SaltCritters.com

My Flower Box

gena

3 gallon picotope has been upgraded to an 8 gallon nano. Upgrade starts on pg. 27.

May 2015

IMG_0110_zpsur5h8olc.jpg

February 2015

020215_zps3fd4f031.jpg

September 2014

9-2-14fts_zps6cada978.jpg

Tank

Custom Visio Tank 14x14x10 (8g)

Light

NanoBox Tide w/ storm controller

Filtration

Live Rock

HOB Filter

RIO 50 pump

RIO 90 pump

Controller

Reefkeeper Lite (heater)

Live Rock

Real Reef Rock

Sand

Fiji Pink

Livestock

Coral

Rock Flower Anemones

Gorgonian

Ricordea/yumas

Neon trumpets

Blastos

Green Birdsnest

Pink Pocillopora

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Macroalgae

Blue Ochtodes

Blue Scroll

Galaxia

Fish

Green Clown Goby

Masked Goby

Inverts

Porcelain anemone crab

Anemone Shrimp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The title makes me laugh! Too cute :) This will be such a fun little tank. I really like the idea of Pederson anemone shrimp in there!

:lol: Glad you like the title!!!! I thought about sexy shrimp, but I know eventually I will put some zoas/palys in there and that just won't mix well. I've never had luck with sexies and Zs/Ps.

I feel like I'm ignoring my 45g now that I set this up. I'm sure you know that feeling....with your horse tank vs. the 30g. :)

:lol: Glad you like the title!!!! I thought about sexy shrimp, but I know eventually I will put some zoas/palys in there and that just won't mix well. I've never had luck with sexies and Zs/Ps.

I feel like I'm ignoring my 45g now that I set this up. I'm sure you know that feeling....with your horse tank vs. the 30g. :)

I think Pedersons are much cooler than sexy shrimp personally. KPA also has those spotted cleaner shrimp which are also anemone shrimp but with a slightly different pattern from the pedersons. Might be cool to have a mix of both types :)

Yep, its easy to neglect the other tank for the new exciting one! :lol:

Looking good. I'm in the market for a pico tank. I was looking at tanks between 5&12gal but after seeing yours and a few others I'm willing to go smaller. Being a macro tank are you just running the stock lighting? What are your w/c like?

Looks good! I've been debating a small flower nem or a maxi for my tank with a Pedersons. I had one of those shrimp in my mini s and I loved it but the tank sitter went and killed it! I also want a clam...lots of wants.

I think Pedersons are much cooler than sexy shrimp personally. KPA also has those spotted cleaner shrimp which are also anemone shrimp but with a slightly different pattern from the pedersons. Might be cool to have a mix of both types :)

Yep, its easy to neglect the other tank for the new exciting one! :lol:

I forgot about the spotted. I actually think they are better looking than the pedersons. I'll get a mix of both, for sure. :)

Looking good. I'm in the market for a pico tank. I was looking at tanks between 5&12gal but after seeing yours and a few others I'm willing to go smaller. Being a macro tank are you just running the stock lighting? What are your w/c like?

Right now I'm running a IM Skkye Light 4 (LED) on it. But I just ordered the Coral Compulsion 14W PAR30 LED 18k Vibrance Reef Light. Hopefully that will be here this week.

Water changes will be once a week, a mix of new SW and waste water from my 45g tank. That's the plan right now, anyways. :)

Looks good! I've been debating a small flower nem or a maxi for my tank with a Pedersons. I had one of those shrimp in my mini s and I loved it but the tank sitter went and killed it! I also want a clam...lots of wants.

Thanks! You should do it. ;)

Yeah, I really like those spotted cleaners! I almost got one when I placed my KPA order, but decided it would probably end up as an expensive snack for the seahorses. It would look cool on the St. Thomas mushrooms though, since they will host those if there are no nems.

Btw, what fixture are you going to get for that coral compulsion bulb? Just a desk lamp or something?

Yeah, I really like those spotted cleaners! I almost got one when I placed my KPA order, but decided it would probably end up as an expensive snack for the seahorses. It would look cool on the St. Thomas mushrooms though, since they will host those if there are no nems.

I'm curious to see if they are longer lived for me in this pico. In the past they'd only last a few months for me. I swore I'd never try them again, but now having an actually anemone for them, maybe they'll do better???? Guess I'll find out. :)

Seahorses eat decorative shrimp????

I'm curious to see if they are longer lived for me in this pico. In the past they'd only last a few months for me. I swore I'd never try them again, but now having an actually anemone for them, maybe they'll do better???? Guess I'll find out. :)

Seahorses eat decorative shrimp????

Yeah, maybe they'll do better in that little tank dedicated just to them :) Its probably hard to tell age on them, so maybe the ones you got in the past were already older. I kind of wonder if they have a very long lifespan anyway.

So seahorses eat small shrimp in the wild. They can't eat any that are very large, like if I put one of my big skunk cleaners in there, there couldn't eat it. However, they have tiny snouts, but when they "snick" they suck in water really fast and create a strong vacuum. Even if shrimp or food is too big to fit in their snout all at once, they can snick it and actually rip it to pieces by snicking it repeatedly. You can actually buy live ghost shrimp, and they can still eat them as long as they're not too big. Pedersons/spotted anemone shrimp are kind of on the borderline in terms of eatable size. Zia fed his seahorses some live ghost shrimp in the past and they ate all but one of them. One of them was either too big or too wily and stayed in his tank. I wonder if that one is still in there actually...

This is from KPA's description of the spotted cleaners:

These shrimp never get more than about an inch long, so if you have aggressive fish such as triggerfish, groupers, wrasses, and snappers, they will probably get eaten so I would not recommend adding them to systems with that type of fish. Sea horses may also eat them, so I would not suggest mixing the two.

Btw, what fixture are you going to get for that coral compulsion bulb? Just a desk lamp or something?

I missed this. :blush:

I ordered their clamp fixture in white. This one:

http://coralcompulsion.com/led/led-accessories/lamp-clamp-white

Yeah, maybe they'll do better in that little tank dedicated just to them :) Its probably hard to tell age on them, so maybe the ones you got in the past were already older. I kind of wonder if they have a very long lifespan anyway.

So seahorses eat small shrimp in the wild. They can't eat any that are very large, like if I put one of my big skunk cleaners in there, there couldn't eat it. However, they have tiny snouts, but when they "snick" they suck in water really fast and create a strong vacuum. Even if shrimp or food is too big to fit in their snout all at once, they can snick it and actually rip it to pieces by snicking it repeatedly. You can actually buy live ghost shrimp, and they can still eat them as long as they're not too big. Pedersons/spotted anemone shrimp are kind of on the borderline in terms of eatable size. Zia fed his seahorses some live ghost shrimp in the past and they ate all but one of them. One of them was either too big or too wily and stayed in his tank. I wonder if that one is still in there actually...

This is from KPA's description of the spotted cleaners:

Interesting! I never would have thought they'd eat shrimp. I could see ghost shrimp though. And those anemone shrimps are kinda ghost/clear looking. You could always set up a third tank like mine. Don't you have a pico laying around? ;)

I missed this. :blush:

I ordered their clamp fixture in white. This one:

http://coralcompulsion.com/led/led-accessories/lamp-clamp-white

Interesting! I never would have thought they'd eat shrimp. I could see ghost shrimp though. And those anemone shrimps are kinda ghost/clear looking. You could always set up a third tank like mine. Don't you have a pico laying around? ;)

That fixture will look nice! I like it!

I do have a picotope laying around. However, all the equipment for it (light, heater, filter) is on the FW planted betta tank at work. I don't need to be setting up yet another tank :lol:

That fixture will look nice! I like it!

I do have a picotope laying around. However, all the equipment for it (light, heater, filter) is on the FW planted betta tank at work. I don't need to be setting up yet another tank :lol:

:lol: I thought you had one! Is it a JBJ picotope?

:lol: I thought you had one! Is it a JBJ picotope?

Yep, its the JBJ picotope. I bought it when I was going to do the dwarf seahorses. I don't know if you remember that I painted the back yellow. That would have been super cool for the dwarf seahorses, but it would look really weird for anything else I could use it for. That's why I bought the glass cube tank for the betta instead of just using the picotope.

Yep, its the JBJ picotope. I bought it when I was going to do the dwarf seahorses. I don't know if you remember that I painted the back yellow. That would have been super cool for the dwarf seahorses, but it would look really weird for anything else I could use it for. That's why I bought the glass cube tank for the betta instead of just using the picotope.

I do remember now. You could probably scrape the paint off. I had some tape on the back of mine, when I removed it, it removed some of the paint. I bet a razor blade could take it right off.

Tank looks beautiful Gena! I'm following along.

I can't wait to see your tank with the light. I'm definitely getting the CC lamp and fixture, but I really want good coral growth, so I've decided on their full spec 14K dimmable bulb. Though, if the 18K looks nice on your tank, I may go with that!

Tank looks beautiful Gena! I'm following along.

I can't wait to see your tank with the light. I'm definitely getting the CC lamp and fixture, but I really want good coral growth, so I've decided on their full spec 14K dimmable bulb. Though, if the 18K looks nice on your tank, I may go with that!

Thanks!!! I'll be interested to see how the dimmable bulb does for you. That's a cool feature and you get so many more colors. I can always upgrade again if need be. :lol:

Got my tracking number this morning for the light. :happydance:

It will ship priority mail tomorrow so I should have it Thursday.

I'm not going to have a cycle on this tank. I've been dropping food in there everyday and no ammonia is showing up. I'll test all parameters today though. That Dr. Tim's One and Only really is the bomb. :D Fresh cured rock probably helps too, and macroalgae. ;)

This little tank is sooooo pretty. I'm really loving everything about it.

Cool little tank! A few years back I had a 14 gallon and 8 gallon going at the same time. Unfortunately, I was not as dedicated as I needed to be with the 8 gallon (I had just had my second son). It is surprising how much time is involved for one more small tank. :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing this girl grow. Good luck!

Cool little tank! A few years back I had a 14 gallon and 8 gallon going at the same time. Unfortunately, I was not as dedicated as I needed to be with the 8 gallon (I had just had my second son). It is surprising how much time is involved for one more small tank. :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing this girl grow. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm hoping this little pico won't be too time consuming. As it is right now, it's a piece of cake :). As long as I stick with just rock flowers anemones, macro, and some palythoas, I should be good.

Took some photos with the good camera today.

111313no1_zps411432be.jpg

Caulerpa is starting to take off already

111313no2_zps050a7d0e.jpg

111313no3_zps360e86f9.jpg

Diatoms are starting to show up on the sandbed. Guess I should get a CUC for this tank. I moved a Magicians frag into here the other day. Can't wait for it to fill out and hide the plug :angry:.

I have a couple of flower anemones coming in for this tank, probably tomorrow. Made an order for them at KPA. Not the WYSIWYG, but one is orange and the other is white. Looking forward to seeing them. :)

My new light should be here tomorrow as well. Busy day for me tomorrow. :D

I do remember now. You could probably scrape the paint off. I had some tape on the back of mine, when I removed it, it removed some of the paint. I bet a razor blade could take it right off.

Yep, I'm sure I could. Too much work though :lol: Plus, I already have a pico. It has a very exotic betta and pleco in it :lol:

Great new photo! This is super cute. I can't wait to see it filled with rock flowers. I'm glad yo hear you ordered from KPA again! I wonder what your freebie(s) will be this time! Btw, did you order any shrimp from them? Or just the rock flowers?

Archived