Pod Your Reef

Christian's "Why didn't I just get a hamster?" 29g.

cpeterson07

cpeterson07

The tank is alive and well.

I've gone ahead and added a CUC from reefcleaners.org after the water had stabilized at 0's for ~4-5 days. Also added a ball of chaeto and mangroves (may not do much, but my other hobby is bonsai so it will be awesome if I could combine the two) to the sump. I've also had an explosion of pods which is really neat.

I'll post pics one the tank is more "presentable" since I'm currently plucking away at some GHA ;)

jedimasterben
The tank is alive and well.

I've gone ahead and added a CUC from reefcleaners.org after the water had stabilized at 0's for ~4-5 days. Also added a ball of chaeto and mangroves (may not do much, but my other hobby is bonsai so it will be awesome if I could combine the two) to the sump. I've also had an explosion of pods which is really neat.

I'll post pics one the tank is more "presentable" since I'm currently plucking away at some GHA ;)

The snails from John will make quick work of the GHA, I would just let it be. :)

• 2 weeks later...
cpeterson07

Update:

Added my first fish to the tank 2 days ago! I got a little firefish from a LFS. I paid $18 for him (~200% more than an online store) but I dont mind paying that little bit extra to be able to watch and inspect him and the tank he was in before I purchased the lil' guy. I purchased him at the end of the day so that I could acclimate him during the night cycle of the tank, and I think he appreciated that very much.

So far I've been feeding him a mixture of frozen mysis and brine once a day, which he plows right through. In a little while I'm going to wean him on to pellets with the occasional meaty food.

firefish.png

The snails from John will make quick work of the GHA, I would just let it be. :)

My CUC is hard at work but they seem to not be able to get rid of the large/dense patches of algae that had time to grow during the cycle. So I've been trying to help them out by manually pluckling those parts.

So far so good. B)

jedimasterben
Update:

Added my first fish to the tank 2 days ago! I got a little firefish from a LFS. I paid $18 for him (~200% more than an online store) but I dont mind paying that little bit extra to be able to watch and inspect him and the tank he was in before I purchased the lil' guy. I purchased him at the end of the day so that I could acclimate him during the night cycle of the tank, and I think he appreciated that very much.

So far I've been feeding him a mixture of frozen mysis and brine once a day, which he plows right through. In a little while I'm going to wean him on to pellets with the occasional meaty food.

firefish.png

My CUC is hard at work but they seem to not be able to get rid of the large/dense patches of algae that had time to grow during the cycle. So I've been trying to help them out by manually pluckling those parts.

So far so good. B)

Looks good and healthy! :)

I would donate a cheap toothbrush to the cause, will help out to get the big patches off.

• 1 month later...
cpeterson07

Feels like it's been forever and a day since I've updated my page.

Everything is still going strong! No casualties of any sorts. I've yet to add anything besides my fire fish because I have a dreaded move that I want to get through before buying new additions.

Since I will be taking apart my tank, I figured it would be a good time to make any changes I feel necessary. With that being said, I feel like the tank could use some work in the "hiding equipment" category and visual appeal. So, I am going to attempt a Giga-inspired mangrove island and incorporate that into a rock wall that will also hide my overflow, return, and circulation pumps. This should be interesting.. Hopefully I can come back with great results :P

Archived