SaltCritters.com

Fluval edge + new live rock?

TF1

I need to replace a piece of live rock that has bubble algae and aptasia on it. Both appeared to just show up within the past week. Phosphates, nitrates etc are all zero. Basically I just want to ditch the rock and replace, but I don't want to start another cycle. Tank is a month and a half old with some torch, Rics and one small clown.

Thanks in advance

I'd just break off small pieces of the effected rock.

It's possible to replace the rock, but you should really cure (cycle) it in a separate container before you put it in your display tank.

So just break of the corner that has the aptasia and chisel out where the bubble algae is? My other option is purchasing a large rock that has a mixture of zoas all over it. I'm assuming that the rock with the zoas would still provide live rock filtration. I should also point out that I like the rock with the zoas so it's not as if I'm settling.....

So just break of the corner that has the aptasia and chisel out where the bubble algae is?
Yep, that should take care of it.

My other option is purchasing a large rock that has a mixture of zoas all over it. I'm assuming that the rock with the zoas would still provide live rock filtration.
While the corals will reduce the surface area of porous rock, it will still be an effective biological filter, so either option should be fine.

Archived