Coral Vue Hydros

how to convince people that their are 10 gallon reefs and they are not 1000

Reret10

a religious water change once a week, salt, and a better light fixture is the only essential difference in maintanence or equipment between a goldfish tank and a reef tank. that is no harder than taking the trash out once a week and plenty of 14 year olds have to do that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well firstly you could perhaps find a guy who lives near you to say otherwise, like give you and your mom a tour of his nano-reef. Mentioning that many fish stores are inherently evil is one idea, but I doubt she will buy that.

You could simply keep a "nemo" (or evil blue damsel) in a 10 gallon tank, do base rock and keep it dirt cheap. Then after a month or two buy a PAR38 LED light or such, and finally add a frag of some idiot proof coral to ensure your success. After your mom has confidence add more frags :)

I was 16 when I started, my parents doubted me but I spent the $800 for an aquapod24, LR, and all the trimmings. It was my money and they let me spend it. It was something sensible not various things like video games that have degenerative qualities.

The biggest key is to be respectful to adults, no matter who they are or how they act. Don't push, poke, prod or otherwise be a stereotypical teen.

JM nailed it.

I want you to read this thoroughly. It's sound advice and is very reasonable on the wallet.

devilsadvocate
coool but did yo save up for the 40 gallon tank because when your my age a job is not tooo easy and the other problem is we go away for the summer and well my dad says that i can get some more pets if i find out what to do while i am in engaland the australia the new york so all summer we are gone every year and well moving a 40 gallon reef tank is impossable for a kid my age. i have a bearded dragon a leopard gecko a 10 gallon freashwater a goldfish a cat and a betta fish and next year a jellyfish tank and hopefully a ten gallon nano reef

well i had my 20 gallon for almost 1.5 years. i went on the cheap with everything on it.(looked ####ty imo)

so when i decided i wanted a 40, i saved for about 7 months. ive got like ~2500$ in the tank now.

but by no means does it have to be that expensive, i just wanted to be fancy.

1. I would recommend using correct punctuation, grammar and spelling if you choose to post.

meh :unsure: .....

i have never bothered with this

It helps with the comprehension.

The more clear the question, the better we answer it.

JM nailed it.

I want you to read this thoroughly. It's sound advice and is very reasonable on the wallet.

+1

devilsadvocate
What does that have to do with anything...

ok, this is the ONE time when your avy applies.

well i thought that we needed a topic changer for the moment but well i cant wait for my jellyfish tank to come yay yay yay

Jacob042426

im 13 and started a 3 gallon in jan. with very little money. the tank looks really great and i havent spent over $300, not incuding the bongo shrimp :P .

yes iball i am because i will take any saltwater thing my mom says is cool which is odd because she is cool with a 400 dollar kerisel and not a ten gallon nano reef huh well i just realized that. well at the moment i would rather have a jellyfish than a reef because honestly what chanses are you going to have to get a jellyfish tank

Wait, you haven't even started a SW tank and you're going straight to jellyfish?

This is the 2nd time your avatar applies

colormyheart
yes iball i am because i will take any saltwater thing my mom says is cool which is odd because she is cool with a 400 dollar kerisel and not a ten gallon nano reef huh well i just realized that. well at the moment i would rather have a jellyfish than a reef because honestly what chanses are you going to have to get a jellyfish tank

Baby steps. Jellyfish are more difficult to keep than a simple clownfish and some zoas.

ya iball you are such a pesamist if it fails then guess what i will try try try again and with experiance this time too so soon i will have salty side experiance

Op, it is easy for someone your age to keep a tank, but maybe there is a reason why your mom won't let you. You changed your mind multiple times, said you will be traveling, and said you've done research, but it's all a little flimsy to me. You should know through research that you can't leave all summer long and just have everything be hunky dory. And you can't move a tank 4 or 5 times within 3 months.

colormyheart
ya iball you are such a pesamist if it fails then guess what i will try try try again and with experiance this time too so soon i will have salty side experiance

Trying over and over is a waste of jellyfish and money. What makes you think your mom will let you set up tanks over and over again? As it is, she won't let you keep a simple reef setup.

i bet ya 5 bucks that this will work and i will have this tank for at least 6 months and if they die then well sucks for me because then it will just be a snail goby hermit crab tank and is that sooo bad nope

in the summer my moms students look after the tanks because they stay in our house because it is next to the collage they go to so no sweat there. the summer is less of a problem

Archived