Pod Your Reef

Biggest mistakes or bad purchases?

lagunastudio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion
^Tis the common curse for us reefers...

Hahaha, not if you don't have the $$$ to switch up in the first place!

Adding spirulina to my system, I don't know why i did but it made a giant explosion of digitate hydroids that stung everything. Buying nice zoanthids and having them all melt from 85F temps in my tank, me not knowing that's rather hot.

Having a "toby" pufferfish in a 7 gallon tank that needs much more, they aren't clownfish even if they don't grow bigger then one :(

coachfraley

Bought an anemone and didnt cover up my mp10.

Anemone stayed put while the lights were on, as soon as they went out it jumped off the rock and wound up in the mp10. Luckily I came into the room right after it happened, so only a little bit of the anemone got chewed up and spit out by the powerhead. Lost the anemone, but nothing else.

Vowed to stick to corals... so I can place them where I want them!

Also, impulse LFS fish buys. nothing like breaking down live rock to catch a fish!

Biggest mistake is how I always change my mind and upgrade or down size a tank.. Never can truly be satisfied.......

Haha, I'm having the same problem! 55 gallon -> 75 gallon -> 40 gallon -> wanting something a little shallower. :)

My biggest noob mistake....thinking it's okay to add an unidentified hitchhiker cucumber to my main tank just because I "quarantined it for a few weeks".

This thread is lacking on posts, I know there's more mistakes out there! Fess up people!

Xenias. Horrible little things will overtake and kill everything.

Kill everything? Fast growing and invasive yes, but xenia has no defenses. They arent toxic or anuthing. I could see it growing over some defenseless sps but my frogspawn murders xenia on a regular basis.

Accidentally ordering the non-chloramine specific RO/DI setup when and not noticing until it had already shipped. Took an extra week (felt like a month) before I could get the right filters to convert it and start making water.

lagunastudio

yes tearing down rock work to get a fish out suckssss. My pulsing xenias are growing very fast. You can control the direction they grow with powerheads.. I read that some people grow them up the back of there tank.. thinking about trying that

Bio-Wheel filters - Solution in search of a problem if you think about it. Ok, so you actually want to move your biological filter to an external device rather than inside the tank?

Aqua-C Remora - Over priced and hugely over rated bubble squirter. A wooden airstone and a 2-liter pepsi bottle does a better job as per first hand experience.

Sea-Clone skimmer - POS.

Hydor flow water deflector - POS. Cuts water flow by about 60% for one thing.

Tetra water heaters - POS. Fixed temp my a**

Plexiglass hexagon tanks - look cool in the show room. Utter PITA to maintain given the small opening on top, rounded edges you can't get a mag scraper around, and bad design. Makes cool terrarium or gerbil cage though.

Biggest mistakes or bad purchases

My first tank.

Best purchase:

The shipping to give all my reefing stuff away.

not making a lid for my tank. or a stand taller than my kids lol

My 2yr old decided to toss a few toys in the tank along with his ball cap and choclate kinder egg.

Just happend 5mins ago.

not making a lid for my tank. or a stand taller than my kids lol

My 2yr old decided to toss a few toys in the tank along with his ball cap and choclate kinder egg.

Just happend 5mins ago.

Sounds like the mistake happened 2 years and 9 months ago. :happy:

Archived