... should i start buffering with somthing if it keeps staying low?

anyway... heres an updated tank pic.... minus the sand of course!

another coral i got was this cute little bunch of brown/green zoos for $7 they looked greener at the lfs, but i think it was all the actinic they had. Also they seem to change colors a bit, from rusty brown green, to a brighter green. My blastomussa was angry and closed when i put the zoos near them, so now the zoos are on the other side of the tank by themselves.

My red shrooms had grown quite a bit in just the last month and a half. The rock i bought had 2 large shrooms, and now i have and extra medium size, and one baby. Here's my zebra hermit looking for food...

my pink birds nest is growing a little but not alot. It's more bright yellow/orange with red/orange polyps, not as much pink as i was hopeing for, but it's healthy and polyps are always out!

(ignore that big ugly aiptasia in the background... i just got some joes jucie... but i'm only killing a few at a time... don't need a spike from anemone dieing jucie)

heres my green/purple ric. Its gotten larger and more spread out. It even has two mouths now as well... But it seems like it isn't as bright as it used to be... which is odd because it's getting PLENTY of light.... can i feed it somthing? I have DT's and some marine flake (which my candy cane loves) any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Really nice... Good to see someone doing away with the sand. Nitrate and phosphate factory it is.

On my tank with no substrate, I do a 5 to 10 % per week of real ocean water and I dont really have too much ph flux and it stays a good 8.0 to 8.2

Hey, looks very beautiful and very clean. I think i should remove the sand bed too. What is the Kelvin degree of 70W Ushio? Dont you use any actinic bulbs?

Kadir

I'm sorry i don't know the brand of tank, i've had it for several years as it was my very first aquarium back when i was just getting into freshwater. I think petsmart carries a tank similar to it.

The 70watt is 10,000K Ushio and i have 1x13w actinic pc on the left side (but it doesn't make much of a difference)

thanks for the comments!

I thought i would show off my new yellow/gold/green Yuma...

I've only had it a day and i think it's still adjusting because it hasn't fully opened.... But here are some crappy pictures reguardless :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little more updates..... Wanted to show off my new zoos.... they were a steal!!! nearly 50-60 polyps.... $15.... you just have to know who to talke to :)

Archived