ReefCleaners.org

Lighting 40 Gallon Breeder AI Sol

nyknicks4412

nyknicks4412

So I just picked up my next tank, 40 gallon breeder. Tank is 36x18x16. I am not sure I want to deal with a DIY kit unless none of the current LED fixtures available will work for a tank this size.

Would 1 AI Sol Blue work if the optics were swapped for 70 degree ones?

Or would an Ecotech radion be a better option due to the increase spread coverage?

I can't light with anything but LED due to school's restrictions on bulbs....and I do not like the unclean look of DIY.

Not sure about the radion but you might be able to get away with 1 sol unit if hung high enough

You could make a canopy to hide the DIYness. The aquastyle 36 kit will give the best. As far as non DIY products unfortunately I can't help you there. good luck either way!

nyknicks4412
You could make a canopy to hide the DIYness. The aquastyle 36 kit will give the best. As far as non DIY products unfortunately I can't help you there. good luck either way!

For DIY fixtures...what size heat sink would be good to use with a 36 led kit and what ratio of colors will give the most pop in the corals? Any guides on making such fixtures...

nyknicks4412
ledtric plug and play kit...................... :)

I looked at their website but it seems they only have par bulbs unfortunately

For DIY fixtures...what size heat sink would be good to use with a 36 led kit and what ratio of colors will give the most pop in the corals? Any guides on making such fixtures...

If you check out the aquastyles led club thread there are tons of builds on there. For the 40 breeder I'd probably get the longest heatsink, the only one offered with the 36 kit actually. I think there are a few with 40 breeder builds here that use that 7.1"X15.8" heatsink and 36 led kit.

nyknicks4412
If you check out the aquastyles led club thread there are tons of builds on there. For the 40 breeder I'd probably get the longest heatsink, the only one offered with the 36 kit actually. I think there are a few with 40 breeder builds here that use that 7.1"X15.8" heatsink and 36 led kit.

Definitely will check it out then! Have heard aquastyle doesn't use as good of led's as rapid...any opinion on this or?

Definitely will check it out then! Have heard aquastyle doesn't use as good of led's as rapid...any opinion on this or?

There are all sorts of LED snobs regarding quality of certain leds vs others. The Bridgelux are pretty decent, but not cree's. A 36 kit would let you grow anything in a 40b though.

Archived