Coral Vue Hydros

Corals for the wife...

malawian

So here is my problem. my BC29 has enough LEDs on it to cook an egg from orbit, SPS love it, but the LPS and softies...not so much...

but OF COURSE. my wife likes "the flowies".

so im trying to think of some "flowies" that are more stringent like SPS. like the hyper-clean water, like lots of light, preferably plenty of flow too but I can find a few spots in my tank that are slow enough (i think).

ideas?

Torch/Frogspawn/Hammer etc all should be ok under LED's and moderate flow is ok for them so they should work for you. Just be aware of what lighting they came from and its intensity. You may need to shade em and slowly aclimate em to the LED's if they came from a lower intensity light.

Just saw that you're moving your current euphyllias over to a different tank. Maybe you could try a RBTA? Just get it before you stock heavily with SPS so that it can claim it's territory first.

C.I._Reefer

In all honesty, when proper acclimated i have yet to find a coral that cant withstand large LED arrays. WHEN PROPERLY ACCLIMATED. I mean unless you have 50+ 3w leds over the tank, i think you could acclimate most corals to that tank. Except maybe xenia, but that is only cuz xenia is half retarded.

Why do chicks love the "flowy" corals. My GF says the exact same thing. So I bought a dark purple torch with neon green tips to keep her happy. Coraltheory.com has some real real nice ones for a great price.

In terms of light my torch did bleach a little from the leds and the acans were a little pissed but I did start real low light and slowly uppped the % over a cpl months.

In all honesty, when proper acclimated i have yet to find a coral that cant withstand large LED arrays. WHEN PROPERLY ACCLIMATED. I mean unless you have 50+ 3w leds over the tank, i think you could acclimate most corals to that tank. Except maybe xenia, but that is only cuz xenia is half retarded.

I would tend to agree with this. We have all seen the "big boy" tanks with super lighting and they have all kinds of softies. Having said that you might try an elegance coral, very beautiful. Chicks luv em, but macho dudes think they are cool as well. :)

IMG_0411-3.jpg

I laughed sooo hard at this!! hahahaha

27 Cree 3w. thankfully theyre at 750mA instead of 1000. I didnt want to use optics so I used more to have more spread...that really wasnt necessary lol...

a purple torch with green tips sounds sexy enough to keep around...

I have a big 'ol torch who seems ok, but hes too big to place easily and is not a big fan of getting the brunt of the mp10. My frogspawns used to be much prettier under flourescents, they just dont want to open up under the LEDs. Theyre not dying, just not thriving by any stretch.

Ive thought of RBTAs but theres already a LOT of sps in the tank...Ive always wanted a sebea for my clowns, but I know that wouldnt work (just too big) and I dont know of a way to keep an RBTA out of the SPS and the mp10.

there is a link to this tank in my sig (and it has actually been updated!) if you want to see what I'm working with.

totalimmortal363

A clam maybe.

Sort of flowy, likes high light, great color, can live with SPS just fine, and they move and react to their surroundings.

Not a coral I know...

i mean honestly, if you want her to gain any interest at all, don't shop for her; shop with her. know what you can and can't take care of, but let her choose what she likes. this goes for almost every single thing you buy for a lady, btw.

think i didnt try that?

she would rather I drop her off at the dentist for a root canal on the way to the LFS...

also, she keeps pointing at things like xenia...which I kill with great prejudice (that which grows on top of my SPS will die...).

I might cut down to a couple of heads of frogspawn and add something small (like that purple torch =D)

so make her a 20L xenia tank. cheap, easy and you prob wont even need saltwater after a month or two.

edit: spelling

i guess since its a wife its cool, no corals for gfs though nor fish. made a profit on her ex tank though so i guess im ok with it

I'd just be worried that if the relationship falls through, you're stuck with a crappy tank.

if that happened a tank is the least of my worries...

SouthFlorida_Tron

My wife loves the frogspawn...

Does great in my SPS flow and water param environment, and doesn't mind the light.... (ai sol blue peaked at 100%)

I'd just be worried that if the relationship falls through, you're stuck with a crappy tank.

nah i was taking al of it back, it was just sad breaking it down...

so make her a 20L xenia tank. cheap, easy and you prob wont even need saltwater after a month or two.

edit: spelling

or even a 5.5g tank for just softies. call it her tank, so she feels special.

or find an isolated rock in the corner and put the xenia on it.

or even a 5.5g tank for just softies. call it her tank, so she feels special.

or find an isolated rock in the corner and put the xenia on it.

i will probably do something like this eventually. when i have the money to ill start a little tank for her with a clown, probably some hammer or FS and some blue xenia. and a cleaner shrimp...she loves the cleaner...

Archived