Pod Your Reef

Macro ID requested Post#6

metrokat

My powerhead is hosting 2-3 kinds of red macro. One of which is red titan.

Would appreciate an ID on the other 2.

The spotted macro looks very much like red titan but has a distinct spotted appearance and also a whitish 'rim'

IMG_20120402_184121.jpg

Another picture:

IMG_20120402_183630.jpg

The second macro in need of an ID is the fuzzy one growing in the same clump.

Thanks

Hi Kat. I believe one of them is a species of Gracilaria. I have the same thing that was a hitchhiker on some Gracilaria Hayi that is growing very nicely.

I'm not sure what other algae you're referring to on the power head.

I'll look forward to someone answering this as I've got something similar to one type (the stringy but not rubbery one) only the color is more like a burgundy or deep purple-red. What is the red-grape looking one in the back of the first photo? I have a clump of that growing in my tank, too. Have no idea where it came from.

Could it be tubular thicket algae? Described as "segments [that] profusely branch...forming dense hemispherical domes attached by a single holdfast. Segments are tubular, smooth, and relatively hard (heavily calcified) with flexible joints. Branch tips appear crosscut and have a central hole." Color is listed as reddish to orangish and off-white. [i love that SW identification relies on color terms like orangish!]

Msscha, it does look like the St kitts.

And the red grape looking thing in my picture is red grape, I have a really good sized portion of it that was sent to me by a forum member.

It also came as a HH on one of my rocks but never really grew.

Looking for Macro ID

Growing on my back grass wall in little tufts, texture is wiry

IMG_20120410_143715.jpg

Macro that resembles Blue Ochtodes in texture and also sticks to any surface fairly easily

IMG_20120410_143653.jpg

drunkenmonk21

Is that first pic Byropsis? Hard to tell

Not sure what that second one is, I think I may have some of it in my tank too.

Also that spotted algae may be your red dictoya with coraline growing on it.

Is bryopsis wiry in texture?

The pics of bryopsis I've seen look a lot like feather caulerpa, and in big clumps. Each of the little green pieces in the picture was one little tuft several inches from the next on the glass. There is no root just one single very strong holdfast.

I'll try to get a picture when I get back home, am out of town at the moment.

So if it is bryopsis, how come it is no where else in my tank, not on the rocks or substrate but are hanging in small tufts off the back glass wall? I mean this thing is invasive and spreads like wildfire, so this confuses me.

drunkenmonk21

There are many species of byropsis. also could be a species of cheato aswell hard to tell. Come to think of it back when I started my 55g I had something that looked pretty simular growing on the back glass. It went away with time

Macro that resembles Blue Ochtodes in texture and also sticks to any surface fairly easily

IMG_20120410_143653.jpg

I've seen this guy diving before. Pretty prolific down here in the gulf. Be careful, it's pretty invasive, but IDK what it is. probbaly an ochtodes sp., considered a turf algae that will invade the rocks you put it on. I've seen it in very large clumps

Archived