ReefCleaners.org

Algae ID please

rmyadsk

Hi all,

Looking for an ID for a pest which is all over my larger tank. Brown stringy algae-like stuff which likes to bind together with grains of loose sand (I have a triggerfish which kicks up quite a bit of it). The picture shows it against a filter overflow but it also likes to bunch up around nozzles and other places my scrubber doesn't easily reach.

post-55340-1333312197_thumb.jpg

Of course my live rock also gets it, to terrible effect - almost like it's carpeted on. I can usually brush/'turkey-baste' it away but it seems intent on coming back in no time.

Is this cyano or a variety?

trippinsting

dont know what that is.. but im getting that problem too... it usually clumps up on my sandbed.. and sometimes my marco algae in my DT. if you figure out what it is.. keep me posted.

trippinsting

yea i was looking around other reef sites... all concluded to diatoms... i even googled.."brown stringy algae... came up with diatoms... most people swear on using H2O2 to dose... but ill just with less light and more water changes.. just waiting on my ro-di unit to come..

hey rmyadsk when the unit comes in.. ill update you and see if that helps.. its getting all over my lps.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more photos, this one from my BioCube 14 which has suffered the same fate. The first is taken after the brown stuff is swirled up in the water - looks like whitish stringy snowflake tendrils floating in the water. The second is what has accumulated in the first chamber where the heater is.

Can anyone confirm these are indeed diatoms?

Thanks!

post-55340-1334511330_thumb.jpg

post-55340-1334511366_thumb.jpg

Archived