SaltCritters.com

Johnny's 15 gallon build! =^D

asmedeas

Hi guys, my name is Johnny Im a 19 year old (soon to be 20) who needed a hobby a couple years ago and was not successful due to either a budget or us moving. I had two attempts before none which were successful. I made lots of noob mistakes and i admit to them from overloading a two week cycled aquarium with a two clowns and a coral beauty to using crushed coral and tap water on my second build. This time Im in it for reals and have bought stuff that i need. Everything has been ordered and its on its way... Hopefully im doing enough research and planning to take things slowly because i really want this journey to be an enjoyable one.

Without further ado here is my build...

Equipment

-------------------------

15 gallon Aqueon Tank.

lifegard aquatics little time or temp

viaaqua 100 watt aquarium heater

Aquaclear 110 which i plan to run with purigen and chemipure

2 Twentyk lights from LEDTRIC

Hydor koralia 250 gph nanohead

im building a custom stand with my dad for the aquarium ill keep you guys posted.

Testing

---------------------------

Seachem laboratories marine kit basic

Water Mixing

Marine depot aquarium refractometer

Maxijet 1200 pro powerhead

eheim jager trutemp 200 watt heater

coralife thermometer

mighty might RO + Di unit from air water and ice

TDS3 meter and case

Bucket

D-D H2OCEAN MAGNESIUM PRO PLUS will be the salt im going to use.

pictures soon once everything arrives im super excited my gf bought me most of this for my bday so im very thankful.

Is there anything that i missed that is crucial?

Im still deciding on substrate and liverock i dont know what to order. im stuck between the bahama oolite or the black fiji moon sand but i think im going to go with the dry live rock from either reef cleaners or brs tell me what you guys think.

Any advice for setting up would be great or in general thank you for your support.

timothymarsh

Everything sounds good so far, I think the 15 gallon provides a good balance of size yet affordability for most people. Make sure you take your time to set up a good aquascape, always keeping in mind how the corals are going to grow out in the future. Try to keep as much of the heaters/other items out of the tank so you don't get a cluttered look. I'm interested to see how the 20k lights look, I went with the tri-colors for a more natural look, but I'm sure you're gonna get some amazing colors with those lights. Good luck man.

Glad you're doing your research and asking questions first! Looks like you're off to a good start but after cycling when you start dosing you're going to want more test kits. Good luck!

Glad you're doing your research and asking questions first! Looks like you're off to a good start but after cycling when you start dosing you're going to want more test kits. Good luck!

So most of my stuff came in today I love marine depot. Just waiting on my ro/ di unit and lights should arrive tomorrow. And the ro unit next week.

I was thinking of getting dry live rock from brs or reef cleaners and getting some oolite Bahama sand.

gearhead364

Wooo another almost 20 year old :lol: welcome back and everything looks good your really going to like your LEDTRiC lights, Im running a trupop over my pico and I love the color, cant wait to see pics!

Wooo another almost 20 year old :lol: welcome back and everything looks good your really going to like your LEDTRiC lights, Im running a trupop over my pico and I love the color, cant wait to see pics!

Thank you for welcoming me back I've been hearing good things about those LEDs I ordered the twenty k... They were on sale lol I have a question how do you run your ac70? I have a 110 and need ideas lol I'm taking things slow so the tank might start cycling in about a week maybe two. also I'm debating wether to get live rock or cured rock?

106bxx4.jpg

So my stuff has been coming in all week got all my stuff from marine depot. I got my LEDTRIC twentyk's and my saltwater mixing kit.

next week should be getting my RO/DI unit from air water and ice and the TDS meter too.

things i want before i begin my aquarium install.

inTank 110 media basket

inTank fuge light

ordering my dry rock from brs or reefcleaners. And still looking for best deal on sand since it goes for 30 dollars per 10lb bag her in cali.

Super excited!!!!

thegambler26

Ahh new aquarium stuff!, so much fun! My advice take it slow and do things right. I've rushed into setups before and then never been able to get things right. Good luck with the most addictive and rewarding hobby around!

Ahh new aquarium stuff!, so much fun! My advice take it slow and do things right. I've rushed into setups before and then never been able to get things right. Good luck with the most addictive and rewarding hobby around!

Hahaha I'm soo excited lol I'm already saving up for a mp10 lol... In what context would you say don't rush things lol.

28g nano noob

Looks good I no I rushed my first picotope. It was a disaster lol but I think he means just dnt rush into stocking it etc let it cycle and all and dnt over stock but don't forget ur tang lol jk

Looks good I no I rushed my first picotope. It was a disaster lol but I think he means just dnt rush into stocking it etc let it cycle and all and dnt over stock but don't forget ur tang lol jk

Hahahah been there done that lol. Suffered that with my first tank. So far i have had no success in this hobby. third time is a charm lol... unfortunately all the LFS near my area suck big time and the good ones are way overpriced lol... Man cant wait to start cycling this bad boy. hahahah

28g nano noob

i no i still cant decide on a tank its killin me lol but yeah sucks my lfs just closed so now i gotta drive an hr or go to petco but yeah maby third time if u stick with it so pricey to jump in and out of it ive learned..lol

Builder Anthony

You spent all that money and all that time researching things.........try to buy some nice liverock\ youll be alot happier waiting then having ugly liverock its a very common mistake.

You spent all that money and all that time researching things.........try to buy some nice liverock\ youll be alot happier waiting then having ugly liverock its a very common mistake.

I was thinking of buying dry rock and seeding it lol. I hear they both have their advantages.

• 2 weeks later...

34nkv0l.jpg

So i got my inTank order in today. Awsome quality, and fit like it should should finish building my aquarium stand this coming week. More pics to come. Super excited for things to come. How should i organize my media basket i got inTanks filter floss their underwater light for chaeto, chemipure and purigen.

34nkv0l.jpg

So i got my inTank order in today. Awsome quality, and fit like it should should finish building my aquarium stand this coming week. More pics to come. Super excited for things to come. How should i organize my media basket i got inTanks filter floss their underwater light for chaeto, chemipure and purigen.

I've read chaeto at the very bottom but don't quote me on that.

Good luck with your tank!

Ok so tank update I'm getting my Bulk Reef Supply Reef Saver Rock next week Im' super duper excited!!! I can finally put my tank together. So with all this excitement i know ill be tempted to make careless mistakes and mess up. Do you have any tips in regards to: mixing water, aqua-scaping, or just in general?

• 1 month later...

Archived