Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishtank Kings: A New Nat Geo TV Show

Leonard

The majority of the drama was between the acrylic (tubby) guy and his wife (the accountant).

Did anyone see the jukebox episode that aired during Easter?

Haha I just saw an episode last night....they used tap water in Vegas inside a hotel....and tap water ice cubes...and put fish in all within 8 hours on an overnight install haha. ####in noobs ;) (tanked show I mean)

At the risk of sounding like a noob: for a non-reef, non-LR tank, is treated tap water that bad?

RayWhisperer

No, not really. Provided you dechlorinate the water.

As for biological filtration, they rely on bacteria in a bottle. While it does work (to some extent) it's still better to let a tank cycle on it's own.

No, not really. Provided you dechlorinate the water.

As for biological filtration, they rely on bacteria in a bottle. While it does work (to some extent) it's still better to let a tank cycle on it's own.

That makes sense. I'm truley not trying to defend them. As I stated above, I see many problems with what they do (even ignoring that garish cheesy designs they come up with), but it feels like people here are crushing them for not holding to "reef tank" standards, which isn't totally necessary.

Tap water may not be that bad but. How many episodes have they done and used tap water and reports of the fish dying or the tanks being sold because the fish dying? Meh it is funny to watch though haha

RayWhisperer

No, I agree with you. Holding them to standards used in reef tanks isn't really fair. People have been setting up SW tanks for years using dechlorinated tap water. People have also been using bacteria in a bottle for years.

The die off is likely due to immediate stocking, not tap water.

How many episodes have they done and used tap water and reports of the fish dying or the tanks being sold because the fish dying?

Hadn't heard of this. I def think they overstock. Overstocking, plus selling to someone with casual interest may need to neglect and death pretty much. I'd bet they land maintenance contracts for most of the tanks.

Go to Animal Planets website and watch the season 1 reveals. They apparently do full reef tanks. The Fung Shway tank had live corals and a pretty large sump filter/fuge in the basement for it.

The fish only bed tank they did had 3 canister filters on the top of the tank.

Oh, you mean like "In what species of fish does the male get pregnant?"

I saw that one on Easter at my aunts house.

Lol, no those "in between commercial" questions are a joke. During the show they added new "pop-up" facts, and even had them voice over or add commentary, explaining the build, filtration, or acclimation. Still to no satisfaction, but its a start.

Not much of a "reality" tv person. Ill stick with Californication and Nurse Jackie.

Archived