inTank Media Baskets

Never Seen this before...

nickjqz

So I was at a not so local fish store in Modesto and I saw these fish in a sump and the lady working said that she didn't know what they were but that they were a hitchhiker on some live rock about four years ago. I asked her if I could buy them and she said that she didn't want to sell them just in case they were illegal to own or sell or trade (like if they were endangered or something). She said if I could ID them that I could buy them. :)

They are in a full saltwater tank. :)

So here are the pics that I took with my iphone

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

altolamprologus

If it weren't for the Caulerpa taxifolia I'd say those were freshwater fish! They look stikingly similar to this one freshwater fish whose name I can't remember. It starts with a g...

altolamprologus

GOODEID! That's what they look like. But goodeids are strictly freshwater fish (at least as far as I know)

altolamprologus

They also look like they could be wild type platties. But plattie are full fresh too. IDK maybe they're just aliens

Has to be a Poecilid... Just has the freshwater look IMO. Maybe it's in some other genus that can survive saltwater like Poecilid can? :huh:

That would be awesome if they were livebearing... Would trade my clowns in in an instant.

altolamprologus

OK so assuming they are a livebearer, look att he anal fins. Is it just me or does it appear that some have the female-looking anal fin while others have a gonopodium?

Look like cool fish... I was thinking killifish at first as well, just not sure which one.

I could think of a few really cool setups that they would look good in...

Archived