Innovative Marine Aquariums

Phishin's 14G biocube (first tank)

G0nePhishin

G0nePhishin
Are all the other params ok?

Did anything die recently?

pH is 8.3, I just put in a new bag of chemi-pure elite.

Just tested Nitite and Ammonia both 0 PPM

Now the night LEDs are on and so is the fuge light so hopefully the chaeto will suck up some nitrate. I just trimmed the ball it was pretty thick.

I just got StevieT's media basket, How often should I change the filter floss?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing you can do to control your water perimeters is to do frequent water changes. I perform a 2 gallon water change every week. It takes me 10-20 minutes to scrap the glass, change the filter floss, wash out my basket and change the water.

So to answer your question I change my filter floss out once a week. I however cut two pieces and layer it in the basket.

I noticed you are using Chem-Pure hopefully it's Chem-Pure Elite. I change mine out once a month.

In addition I run a UV sterilizer not necessarily for clarity of water but more for killing anything harmful in the water stream that could effect my fish. I look at it as a preventative measure than anything.

Good luck.

G0nePhishin

Hey RDtrack,

I usually do a 2-2.5 water change every week, but I think I have been overfeeding so I cut back. I also had a lot of detritus that I cleaned out of the back chambers. O and I am using elite, that stuff rocks! makes the h2O crystal clear.

I got my nitrates down to 0 I think (can't tell between 0 and 5 ppm unless under sunlight with API kit) did a big 4 gal change today. My corals still look like crap though! I am very concerned for them.

my Acan Lord----

oGMBQ.jpg

My Neon trumpet-----

jRn2T.jpg

I am very worried :scarry:

Any advice is extremely appreciated, thanks so much everyone for following my first tank and helping me out!

Just curious are you using RO for your water changes or just tap? Looks like you still have quite a bit of algae. If your not using RO water I would suggested you do so.

Another thing put your acans in a low flow area. When I had them they liked it out of the flow. The trumpet on the other had I would move to the top of the tank, mine loves light.

Do you still have your hermit crabs? If not I'd try to find a turbo snail or two will do wonders on the algae. Hermits are evil to snails unless they are extremely small.

Keep at it and try to get info from as many places as possible. That's what I've done.

People on here would think I'm nut knowing how many fish I have in my 14 gallon and the type of fish but frequent water changes and attention to detail has allowed me to maintain them extremely well.

You could do two banggai cardinal fish however I personally prefer other types of fish. If you want cardinal fish I would look at the red spot cardinal fish, you could house them with trimma gobies.

Good luck; don't look at it to much it makes you go insane.

Oh and I almost forgot you can get Chemi-Pure Elite pretty cheap on Foster and Smiths just look for the sales.

G0nePhishin

I am using RO/DI water and Distilled. The green algae isn't GHA it is lime green coraline, the colors are a little drab on my iPhone camera but I know it is not nuisance algae, I have 2 big turbos and 4 hermits plus 1 cerith and 5 nassarius.

I am thinking for fish I am definitely getting a randall's goby & candystripe pistol shrimp.

1 bangaii cardinal

then I am still deciding on my third. I want a mandarin for sure but in like 6 months or so maybe a purple firefish to hold me over till I get my mandarin. got any suggestions for a 3rd fish?

hirschy75
I am using RO/DI water and Distilled. The green algae isn't GHA it is lime green coraline, the colors are a little drab on my iPhone camera but I know it is not nuisance algae, I have 2 big turbos and 4 hermits plus 1 cerith and 5 nassarius.

I am thinking for fish I am definitely getting a randall's goby & candystripe pistol shrimp.

1 bangaii cardinal

then I am still deciding on my third. I want a mandarin for sure but in like 6 months or so maybe a purple firefish to hold me over till I get my mandarin. got any suggestions for a 3rd fish?

Read through your other thread on the 3rd fish for ideas...

G0nePhishin

Hirschy what do you think of the pictures? are my corals going to be ok or is it too late?

Archived