inTank Media Baskets

Ok to add fish while fighting algae?

colbertbr

I'm having a GHA outbreak and a tiny bit of Cyano. I'm changing water 2-3 times a week,only feeding my cleaner shrimp every two days or so and getting Cheato this week for my AC110 refugium.

I'm ready to add fish in he next 1-2 weeks. I'm going to start with just a goby/shrimp pair. Is it ok to add fish while battling this outbreak?

C.I._Reefer
Hard to starve algae out and feed fish at the same time.

+1

if you are having a nutrient issue now, it will only get worse with additional fish...

I'd suggest one thing at a time. Identify the source of excess nutrients, and fix that problem. Then get your algae under control. Then wait a while to make sure it really is under control. Then try adding some more livestock. Patience :lol:

Only time I ever have had GHA problems was back when I was using tap water.

I'm using store bought distilled water. It's as clean as it gets.

Get a TDS meter and measure the water. The testing and reporting requirements for bottled water aren't very good. There are also often huge QA issues from batch to batch, I've seen distilled water many times that's nowhere near the quality of good RO/DI water and would be borderline acceptable in quality even for an established tank with an active nitrate removal mechanism.

Archived