Innovative Marine Aquariums

zoa trouble

jailhouse

I've had a zoa in my tank for two weeks not and can't figure out what is wrong with it. I have a 29 biocube with stock lighting. When I first got it I placed it mid way up but it was close to my Korolia 425 and I thought it might be getting to much current. It was almost popping when it moved. So I put it at the bottom of the tank in the sand and it has less current, but it still looks kinda sickly. I will attach a picture. I have other coral in the tank that seems to be thriving. (frogspawn, green kenya tree, mushrooms, and star polyps). I was advised to use phyto-feast every couple of days (just a couple of drops). I currently have what appears to be a pod outbreak but I was under the impression that was a good thing. Thanks for any feedback.

post-73240-1333907579_thumb.jpg

Those look like palys.. but, how olds your tank? Whats your parameters?

Thanks for the clarification. My tank is about 6 weeks old but the parameters have been steady since week two. I used water from my lfs with their live rock and sand.

My calcium is 440

Hardness is 219

Nitrate is 5 or less

Forgot what the other is caled (at the inlaws now) but it was 0.25

Like I said everything else is doing good. Maybe it just needs more time.

gimptastic matt

Did u give them a fw dip wen intruduced?

That would of gotrid of any parasites which could be bothering them

I have those same palys and mine have always been happy in indirect light. When I had them in my stock BC 14 I had them at the bottom but off to the side and they turned a very nice green. When I got LEDs I had to keep them in the shade or they seemed to look sickly and not open all the way.

Thanks for all the replies. No I didn't dip them. I get nervouse about putting them in any chemicals. They did come from a lfs with very different lighting. I'm hoping it's just an aclimation thing. They are bright neon green under the actinic lights and the moonlights.

I'm a bit confused by the picture. I see a nest of healthy green implosion palys and some other zoas/palys curled up in between them.

The green implosions are healthy, and be warned they are a voracious and very aggresive paly. They prefer moderate to higher than average water flow and can tolerate a wide range of lighting.

They grow insanely fast if fed and prefer larger food like brine shrimp, but will eat anything bug enough to get caught in their tentacles. If they aren't fed they grow and spread much slower and don't seem to be affected by nitrate like smaller zoas which throve in it. Mine devoured a colony of Xenia that grew too close. They don't appear to sting other corals, but prefer to smother them, which might be the case in the picture. I have to kill about a dozen a week in my tank.

Those are not zoanthids but common button polys, palythoas. Feed them small food like fish roe or cyclopeeze, they eat like pigs, even mysis. That pic looks like they have a bit of a light shock. Those are undestructible..so don't worry about killing them, you won't.

If you ever decide to get rid of them, don,t go boiling them and breathing the vapor....they may contain palytoxin.

gimptastic matt

U dont need to dip them in chemicals just ro water for 30 seconds

they are nice look palys btw hope u can turn them around :)

certain pods eat zoas

+1

Esspecially the bigger ones

Wow. Thank you all. I bought them from supposed great coral shop but the owner seemed pissed because I was asking a lot og questions. I was just trying to be an educated consumer. You all have made me feel better about the coral. I will feed it some mys. On a good note I found a guy through craigslist who has some amazing coral frags. I was a little suprised. Thank you all again

Archived