Pod Your Reef

Prices are ridiculous!

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

Does anyone live in Colorado? Because the prices here are HORRIBLE

Bubble anemones small are now 60.00$ when I remember I used to get them for about 25.00$

Wow and I went looking for a pearly jawfish49.99$

They were 19.99$ last year

I'm fed up with this. This is why I took my large 180 gallon reef down I couldn't afford it at all. Gonna get hard to afford a nano now.

Especially being a college student!!!!

WOW

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

Stories like this make me glad I'm in California. I live like 15 minutes away from a main port where all the livestock comes in :P

Stories like this make me glad I'm in California. I live like 15 minutes away from a main port where all the livestock comes in :P

:mellow:

Most of this has to do with the shipping required to get livestock from thousands of miles away to your LFS. Gas prices will never be low again so prices, for exotic stuff like this especially, will continue to rise.

Why should prices be cheaper? Have shipping prices decreased recently? In general, reef livestock prices have declined relative to transportation costs. If anything, you should be whining 'bout gas prices.

nor_cal_nano
My LFS throws free coral in my bags all the time. I bought one Xenia frag for $19.99 and I went home with 6.

19.99 for a stalk?! They better throw in another 5.... People throw that stuff in the trash.

A little frag of xenia of TN is around 40-50$. We're talking like an inch frag.

If you are not exaggerating... my advice to you would be to set up a xenia tank asap. :bling: :bling: :bling:

If you are not exaggerating... my advice to you would be to set up a xenia tank asap. :bling: :bling: :bling:

Eh. There's really not a market for it. That's why they can jack it up, because the corals are relatively hard to get here and SW LFSs are pretty rare. <_<

Most of this has to do with the shipping required to get livestock from thousands of miles away to your LFS. Gas prices will never be low again so prices, for exotic stuff like this especially, will continue to rise.

Don't let that fool you though, yes it's true, but every middleman on the way is lining their pockets a bit also. Te pizzeria in my town raised the prices of their pizzas by 3 dollars in the past 2 years due to gas prices, and posted a note on their signs saying this. Hypothetically, let's say they make 5000 pizzas out of a shipment( I have no idea of its more or less) before they need to reorder. You're telling me that it costs 15000 dollars more in gas to get the ingredients?

Simone selling coral should be affected even less, since they frag off of mother colonies an very rarely bring in shipments of stuff such as Xenia, zoas, and most other softies.

totalimmortal363

What store do you go to?

All the places I've been to in the Denver area are about the same, save maybe the Petco's that are decent at times. I got a beautiful Maxi-Mini at Petco of all places for $30, a LFS wated $50 for a not-so-great one.

My LFS throws free coral in my bags all the time. I bought one Xenia frag for $19.99 and I went home with 6.

Lucky. My lfs had a stung, bleached Xenia once in their 10 dollar tank. When I saw one the exact same size growing underneath the frag rack on the glass in the 39 dollar tank(about half as damaged as the other one) they told me I would have to pay 39 because it was in the 39 tank. When I pointed out that it was damaged, not on a plug, and the same size as the 10 dollar one, they rebutted with " but it's in the 39 dollar tank.

Don't let that fool you though, yes it's true, but every middleman on the way is lining their pockets a bit also. Te pizzeria in my town raised the prices of their pizzas by 3 dollars in the past 2 years due to gas prices, and posted a note on their signs saying this. Hypothetically, let's say they make 5000 pizzas out of a shipment( I have no idea of its more or less) before they need to reorder. You're telling me that it costs 15000 dollars more in gas to get the ingredients?

Simone selling coral should be affected even less, since they frag off of mother colonies an very rarely bring in shipments of stuff such as Xenia, zoas, and most other softies.

If that number if 500 pizzas, then maybe it does cost $1500 more in gas. Depends on where the things come from. They are probably also factoring in the fact that gas prices are pretty associated with cost of living, so they could be paying the employees (probably not) or themselves (probably) more to compensate for having more personal expense.

This is why you need to join the local reefers club and then stalk the livestock forum. I've been doing pretty well for myself. I also became personal friends with the top manager of the LFS. He throws in freebies all the time now. I wanted 2, maybe 3 hermits and my bag had 5. :happy:

Yeah, that's why I'm happy to be shutting down some of my tanks. I just can't deal with these crazy prices. My LFS gets Grade 'A' ORA Picassos in for like $50, they sell them for $200. My other LFS gets bubble anemones in by the dozens, not sure for how much, but they price an 8" one at about $200, despite being bleached, starved or elsewhat. They sold me a $110 completely bleached, staved BTA for my first anemone and told me it would regain its color if I fed it some cyclops, which were too small for it to feel to open and digest and it just blew all over the tank. <_<

you spent $120 on basically a parasite coral that would infest your tank to the point where you would want to use explosives.

I bought 2 stalks for $3.

BTA prices vary. I got mine for $30 on sale. Most of the places have them for $45-55 for a small one, and i DO live in California.

Hmmmm, my purple BTA was $90. Greens/tans are usually $30. Rose/red are $100+. I had never seen purple before so it was worth it to me but I probably could have talked them down.

Blennylover14

I'm in southern Denver. Centenial.

I go to Todd's tropical fish where I spent 80$ for a GBTA with a anemone crab. The anemone is dying now so there's another waste of 60$ when my water params are perfect.

I've tried about all stores in Colorado.

Aquamart- waaaaay expensive

Todd's- expensive

South broadway- cheapest

There all about the same

And I just keep loosing money left and right

you spent $120 on basically a parasite coral that would infest your tank to the point where you would want to use explosives.

I bought 2 stalks for $3.

BTA prices vary. I got mine for $30 on sale. Most of the places have them for $45-55 for a small one, and i DO live in California.

How did he pay $120 if he only paid $20? :huh:

I'm in southern Denver. Centenial.

I go to Todd's tropical fish where I spent 80$ for a GBTA with a anemone crab. The anemone is dying now so there's another waste of 60$ when my water params are perfect.

I've tried about all stores in Colorado.

Aquamart- waaaaay expensive

Todd's- expensive

South broadway- cheapest

There all about the same

And I just keep loosing money left and right

Last time I was in Denver I stopped by Elite Roof, it was nice.

Archived