Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this on my blue clove polyps?

600RR

Are my blue cloves releasing eggs? Came home tonight and discovered these little egg looking things. At first I thought they were Purigen beads but they're smaller and clump together. The blue cloves have been growing really really well since I put them in but now they look deflated and look like they might melt.

Good? Bad? If it is releasing eggs, could it soon take over my tank? I guess I should siphon them out...

Thanks...

blueclove1.jpg

blueclove2.jpg

well crap, that's no good...

and as I was attempting to siphon some out, I discovered there are probably thousands of eggs underneath the cloves...

altolamprologus

Good news is they're easily stung by other corals so they really only colonize empty spaces.

well crap, that's no good...

and as I was attempting to siphon some out, I discovered there are probably thousands of eggs underneath the cloves...

Could also be fish eggs or something like that. Do you have any pairs in the tank?

Good news is they're easily stung by other corals so they really only colonize empty spaces.

Could also be fish eggs or something like that. Do you have any pairs in the tank?

Hmm...that may be interesting then. I'll have a lawn of blue cloves with other corals within the lawn...

Nope, just one hi fin goby that was introduced yesterday.

altolamprologus

Then it is coral eggs. If you have the space, an interesting experiment would be to set up a small tank and add the eggs and rock rubble and see if they'll settle and grow :D

Well, I guess I'll just see what happens.

I'm already limited on space. It's a tiny 6gal fluval edge. I guess I can always frag these out if they take over. I think I like my lawn idea as well.

Well, I guess I'll just see what happens.

I'm already limited on space. It's a tiny 6gal fluval edge. I guess I can always frag these out if they take over. I think I like my lawn idea as well.

I saw them take over a friends 200g tank within a yr. He had them growing over palys to the point they were being smothered.

P1020447-1.jpg

well the polyps are on a flat disc sitting on a rock. There are about 4 or 5 contact points between the disc and the rock but they don't appear to be spreading onto the rock. The disc is maxed out of place for polyps.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. A few days after you see the eggs you will see larvae. I think its cool, and i dont mind if it takes over my RSM 130. LOL

Blue Cloves are a total nuisance in my opinion. In my tank, they choked out and killed several ricordias and so many of my zoanthids I lost count. I wish there was some evil snail to eat them all! :ninja:

Archived