Pod Your Reef

The Enchanted Forest: My 10g Macro Tank

gena

FTS 6-11-12

macrofts.jpg

Specs

Tank

Approximately 10 gallons (17" x 11" x 12")

Lighting

2x 18w Current Nova Extreme T5HO fixture

Filtration

AC20 HOB Filter with sponge

Macroalgae

Live Rock

Heater

Eheim Jager TruTemp 50 Watt Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater

Rock and Sand

approximately 10 pounds Maricultured purple Fiji Rock

no sandbed

Livestock

Fish

1 Orange-Lined Cardinalfish

Cleanup crew

2 nano serpent stars (from sealifeinc.net)

assortment of snails

Inverts

6 Sexy Shrimp

2 nano serpent stars

Macroalgae

C. Barbata

Padina Sp.

Spicifera

Green Gracilaria

Dragon Tongue

Blue Ochtode

Violet Dream

Nemastoma

Yet to be identified macros

Red nano sponge

Orange Frilly Sponge

Orange gorgonian

Yellow Gorgonian

Coral

pink cabbage leather

ricordea florida

Red, pink mushrooms

zoanthids

Maxi-mini anemones

Maintenance Routine

2.5 gallon water changes once a week

top off 1-2x per day

Feed 1x per day

• Like 1
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MeanGreenEyes

One word...gorgemous! lol I'm loving the colorful macros...may just have start adding them to my setups...

First! Ooooohh, I likey the colors. Nice work Gena.

Thank you JD :)

So, all macroalgae survived the night. I only see 5 sexy shrimp..should be 6. Hopefully one is just in hiding. There was one that was separated from the group yesterday. Unfortunately he was around where the fish hangs out. Everything I've read says they are compatible, hopefully I didn't get a rogue fish!!!!!!!! Time will tell.

This tank started as an annex to my NC12, a frag tank...if you will. All the over-flow from the nano-cube was to come in here and then sold. It's still that, but I'm doing a major focus on macroalgae.

Some pics. from it's beginnings:

fragtank6.jpg

fragtank11.jpg

fragtank9.jpg

4-18-12no11.jpg

fragmacrotank.jpg

fragtank.jpg

macro2.jpg

macro1.jpg

macro6.jpg

macro5.jpg

macro3.jpg

After getting tired of having to remove the egg crate to hunt down frags that fell through...I decided to remove it permanently. Now I have a magnetic frag rack and soap dishes as well as a bare bottom tank, to hold frags.

I'm a macroalgae noob so I'm learning as I go. This is an experiment that I hope has excellent results.

I love your set ups! I'm sure we'll need to start a frag-TOTM soon for this one!

noooo omgomgomg

:lol:

Thanks, Sara.

I'll get some pics of the macros today and you can see if you'd be interested in any.

One word...gorgemous! lol I'm loving the colorful macros...may just have start adding them to my setups...

Thank you!!!!! Macros are pretty awesome. They look pretty and are functional water cleaners :) Definitely add some to your displays

wow stunning! Great job! :)

Thanks a bunch :happy:

I'm so jealous right now. I absolutely love this tank gena. I am getting my first display macro from deckoz. I'm thinking of making my 5.5 a mixture of coral and macros but just the really bright ones. Where did you get all the sponges?

Very nice looking. Can't wait to see how this grows!

Thank you! I'm anxious to see as well!!!!!

I'm so jealous right now. I absolutely love this tank gena. I am getting my first display macro from deckoz. I'm thinking of making my 5.5 a mixture of coral and macros but just the really bright ones. Where did you get all the sponges?

Thanks, jg!!!!!! Definitely add the macros. I got the sponges from sealifeinc.net. They definitely add a pop of color to the tank :)

Really lovely. I'd love to get my hands on a selection of macro algae. I live in the UK and it's not something that's readily available (as far as I've seen). Any other UK members got any ideas? I can get my hands on Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha but that's about it :(

I love this tank so much. I love all the color you are getting from the sponges and macros - and that wonderful maxi-mini.

Whenever I start daydreaming about a bigger tank, I always end up with some strange hybrid SPS/Anemone/Macro fantasy... This is my dream tank :lol:

willow659

I love this display so much I just had to register an account here to post on your thread. Really amazing!! Where did you get your macros? I'm setting up a nano (15 gal) sphere and this is so beautiful. Its been sitting with only water for the past 6 months until I figured out the perfect display. And now I have :) thank you!

Really love the variety of colors, and the sexies. :happy:
:happy: ... excellent!
this is awesome!!!
WOW!

That tank is beautiful!

It is impossible for you to make a bad tank.....please give me some of your skillz please :P
:wub:
Very pretty!

Wow!!!!! Thanks, you guys!!!! I'm glad you like this tank :) The colors definitely make my NC12 look pale in comparison.

Really lovely. I'd love to get my hands on a selection of macro algae. I live in the UK and it's not something that's readily available (as far as I've seen). Any other UK members got any ideas? I can get my hands on Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha but that's about it :(

Thank you!!!! I hope you can find some. I know you have things over there that I wish I could get my hands on. Like some awesome looking mushrooms. I hope you are able to find some macros!!!!!

I love this tank so much. I love all the color you are getting from the sponges and macros - and that wonderful maxi-mini.

Whenever I start daydreaming about a bigger tank, I always end up with some strange hybrid SPS/Anemone/Macro fantasy... This is my dream tank :lol:

Thanks, pbj!!!!! This tank has been a dream of mine for awhile now (macros, maxis, and sexy shrimp). I didn't think I'd ever manage to have it though, due to lack of space and $$$$ to maintain another tank, stocking, etc. The fact that this is also my frag tank, for making money, at least psychologically off-sets the cost of care. Hopefully I can make some money on selling things from it. I'm thrilled to have it...that's for sure.

I love this display so much I just had to register an account here to post on your thread. Really amazing!! Where did you get your macros? I'm setting up a nano (15 gal) sphere and this is so beautiful. Its been sitting with only water for the past 6 months until I figured out the perfect display. And now I have :) thank you!

:welcome: Wow!!!! Thanks, willow!!!!! I purchased my macros from a few places. Kataro, here on n-r.com, reefcleaners.org, and live-plants.com. All were successful purchases. I suggest adding sponges and gorgonians too, and those came from sealifeinc.net. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I hope you'll be able to share the tank with us at some point!!!

This isn't just a frag tank anymore lol. This dt quality!

Thanks :) I agree. It's really drifting from being just a frag tank :lol:

I have new photos. I think 10 of them!!!!!! And some updates. I ended up getting the cardinalfish out of this tank. I'm certain he ate a sexy shrimp. He was quite fiesty and aggressive when I fed him so that's what makes me think he picked it off. So........I had to pull the rocks out to get him and of course I couldnt get them back exactly where they were. I ended up adding one piece of dry rock to fill space. The sponges had to move..the red one came unglued to the rock. Hopefully it will handle the move ok.

I picked up a gorg at my LFS today. It was pretty cheap with my fish trade in. I asked the owner to get me more sexies too...gosh I love those little guys. And to replace the cardinalfish...I'm getting two baby ocellaris clownfish. He's looking for bright maxis for me as well. And macros.

I did remove the scroll algae since the snails were going to town on it. It was falling apart. I also lost one other macro that turned white at the tips and started melting. I don't even know what it was called as it came with my red sample pack. It's unfortunate too...I liked it a lot. Everything else is doing great!!!!!! I think that's all the updates. Here are the photos:

New gorgonia

tank5-7-12no5.jpg

Mushies.....my true loves

tank5-7-12no4.jpg

C. Barbata

tank5-7-12no3.jpg

tank5-7-12no8.jpg

Dragon's tongue from Brad:

tank5-7-12no6.jpg

Sexies

tank5-7-12.jpg

tank5-7-12no2.jpg

tank5-7-12no9.jpg

tank5-7-12no7.jpg

FTS 5-7-12

tank5-7-12no10.jpg

altolamprologus

You have all 3 of my favorite inverts in one tank: macro algae, sponges. and gorgonians :) This tank looks great. I can't wait to see what you do with it over the next couple years.

You have all 3 of my favorite inverts in one tank: macro algae, sponges. and gorgonians :) This tank looks great. I can't wait to see what you do with it over the next couple years.

Thanks, alto! The species in this tank are all my favorite things :) I like having the coral tank (NC12) but I can honestly say I like this forest tank even more!!!!!!! I too can't wait to see what it does over the next couple of years.

I've been trying to get as much info as I can on macros/sponges/gorgonians. Do you know of any good books out there?

Archived