Coral Vue Hydros

Feeding corals

lifen

I have a 10G tank without fish (for the moment). I have 2 hermits, 1 emerald crab and 3 snails. I also have a sponge, two Green Star Polyps corals, one Torch coral, one xenia coral and one I-have-no-idea-but-it-looks-like-grass-star-polyps-coral.

Now I do not feed anything at the moment, nor do I dose anything.

One of my torch coral heads is on his (her?) way out and it got me thinking.. Maybe I should start feeding them. Do I? And what should I feed them if I have to?

Thanks in advance.

Green Star Polyps don't need feeding, and I wouldn't think the Xenia nor your grassy type coral would either - if you give a pic of that coral we might be able to help ID it for ya.

The Torch does need fed. According to one site micro-plankton and brine shrimp target fed to supplement what it photosynthesizes should do.

Almost got myself a Duncan the other day...would have to have fed it like the Torch.

Green Star Polyps don't need feeding, and I wouldn't think the Xenia nor your grassy type coral would either - if you give a pic of that coral we might be able to help ID it for ya.

The Torch does need fed. According to one site micro-plankton and brine shrimp target fed to supplement what it photosynthesizes should do.

Almost got myself a Duncan the other day...would have to have fed it like the Torch.

Thanks for the information, too bad the LFS couldn't tell me this. Should it be live food? Or frozen?

This is the mystery coral:

o5qfsm.jpg

Yea, mystery coral is GSP. They're different kinds out there. Mine are short tentacled and don't wiggle around like those.

Umm...some prefer frozen, others live...just depends on your preference and your budget and time. Torches don't need to eat every single day, though. It's a supplement to it, not the main dish..lol. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week will be fine. From what I read, supplementing feeding to some corals will make their colors brighter and more vibrant, too.

Thanks for the id guys. And for the information! I might go to the LFS tomorrow. :)

Could you tell me what this coral is then? I thought this was the GSP...

16l9yq9.jpg

That almost looks like a type of xenia, for it has the frilly tentacles (as I call it). I haven't seen a GSP with filaments on the tentacles. Whatever they are, I'd keep them anyway. If it starts getting out of hand, just frag them and stick them to the back of the aquarium...lol. Or sell them for 5 bucks a frag. Coral is coral, though I understand when you don't know what type it is.

This is the only deduction I can come up with, though I know xenia can be taller than that. Do they act like your GSP, or do they pulse/wave around? Or, perhaps it's a cool, different GSP. Remember, I did say there's different variants.

Both are gsp, nothing you have needs to be fed. Corals will get by just fine on light alone. supplemental target feeding with a type of frozen food will help the coral grow faster and multiply quicker but, it is not a necessity.

First one is a green star polyps as flagged above. Fast grower in some tanks, so only put it on something you want it to totally cover.

Second shot looks like a pipe organ coral. I'm less familar with those, but they are hardy and don't grow as fast as GSP.

Everything in your tank (coral wise) can do fine on just regular water changes. One or two small fish would help the ecology though - at least generate some nutrients.

Archived