Pod Your Reef

I.D. Please

blaksheep67

blaksheep67

I purchased these on a frag several months ago with these small green polyps that were waving in the LFS tank and looked cool they have green somewhat since then (the stretch out towards the light) and I tried searching the web for an I.D. with no luck.

44fb48ac.jpg

altolamprologus

Goniopora sp. aka flower pot coral. You're going to want to start feeding it if you don't already

blaksheep67

I feed the tank phyto is that good enough ? I was actually thinking about removing it to give the purple cloves some more room to spread.

10740fcc.jpg

Builder Anthony

if you want them to spread make sure the plug is touching the rockbefore the matt spreads around the plug

blaksheep67
if you want them to spread make sure the plug is touching the rockbefore the matt spreads around the plug

Thanks, They are already spreading on the live rock ! The small cluster to the extreme right.

10740fcc.jpg

Those purple cloves will cover that rock in no time, and they'll soon start popping up all over your tank! if that acro is within a few inches of them i'd consider moving that as well!

Congrats with your goni, he's looking happy, they can be very difficult to please sometimes!

blaksheep67
Those purple cloves will cover that rock in no time, and they'll soon start popping up all over your tank! if that acro is within a few inches of them i'd consider moving that as well!

Congrats with your goni, he's looking happy, they can be very difficult to please sometimes!

Thanks, I heard the cloves spread like weeds, but me being new to saltwater it is kind of nice for me to see something actually spreading from a plug onto my live rock. The goni is nice and happy but its GREEN (common color) I am looking for color and the purple cloves have a real nice color to them. The Acro is actually on a "nano" frag rack that I made :)

d41a137a.jpg

don't be so upset it's green, the green one's are commonly considered to be the hardest to keep long term so if you can keep a non ORA goni happy, you're well on your way to a happy tank! and yes in my experience nearly all types of anthelia are weeds, we have pulsing xenia which just appears all over our tank, miles away from the original colony! we also have a little plug of the tiny blue one's, i roll it over every week or so, the stuff on the bottom dies off while the bare spot on top will be re-covered with 3-4 days!

Builder Anthony

its not the safest thing to do b y rolling them over.I figure your talking about sand but that stuff can create brown slime just like any other dying coral.JUst a heads up to you.

it's nothing intentional to be honest, i'm too lazy to go and pick up some frag plugs and the frag is on a bit of wierd shaped rock that never sits properly on the frag rack so when it falls over, i'm generally too lazy to pick it up straight away, plus i don't like having my hands in the tank so often, so it usually just rolls over for a bit till i remember to pick it up and straighten it again, as for any die-off, my peps are voracious when it comes to cleaning my frags, plus constant carbon (did i mention i'm really lazy???) means i don't have any problems :-)

Archived