Pod Your Reef

Which Aquastyle to Buy?

tennis20

I want to get an aquastyle 12x3watt LED DIY Kit. Currently I have(on my 6 gallon jbj cube) a Power Compact 50/50 18 watt light. I was going to take the entire hood off of the tank. BTW i want it to kind of look like flexin5's 10 gallon. The question is which led colors should i get.

1-6 white 6 blue

OR

2-5 white 5 blue 2 UV

I want it because I can get a clam and make the ANNOYING fan noise to stop,

I want the corals to glow. i don't know what the right word is for what they do under actinic t5 or blue LED

I want to get an aquastyle 12x3watt LED DIY Kit. Currently I have(on my 6 gallon jbj cube) a Power Compact 50/50 18 watt light. I was going to take the entire hood off of the tank. BTW i want it to kind of look like flexin5's 10 gallon. The question is which led colors should i get.

1-6 white 6 blue

OR

2-5 white 5 blue 2 UV

I want it because I can get a clam, make the ANNOYING fan noise to stop, and i think i can get a clam

I also want enough WPG to keep my corals alive(obviously)

you should get the 14led dimmable kit

6w 6 blue 2uv

since it's dimmable you can control the color spectrum a little better to get a bluer actinic color or a solid mix

i would skip the uv and tvs.

+1

from everything I've read they just end up burning up and don't have much output anyway.

godfathernikki
you should get the 14led dimmable kit

6w 6 blue 2uv

since it's dimmable you can control the color spectrum a little better to get a bluer actinic color or a solid mix

You'll be fine with this. I have a 24led kit over my 12gal. It's just slightly brighter than my 70w MH was

jedimasterben
none chinease led's are ####ty

This guy sounds legit. :wacko:

With Bridgelux chips, 1:1 4500K to royal blue will get you a 12K look.

I would do one of the AQ kits, but get:

4x 4500k white

6x royal blue

1x red

1x cyan

2x true violet (NOT UV)

This would give you more than enough PAR to keep SPS, and give you an ~12K look. The cyan and red will combine with the royal blue to make a white light, that's why I did a 1:2 4500k to royal blue. The true violets will make some colors pop and give an incredible amount of PAR. Run the whites, a single royal, and the red and cyan on the first driver, then the five remaining royals and your true violets on the second driver.

So you're saying they will drain your bank account?

I thought red/cyan is overpowering and should be run lower than other colors?

jedimasterben
So you're saying they will drain your bank account?

I thought red/cyan is overpowering and should be run lower than other colors?

Oh, apparently didn't read your post right. Pretty sure I'm still half asleep. :)

Red/cyan will be, but run with the whites dimmed down it would be fine. Running them without optics would make it even better.

Oh, apparently didn't read your post right. Pretty sure I'm still half asleep. :)

Red/cyan will be, but run with the whites dimmed down it would be fine. Running them without optics would make it even better.

Hahaha no worries. Good call and dimming with white.

Also, to the OP you will be much happier with an aquastyle kit than a par 30. I tried to supplement my tank with a Par 30 and they were to weak.

Archived