inTank Media Baskets

World's slowest custom 85g system. ...and there was coral. (p.18)

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

Semi-current FTS:

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/rollermonkey/media/P1000953_zps86b10deb.jpg.html'>P1000953_zps86b10deb.jpg

The plan is to place the tank in the kitchen and go peninsula along this rail between the kitchen and family room, with the bottom edge of the hood even with the ceiling of the family room. This puts the tank bottom about 34" off the floor, or about 8 inches below the railing.

P1000657_zps19aafa28.jpg

This is a picture of my tank, ordered on April 1st, and taken at Oceans By Design right after the water test on May 14th:

IMG_20130514_144438_841_zps58e09d50.jpg

I finally picked it up today, and we planned out the stand, hood and sump.

Dimensions are 36" x 24 x 20", so about 65 gallons, it's pre-drilled for a sump in the corner return. The sump will fill the entire bottom of the stand and have a built-in ATO reservoir 5" x 14" and the full 35" width of the stand (a little less than 10 gallons). Currently, the lighting plan is two Kessil A350's, and I'll have plenty of room in the stand for all but the biggest of reactors or skimmers.

I built the BioCube slowly, and now that I'm a full-time college student, this one's going to go even slower.

I might get this thing wet about October?
:lol:

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be discouraged by the amount of time it takes. My builds been crawling along for 3 months. I have the tank, display refuge, half a stand, a skimmer, and some LR on order from reef cleaners. At this rate, I might get it ready by Halloween myself.

Rollermonkey

Well... It will probably take me more than a month to even get the first half of the cash to start the stand... So I'm looking at maybe having that in my kitchen about 4 months after ordering my tank.

:)

Now that I think about it, I won't have lighting and the hood ready by October, so water's a loooong way away unless I get a big surprise change with my $$$ situation before September, when I should start getting my financial aid for school.

I guess that means I have time to make plans that will change 20 times before being done instead of the usual 10 times.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Rollermonkey

Equipment plans thus far:

Lighting: 2x Kessil A360W

Movement: 2x Vortech MP10wES + split return

Sump: This, width scaled to fit my stand, and with an ATO reservoir along the front:

sump-lg.gif

Filtration:

Skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 7 RLSS R-6i), three reactors, for biopellets, carbon and GFO, plus macros in the fuge / bad crab timeout section.

Controller: Apex Lite (from the BC)

ATO: Tunze 3155 (from the BC)

Return: Reef Octopus DC-3500 should be perfect at my static head and plumbing to get me a bit over 800GPH at max setting, so I can then dial it back a bit.

03-20401998479.jpg

What am I forgetting?

Putting this link here so I can stop searching for it whenever I'm thinking about my mixing station plans:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/333068-water-srorage/?hl=%2Bmixing+%2Bstation#entry4469811

Continuing the trend of posting my study notes in other people's build threads: Here's the plan for the mixing station stand.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335587-islandoftikis-nuvo-30-peacock-mantis-tank/?p=4553844

Very sweet build so far. I was going to have them build me a tank but I ran outta $$ lol. Next tax time for sure I'm going to jump on it, their work is excellent.

Rollermonkey

The tank is the cheap part.

I'm looking at $910 plus tax for stand and canopy. $900 plus tax for lights. $285 for the second MP10, plus $45 for an RF module for my old one. $350, minimum for a skimmer. Another $350 for reactors... Oh, look. OBD sells the sump, skimmer and reactors as a set for $1250... An $230 discount below individually purchased...

Hmm.

Yeah, that's going to take me more than a couple paychecks.

Rollermonkey

Fish thoughts:

Ocellaris Clownfish pair
1X Blue Assessor
1X Helfrichi Firefish

1X Coral Beauty Angel
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse pair
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse pair (maybe)
1X herbivorous blenny such as a Black Combtooth, Starry or Lawnmower

I wanted a Comet and Flame Hawkfish, but apparently Comets think fish are food, not friends and Hawks like to eat shrimp (much like I do! )

Corals...

I pretty much plan to go with 100% Reef Goddess corals. I like the blues, greens and purples mostly, so:

Miami Vice Zoanthids

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids

Caribbean Dream Leptastrea

Aussie Duncans

Purple Capricornis

Turqoise Discomas Mushrooms

Birds of Paradise Birdsnest

Ultra Toxic montipora deliculata

Strawberry Star Gonipora

Aquamarine Vermiculata

(Not a coral, but I want, nontheless: Ultra Blue Layercake Sponge)

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, an OBD tank buddy! They finished my tank/sump a couple weeks ago, and I've been sitting on it waiting for the right time to finish mine as well. Can't wait to see it once you get it all set up. :)

Tank build is looking very clean so far. The long thought out preparation IMO is always good. I'm planning a build And I also plan to cycle it 2-3mo maybe longer.

What do you plan on keeping as far as corals go? Sps :)

Rollermonkey

You know? I'm not as keen on corals as most here seem to be. I'm thinking of a few encrusting montis, a couple zoas, duncans, shrooms, candy canes, birdsnests... Basically, replacing all of the corals that have been compromised by bryopsis in my BC29, but with more room to grow out.

Rollermonkey

Deposit paid for custom stand.

:)

I should be able to pick it up (aka finish paying for it) at the beginning of August.

Only 27,000 steps to go!

Rollermonkey

I'm not building the stand or hood myself, so the next picture will be when the stand is finished in a couple weeks.

I probably won't be able to get the hood until September. And the sump not until November. Maybe I can get lights for Christmas. :)

I said it was going to be slow. :)

I could ask for the deposit on the hood for my birthday later this month, but I don't know for sure that I would be able to pay the rest any quicker that September 1st...

Gonna be sweet, hey some build just take a while. Mines has hit lots of slow down due to cars breaking down, my daughter being born, you know minor stuff :P But better slow and right then fast and 60 gallons on the floor, or something you not happy with ;)

Rollermonkey

omgomgomg

Wife is buying the hood for my birthday. This means I will pick up the stand on August 3rd and maybe the hood at the same time.

omgomgomg

Then I'd be able to order my base rock (100 pounds) and figure out / build up my rock during the first half of September before Fall classes start, (definitely looking for something less rockwall-ish than what I have in the BC) and learn tank/sump plumbing.

If certain other financial considerations play out the best way possible, I may be able to get the sump around October 1st and plumb the system and get a skimmer by November 1st. I may even get the tank cycled by the end of the year. :scarry:

Rollermonkey

Deposit for the hood has been placed. If I'm super stingy between then and now, I'll be able to pick up the stand and hood the first weekend of August.

I'll actually be able to get the tank out of the garage! (It's wrapped in saran wrap for now.)

Rollermonkey

...and for the second time in a week, the wife grazed the tank (on a shelf in the garage) with her car. No visible damage to the tank, not a chip, crack or split seam.

Can't say the same for her car.

...and yes, I've moved the tank.

Water test is gonna be scary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived