Top Shelf Aquatics

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

SerenityReef

So far I have added-

inTank Media Basket- modified (third shelf & inside wall from second shelf down removed)

• Filter Floss
  • Purigen
inTank Pump Upgrade

MiniMax Reactor running SeaChem PhosGuard back of RSM

AI Sol Blue-

Apex Jr.

• EB8 (2)
  • WXM
  • VDM
  • PM1
2-MP10w ES

Neo Therm 200w

TUNZE Osmolator

• Custom 4g reservoir
LR from my BC14

VidaRock Bonsai

LifeReefugium

• LifeReef Prefilter w/ Silencer
  • Foam, Matrix, E.S.V. Carbon
  • IM SkimMate Midsize with airline mod
  • Fiji Mud for Refugium
  • Santa Monica HOG.5 UAS
  • MiniMax Reactor Fauna Marin GFO in Sump
  • Mag 7 in Return Chamber
2- BRS 1.1 mL Dosing Pump (E.S.V. Calc & Alk)

inTank Filtration Cover

Livestock

• Green Frogspawn
  • "Blue Smurf" Favia- Unigue Corals*
  • Aussie Tri-Color Blasto- Unique Corals*
  • Green Candy Cane- High Def Corals*
  • Red Blasto-High Def Corals*
  • Cherry Blasto- Unique Corals
  • Napthea Palau
  • Metallic Green Bali Candycane
  • Electric Blue Candycane
  • Duncan
  • Red Velvet Scoly- Unique Corals
  • Cycloseris**
  • Brain Coral- Tidal Gardens
  • Acan- Austin Aquatic Farms
  • Ricordea Yuma
  • Purple Hammer Coral- Austin Aquatic Farms
  • Aussie Hammer Coral- Unique Corals
  • Red & Green Trachy- Unique Corals
  • Dr. "Purple Erkle" Favia- Unique Corals
  • Blue Streak War Coral- Unique Corals
  • Black Lotus Blasto- Tidal Gardens
  • Frogspawn Acropora- Tidal Gardens
  • Harlequin Cyphastrea- Tidal Gardens
  • Cynarina Voodoo-Hologram- Tidal Gardens
  • Tridacna Derasa Clam
  • Metallic Neon Green/Yellow w/ Sky Blue Disc St. Thomas Mushroom
  • Fox Coral
  • Rasta Rainbow Acan
  • Ultra Neon Chartreuse Fade Flower Anemone
  • Death Star Acan- AcanLord
  • Zeus's Fist Acan- AcanLord
  • Triple Rainbow Acan Echinata
  • Black Maxima Clam
  • Cornbred Ultimate Space Invader Pectinia
  • Cornbred Purple Monster Chalice
  • Green Bird of Paradise
  • Red Planet
Zoa's

• Red & Green
  • Ice Sky
  • Blue Hornet
  • Purple Hornet
  • Red Hornet
  • Bam Bam's
  • Unique Corals Forest Green's
  • "Yellow Submarine" Paly- Unique Corals
  • Gaint Paly- Unique Corals
  • Black Hornet
  • Fire & Ice
  • Blue Ice
  • Hybrid G Hornets
  • Mary Jane
  • Blood Rain's
  • Vampire PE
  • PZ Blackberry Voodoo
  • G Hornet
  • Lunar Eclipse
  • PZ Zero-G P
  • Super Saiyans
  • Yoda Paly
  • Tyree Space Monster
  • JF Golden Empire**
  • Gold Maul**
  • Blue's Clues
  • King Midas
  • Kedd Reds
  • Spear of Triam's
  • Pink Hippo
  • Utter Monster
  • Blue Agave
  • DC Full Metal Bursts
  • Electric Oompa Loompa
  • Cornbred Goblin's on Fire
Macro Algae

• Blue Ochtodes
  • Red Dragons
  • Rhodopeltis
  • Mangroves
  • Red Grape
  • Halimeda
  • Red Palm
  • Codium lucasii Metallic Blue and Green Macrolgae
*MACNA 2012

**Next Wave 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Way cool! I glad you started this build thread, I'll be watching closely!

Question: Wouldn't you want to put the media in the sump and not in the back chambers of the RSM, so you don't have any flow issues back there? I'm not sure, but I think that Kat did this.

I ended up with a Radion on mine and then reconfigured the stock RSM lights and put them back on. I'm very happy with this.

SerenityReef
Wow! Way cool! I glad you started this build thread, I'll be watching closely!

Question: Wouldn't you want to put the media in the sump and not in the back chambers of the RSM, so you don't have any flow issues back there? I'm not sure, but I think that Kat did this.

I ended up with a Radion on mine and then reconfigured the stock RSM lights and put them back on. I'm very happy with this.

Kat did have this issue...

Guessing on how I am seeing (in my head :D ) water flow I see a precentage cycling back into the tank without ever making it into the sump. Media basket provides easy changing of floss, Purigen shouldn't affect flow or minimal at best, CPE can affect flow, though I am betting on using a smaller bag of CPE, as I see it as just a percentage of the tank I feel even the 6.25 oz bag could be used to some benefit.

So you went back to a modified stock instead of the Radion?

Yep, Kat knows I have problems "seeing" the flow patterns as well with a sump.

Actually, I have a Radion and the stock lights.

SerenityReef
Yep, Kat knows I have problems "seeing" the flow patterns as well with a sump.

Actually, I have a Radion and the stock lights.

You have pictures posted of that on your thread? Know what page?

SerenityReef
Brian, you will discover that the RSM flow patterns defy logic. IMO anyway.

Hmm your opinion is usually right...Did you try my suggestion before you put the rack up FS?

Hmm your opinion is usually right...Did you try my suggestion before you put the rack up FS?

it didn't matter, an empty media rack with "just" floss" raised my water level soon as the floss clogged up.

Have to change the floss daily or every 2 days. Not impossible to do (and actually easier that changing the filter socik in the sump. I might give it another shot.

You have pictures posted of that on your thread? Know what page?

I couldn't find pics in my thread, it has too much BS in it, lol.

These pics aren't very good, but first I made an acrylic box to shade the Radion and hide the stuff in the back, and to keep fish from jumping. I was very happy with the Radion but because of the way my rock sculpture is made, the Radion caused a lot of shadows, so I added back the stock lights. After getting them out of the RSM hood, I made some more acrylic boxes to fit the lights in. The lights just sit in the box.

As you know the stock lights are great and I think they add some color that the Radion does not.

Also the open top allowed me to put on a fan, so I don't have no need for a chiller.

059.jpg

060.jpg

20120721_151914.jpg

SerenityReef
059.jpg

060.jpg

20120721_151914.jpg

That is awesome! Don't think I will copy exactly but diffenitly has me thinking about it completely differently.

I know you don't have a LFS, where did you get your DR?

That is awesome! Don't think I will copy exactly but diffenitly has me thinking about it completely differently.

I know you don't have a LFS, where did you get your DR?

I'm really excited to see what you do with this!

I got my rock from John at Reefcleaners. I think it was 50lbs for $50. I took a hammer to it and over a week end and a bottle of tequila, I built it. It was fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had to write in to Red Sea Max this evening.

After adding a sump in the cabinet of my RSM130D barely 2 months ago, the hinges on the cabinet are rusted. I am left wondering if the nuts and bolts of the cabinet will similarly rust away making the cabinet unsafe to carry the weight of my tank. Spending nearly $1000 on this tank and stand should not result in rusted hinges. I am very unhappy.

IMG_20120913_230455.jpg

IMG_20120913_230507.jpg

Wow not cool! I am missing some dowels I was planning on replacing, maybe rethinking the stand.

If I had to do it over again, I'd definately build a stand for it and make it bigger so it had a ledge on it, for placing fish food, additives, and beer. Also, it would be bigger underneath for more crap to fit under there.

If you do use the stock stand, I use some glue on it like Kat did, I wish I woulda done that.

thadscottmoore

yeah, my hinges are shot! of course, the stand was not designed for a sump-if it was, then Red Sea would have included stainless hinges. Ffor me to remove mine- I would have to remove my sump as it is in the way of getting to screws on side of cabinet. Tempted to just remove the door all together or order new ones and soak them in some type of grease to protect them from the elements in the enclosure..

Oh I didn't think about that, I too would have to remove my sump to replace the hinges. Maybe they did not think RSM owners would install a sump but surely they would have thought about reactors. The cabinet is designed to hold a chiller, I'm not sure how chillers work but wouldn't there be emissions of something that would rust out the hinges?

thadscottmoore
Oh I didn't think about that, I too would have to remove my sump to replace the hinges. Maybe they did not think RSM owners would install a sump but surely they would have thought about reactors. The cabinet is designed to hold a chiller, I'm not sure how chillers work but wouldn't there be emissions of something that would rust out the hinges?

Chillers and such are enclosed looped systems. no exposure of saltwater to cabinet. At least we can warn those future sump builds to act on this advice and protect those hinges or remove the door all together.

Behold my ghetto glue job

11%20-%201.jpg

11%20-%201.jpg

Now that's sexy!

I was debating using the stock shelf and some industrial slide bars so I could pull the sump out of the cabinet for maintance, guess I need to research stainless sliders...

thadscottmoore
Now that's sexy!

I was debating using the stock shelf and some industrial slide bars so I could pull the sump out of the cabinet for maintance, guess I need to research stainless sliders...

just be aware of the weight of that sump when pulling it out (sump full of water could be well over 100+ pounds in weight). The sliders would have to be something heavy duty and I would worry about structure of cabinet under such stress if the sump was pulled out full. I could picture sliding sump out and weight toppling the stand and tank over with it. Maybe if stand was mounted to wall somehow to reinforce the structure and prevent stress on cabinet. just my 2 cents of input. The general idea would be cool though!

just be aware of the weight of that sump when pulling it out (sump full of water could be well over 100+ pounds in weight). The sliders would have to be something heavy duty and I would worry about structure of cabinet under such stress if the sump was pulled out full. I could picture sliding sump out and weight toppling the stand and tank over with it. Maybe if stand was mounted to wall somehow to reinforce the structure and prevent stress on cabinet. just my 2 cents of input. The general idea would be cool though!

+1

I would not put in sliders, there is no need to take out the sump for any kind of maintenance.

Archived