Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rsm 130D, I Had To Sell It!

nsousa

hey guys,
so after a rough start and some little issue's with my first batch of substrate here are some pics of my tank going through it cycle. Also included are some pics of my equipment a custom ATO water container and a
custom bracket that holds my Reefkeeper, my Tunze osmolator and my MP10 controller.
I hope you enjoy my pics, I sure enjoy looking at the tank and nothing is in there yet. lol!

post-66197-1349052988_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349052997_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053007_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053025_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053034_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053042_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053050_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053059_thumb.jpg
post-66197-1349053066_thumb.jpg
Let me know what you think!

here is a list of the equipment I have.

RSM 130D
Red Sea coral pro salt
Max water 6 stage RO/DI system
Intank media basket
Intank Tunze upgarde cup
Tunze 9002 skimmer
Tunze osmolator
Vortech MP10es
Ehiem jager 150 watt heater
ReefKeeper lite
Custom ATO water container
Custom bracket the holds the monitor and controllers

all the finest electronics ey? I bet you're actually watching all your display read outs and fancy lights not the tank! :lol:

Love the scape and the custom ATO reservoir, the stand looks soooo neat!

all the finest electronics ey? I bet you're actually watching all your display read outs and fancy lights not the tank! :lol:

Love the scape and the custom ATO reservoir, the stand looks soooo neat!

Lots of extra hours at work really pay off :)

I dont really catch my self looking at the displays very often...Ok I do...Joking!, I just keep ckecking my Temps to see if I gotta look into a buying a chiller. Hopefully not. During the day with no lights on its 78.5

I had the lights running tonight for about 5hrs and temprature reached 79.5 Im hoping to get by with out a chiller.

Thanks for the compliments on the tank I really tried to make it look nice.

I cant wait to get rid of some of those box's in the stand to have more room.

I'm actually trying to pick up a second job just for fish funds :lol: I got the addiction bad, although I think the only other thing I could add to my BC is a MP10 which would likely be over kill.

Do you know how to access the RKL 24 hour max and min temp? I know it is or was a function but have no idea how to get to it.

I really need to look into how to make a custom ATO Reservoir yours has inspired me.

I'm actually trying to pick up a second job just for fish funds :lol: I got the addiction bad, although I think the only other thing I could add to my BC is a MP10 which would likely be over kill.

Do you know how to access the RKL 24 hour max and min temp? I know it is or was a function but have no idea how to get to it.

I really need to look into how to make a custom ATO Reservoir yours has inspired me.

Sorry I dont know about that feature on the RKL, just learning how to use it still.

What I did for my ATO reservoir was go to a local acrylic place I had them cut it for me I also bought the little plastic hinges and weldbond 3 acrylic glue there. I used green painters tape to hold the shape together and then I glued it. about 10 minutes later I removed the tape and I applied some glue to the joints on the outside of the box. couple hours later I grabbed a a small plumbers torch and flame polished the edges. To tell you the truth that was my first try at it. There are some pretty good how to videos you tube on glueing acrylic. Secret is finding a plastic supplier who can cut the pieces for you.

thanks for the compliments guys! im really trying my best to keep everything clean and organized but im not sure how long that will last :P

Now im hoping someone will add me to the RSM's owner list B)

also I have a question im hoping you guys can give me your opinion on. I only turn my lights on for about an hour since im going through my cycle but my temps are 80 and they will most likely raise once I start leaving them on longer. I have the rsm cooling fan installed and its running 24/7 (thank god I got the ATO) I want to drop down to about 77-78 because I want to add corals once the time is right so here is my dilemma. Im thinking of either getting a chiller or upgrading to leds, whats your opinion on what I should buy to get the temprature lowered. Im thinking the chiller might be the best option since my temps are kind of high and I dint even have the light on, what you think?

also I have a question im hoping you guys can give me your opinion on. I only turn my lights on for about an hour since im going through my cycle but my temps are 80 and they will most likely raise once I start leaving them on longer. I have the rsm cooling fan installed and its running 24/7 (thank god I got the ATO) I want to drop down to about 77-78 because I want to add corals once the time is right so here is my dilemma. Im thinking of either getting a chiller or upgrading to leds, whats your opinion on what I should buy to get the temprature lowered. Im thinking the chiller might be the best option since my temps are kind of high and I dint even have the light on, what you think?

First of all, I'd leave your lights on just like you plan to when the cycle is finished. Growing algae is part of the cycle and then you can tell how hot your tank will get.

I had the same fear and problem when I set mine up and was very concerned I'd need a chiller as well. I live in Deep South Texas and the house is at 80 degrees almost all the time.

What did I do? Well........I totally rationalized getting a Radion instead of spending $$$ on a chiller and supplemental LED's. Now I have an open top, sort of, incredible lighting and if my tank does get too hot I have a double clip on fan.

Also, before you get too worried, test your water with a few different thermometers, your water might not be as hot as you think!

You could also consider adding a sump and add a cooling fan to that.

Ask Stevie T to add you to the Club and make a build thread in the members section, I think you'll get more responses to your questions there.

As I'm sure you know, Kat has an RSM as well and more experience than I do with the RSM.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide!

First of all, I'd leave your lights on just like you plan to when the cycle is finished. Growing algae is part of the cycle and then you can tell how hot your tank will get.

I had the same fear and problem when I set mine up and was very concerned I'd need a chiller as well. I live in Deep South Texas and the house is at 80 degrees almost all the time.

What did I do? Well........I totally rationalized getting a Radion instead of spending $$$ on a chiller and supplemental LED's. Now I have an open top, sort of, incredible lighting and if my tank does get too hot I have a double clip on fan.

Also, before you get too worried, test your water with a few different thermometers, your water might not be as hot as you think!

You could also consider adding a sump and add a cooling fan to that.

Ask Stevie T to add you to the Club and make a build thread in the members section, I think you'll get more responses to your questions there.

As I'm sure you know, Kat has an RSM as well and more experience than I do with the RSM.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide!

I spoke to stevie and he will be adding me on their soon. I think im going to wait a little and analyze the temps a bit longer. But if I had to I think I would get a chiller, I really dont feel good about opening up the hood and tearing it all apart already ive only had the tank for about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

I love RSM's and wish I had one. Great start so far and I'll be following :). Not a fan of the rock scape but I'm sure it will look good covered in coral

Cant wait til i pick up my RSM, wont have all the nicest equipment :(

But anyways liking yours alot

Your going to love your tank!

if your ever looking for equipment try the classifieds. I got everything from Intank except the Tunze Osmolator. They usually retail 200-240 brand new, I got mine brand new from some kid who

I guess needed the money, I only paid 120 believe it or not.

Your going to love your tank!

if your ever looking for equipment try the classifieds. I got everything from Intank except the Tunze Osmolator. They usually retail 200-240 brand new, I got mine brand new from some kid who

I guess needed the money, I only paid 120 believe it or not.

120 good score, yea i see things in there for a good deal but never when

I have the extra cash lol that how it always is

Are you running the stock lighting on yours?

Winter is coming, not sure you should invest in a chiller right now. I keep the feeder flap open when I'm worried about temperature. I also have fans hooked up to the controller. Initially they blew air on the DT via the open feeder flap, now the fan runs on the sump.

also if installing a sump, change the cabinet hinges, they are not rust proof.

120 good score, yea i see things in there for a good deal but never when

I have the extra cash lol that how it always is

Are you running the stock lighting on yours?

I am for now but I might upgrade to either rapid led kit or the modular led kit, Ive heard great review from both. I was looking at some posts of guys running the Echotech Radion inside the rsm hood. They would remove all the stock internals and apparently its fits nicely in there. You got a check out youtube videos of the radion its incredible.

Winter is coming, not sure you should invest in a chiller right now. I keep the feeder flap open when I'm worried about temperature. I also have fans hooked up to the controller. Initially they blew air on the DT via the open feeder flap, now the fan runs on the sump.

also if installing a sump, change the cabinet hinges, they are not rust proof.

Yeah, I read a post about your hinges rusting out on you after short period of time correct?

did you just replace them with some Home Depot hinges?

Radions are nice but thats alot cash

Im planing on just doing zoas and chalices so

Stock should be sufficient for me.

I know thats one of the issues with the mod :P

I spoke to Stevie from intank today about it he has one hanging above his tank. when I asked him about he didnt think it was a good idea because of mositure and heat issue.

If I can cool the area inside the hood well enough I think I could resolve the moisture problem by leaving the splash gaurd. But then I have the light sitting 2 inch from the water which it wasnt designed for. Maybe the radion might not be a good idea after all.

Yeah, I read a post about your hinges rusting out on you after short period of time correct?

did you just replace them with some Home Depot hinges?

Can't get to the hinges without removing the sump. I think I will wait till the door falls off or till I get a new sump whichever comes first. :lol:

I definately would not put a Radion in the stock RSM hood! It would be too close to the water and too much trapped heat and of course too much moisture, and way too hard to program it!!!

I definately would not put a Radion in the stock RSM hood! It would be too close to the water and too much trapped heat and of course too much moisture, and way too hard to program it!!!

do you think that even with a serious fan upgrade that I would have heat issue's?

as for moisture I read that the radion fan blows down (correct me if im wrong) what if

I left the splash guard in place?

for programing is the radion wirless?

cheers!

do you think that even with a serious fan upgrade that I would have heat issue's?

as for moisture I read that the radion fan blows down (correct me if im wrong) what if

I left the splash guard in place?

for programing is the radion wirless?

cheers!

I fear if you left the splash guard in place the light would over heat even with the fan. I know how you feel, I really wanted to somehow leave the stock hood in place.

There are a lot of clever folks who have found ways to install LED's in the RSM hood.

Unfortunately, you gotta plug in the Radion to a laptop to program it unless there is something new that I don't know about.

I fear if you left the splash guard in place the light would over heat even with the fan. I know how you feel, I really wanted to somehow leave the stock hood in place.

There are a lot of clever folks who have found ways to install LED's in the RSM hood.

Unfortunately, you gotta plug in the Radion to a laptop to program it unless there is something new that I don't know about.

I already ordered a new hood from RS but i still keep thinking about the Radion. I just really like the tank with the hood on it. When the new hood arrives Im going to open up the old one and see if I can do anything

to get lots of circulation through and it. Ill keep you posted.

Hey guys,

Ive been cycling my tank now for almost 3 weeks using a raw shrimp. My ammonia hit a all time high of 2.5. I cycled my previous tank with a shrimp but I dont remember it getting that high. Should I do anything? its a pretty big shrimp should I cut it in half or do a partial water change? my water is extremely cloudy.

Thanks!

Archived