Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

OMG! Brain Coral is eating my Azure Damselfish

dtum

Everything was fine before the lights went off, I've target fed some of my corals and then went away from the tank for a few minutes. Imagine my surprise when I saw the following picture in my aquariums just 10 minutes later.

5a03aa92.jpg

I don't know what to make of it, never even thought that something like that is possible. Here's the video I took right away:

How did it catch the fish? This explains where my Royal Gramma and Clown went, they completely disappeared a week or so ago. I am truly shocked.

I felt really bad for the fish but figured that the coral must have stunned her badly, so there was no point of helping her out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fish might of been trying to eat out of the corals mouth. I lost a peppermint shrimp to my maxi mini that way

Yep, that would make sense. I did not feed the fish today and only went and only went ahead and fed the corals. So the damsel must've just gone after some food off of the coral.

But what will happen next?

TeflonTomDosh

that's almost as cool as when I got to see a Great Blue Heron stalking and eating Muscovy Duck chicks the other day :D :D :D

I jus watched the video. It's still alive????? I'd have rescued him by now...poor fish :(

Yeah, I wanted to get it out, but now it is not breathing and it was severely shocked by the time I noticed it.

I would pull the fish out. I don't think that brain coral will be able to eat and digest that whole fish.

I am now pretty certain that it was this coral that got rid of the other fish.

Yeah, I wanted to get it out, but now it is not breathing and it was severely shocked by the time I noticed it.

I am now pretty certain that it was this coral that got rid of the other fish.

All the shoulda woulda coulda's, it's too late now. Watch for when it spits it back out, and save your tank from an increase in nutrients and ammonia. Even of you did pull it out, who knows if it would lived. There is a good chance it would have his behind a rock and died.

Well, I'm going to document it as this action unfolds.

The fish is in the process of being swallowed. The blood shrimp and pom-pom crab are circling around, they seem extremely excited.

I am in the process of shooting another video. This is unbelievable!

Even of you did pull it out, who knows if it would lived. There is a good chance it would have his behind a rock and died.

That was my thinking as well.

Wow, the Pom-Pom has climbed on top of the brain coral and is eating away at the fish. This is unbelievable!

You can view the third video:

. This one is now available in HD as well.
rudeanduncouth
The brain coral looks very healthy.

Of course it is, it has been eating all of his fish lol. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Sorry for you loss, but it is nature at work. Awesome looking brain though.

This morning the coral looked smug, fat and fully satisfied. And the funny thing, I know that look. I've seen it at least two more times, that's when the other two fish gone missing. Oh well, now I know. Wonder what should I do next with this killer coral.

acropora1981
This morning the coral looked smug, fat and fully satisfied. And the funny thing, I know that look. I've seen it at least two more times, that's when the other two fish gone missing. Oh well, now I know. Wonder what should I do next with this killer coral.

I also have an azure damsel (they're one of my favorites) and a large open brain... making me worry!

I also have an azure damsel (they're one of my favorites) and a large open brain... making me worry!

That coral has eaten my Royal Gramma and Clown fish. :(

acropora1981
I had a Azure Damsel once, mean territoral (super pretty) little thing.

Sure it wasn't a yellow tail? Azure are one of my fav's because they are a passive damsel.

surgicalsense
Sure it wasn't a yellow tail? Azure are one of my fav's because they are a passive damsel.

You can tell the way the yellow run under the fish and just not the tail only :P .... I know somethings :lol:

It was a Azure ... I think I have still have pictures of it in my tank thread before I exiled it from the tank.

Mine was mean, it would not allow my clowns to even come near the rocks. I am sure if I had a larger tank that might not of been an issue.

Archived