inTank Media Baskets

35 gallon system build advice and suggestions welcomed!

thegambler26

thegambler26

So after a year out of the hobby I've decided to get back into it. i just couldn't stay away! Ive had numerous tanks in the past and was never patient enough to really do things exactly how I want them. So this time I'm gonna take my time and do things right. I'm going with a 35 gall 18"x18"x24"tall tank. I've also already ordered a 1500 gph drill through overflow from glass holes, a danner mag drive 950 and two drill through return kits. Im thinking of using a 10 or 15 gal aquarium underneath as my fuge. I've got a skimmer from a previous tank but not sure if I'm gonna use it.

I started building my stand a couple of weeks ago and am almost finished. Its just missing some minor touch ups.

This was my first attempt at building furniture so it was a learning experience, but overall I'm happy with the outcome.

Within the next day or two I should be receiving my order from glass-holes.com I can't wait. Never drilled holes in glass before so it should be an adventure. Hope I don't crack anything!

I was thinking of drilling my returns through about a third of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have some advice or experience on this? in my other tanks It seems like flow was always lacking on the bottom of the tank and allowed excessive detritus to build up. Which in the long run caused some problems.

I'll keep things updated

It looks like you did a decent job on the stand. :)

I was thinking of drilling my returns through about a third of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have some advice or experience on this?
They should be higher. When power is cut, the tank will drain down to the level of the returns. You'd need a pretty large sump to be able to handle the back flow. Since there's not a lot of height for a sump, it will have to be relatively small.

The tank is pretty tall. Are you planning for a MH or LED pendant?

thegambler26

I think I'm gonna go wit an led. I've looked around it seems like they penetrate pretty deep. I also like that they don't produce as much heat. That's good thinking with the backflow. That never even crossed my mind.

thegambler26

Woohoo, after what seamed like a long 4 day wait my order from glass-holes arrived!

I could hardly wait and got right to work drilling the holes for my overflow and return outlets!

I was actually pretty nervous. I've never drilled holes in glass before. I wasn't exactly sure if the glass was tempered or not. I looked around on the internet and couldn't find anything definitive. So I just went for it! All turned out well except for the minor cut I got from a just drilled edge. I found if you grind out the hole with the bit just slightly after the glass falls out it cleans it up pretty nicely. good trick if your thinking about drilling some glass yourself.

Next up is finding a 15 gal aquarium and modifying it for my refugium, and plumbing the system.

I'm also planning on buying some dry reef saver rock from BRS. It looks great. Does anyone have experience with it?

I also need some inspiration or ideas on how to set up my rocks scape. Feel free to post some pics of yours or something you've seen that you like!

I sure wouldn't wanna deal with those dimensions, personally, but good luck!!! Everything you have going looks great so far.

This.

I've got a friend who has a ~60(?) Gallon tank that's like 24x18x30" tall or something. They recently supended a AI Sol over it and it looks really, REALLY good. I'd never want to mess with a tall tank though, I couldn't pull it off.

thegambler26

Yeah it's gonna be a challenge but thats why I'm doing it. I think the height will allow for some cool reef scape possibilities. I had a 65 gal that was the same height. To do any work on the bottom I had to use tongs or stick my arm in up to my shoulder. Flow on the bottom of that tank also caused me some problems. Does anyone have experience with bulk reef supplies Eco reef saver rock?

Hoping to get my fuge and plumbing supplies tonight, can't wait to get that going! More pics later.

kevinlogan42

I have the 15 column tank 13x13x20 I love the tank I would of loved to got my hands on yours those few extra inches would be fun to work with. Cant wait to see the build.

Kevin

post-71714-1334376738_thumb.jpg

thegambler26

alright finally managed to get some stuff done! bought a 15 gal tank, acrylic and some aquarium silicone. used some old lighting grid and got my fuge setup. Amazing how much money you can save by doing things yourself. For the whole fuge setup it cost me around 50 dollars in materials. The most expensive part was the 15 gal tank which i bought brand new for 35 bucks. I could've made things cheaper if i'd have tried to by a used tank but I didn't fell like dealing with it.

Turned out pretty good. I have a lot more room in the middle than i though i would. I've got a hang on skimmer I can add later but I'm not planning on running one unless I have problems.

Also got some of the plumbing done but still need more pieces to make it complete.

Hope to get the rest of what I need later today so I can finish my plumbing.

Whats everyone think so far? any advice?

thegambler26

Thank you seabass.

Woo hoo! dry rock from BRS ordered, hopefully by the end of the week it'll be here and the aquascaping can begin!

Archived