Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this montipora dying?

Yossarian88

Yossarian88

I broke off the top part of a purple montipora digitata while doing a water change and reattached the top to a rock. After a month I noticed a dark blotch appearing at the base, basically a dark stream extending upward. Photo attached. Similar condition with bottom part that it broke off of. Any thoughts on how bad is this and what should be done?

Tank description: 75 gal, 48" long, 2 years old, mostly LPS w/ a few montipora; shrimp goby, two oscellaris, midas blenny and bicolor blenny. Nitrate and phosphate consistently non-detect based on Salifert and APS tests. Montipora near top of tank, lit by Nova Extreme Pro with a mix of six 48" ATI bulbs (1 “Purple Plus,” 2 “Blue Plus” 2 “Actinic” and 1 “Aquablue.”)

post-50881-1334340209_thumb.jpg

Usually as the tissue recedes you will see white from the calcium carbonate skeleton of the coral. It looks like the tissue is dying, but it is showing up blackish and not white. Interesting. I would hazard a guess and say it is dying. Does it look like there is tissue and then it just stops or drops off?

Yossarian88
Usually as the tissue recedes you will see white from the calcium carbonate skeleton of the coral. It looks like the tissue is dying, but it is showing up blackish and not white. Interesting. I would hazard a guess and say it is dying. Does it look like there is tissue and then it just stops or drops off?

Looks like an orange that has been peeled just a little bit. Blue outer skin and a recessed darker place.

I had a date like that once, but that's a different story.

Archived