inTank Media Baskets

Washing your hands

rudeanduncouth

rudeanduncouth

I am curious if anybody really worries about introducing contaminants, mainly soap, into there system by washing your hands before you stick them in your tank? Of course the alternative, not washing your hands, is potentially much more disastrous. I just know you can't really wash off all of the soap. Or is there a particular soap that you use that is less harmful?

I always try to rinse off my hands after I am done to try to minimize my hands drying out. I hate using lotion though since it leaves an oily residue that can easily get back into your tank since they don't wash off easily. I suppose a water-based lotion would work better though. Any god suggestions?

Using carbon in the tank help to minimize any contaminants left by soap residues. I myself just rinse my hands before entering my tank, i don't use soap. I also don't use any lotions or topical creams so i have no concerns there in my case. Obv. minimizing sticking your hands arms in the tank helps. I always wash my hands/arms with soap after being in my tank.

lawnmowerblenny

i always wash my hands b4 and after never had an issue, I just use soft soap antibacterial it even has marine fish on the bottle...

Salty_Snack

I always wash with non-antibacterial soap before and after each use. Although I've never seen anyone at the LSF wash their hands ever.

I use a hot paper towel to wipe off my hands and forearms before they go in the tank. Afterwards I wash with antibacterial soap. Don't want to accidentally stick weirdo stuff in my eye by rubbing it randomly.

nor_cal_nano
i always wash my hands b4 and after never had an issue, I just use soft soap antibacterial it even has marine fish on the bottle...

LMAO. Then it MUST be reef safe.

Before: I just rinse my hands with water and scrub them down really well with a paper towel.

After: Nothing... I really should wash them but I am too lazy

I think rinsing your hands with warm water and drying with a dry cotton towel is ideal. Paper towels can give off small particles though it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

lakshwadeep

I wash my hands (trying to avoid soap unless my hands have dirt) to avoid introducing unwanted chemicals. I sinse after to get the salt off. The salt is really good at corroding metals.

I wash my hand before and after with soap I just stay like 50 seconds in the water lol mine is a 6 gallons so you can imagine I have been washing my hands before and after for 7 months now and no problems for now

Grumblecakes

i just rinse mine, im also mindful of what i might have on my hands. if i have any type of oil or grease on them, i dont put my hands in the tank that day. if i absolutely must in that situation i was them with dawn, it breaks down the grease pretty quick then i rinse the s*** out of them.

I never wash my hands before, but always after sticking my hands in the tank.

I don't advise this but I've never had a problem even though I wear lotions & perfumes.

Oh.. One exception: if I've recently treated my pups with a topical anti-flea treatment I will wash my hands thoroughly that day everytime they're going in the tank( though I like to keep my hands out as much as possible).

rudeanduncouth

Interesting responses. I figured most people would wash there hands prior. Makes me question your bathroom hygiene :lol: When I get back and set my tank up I will have to wash my hands at least once very thoroughly when I get home since I work on a ship and it is an industrial environment and I am exposed to all sorts of wonderful things <_<

Interesting responses. I figured most people would wash there hands prior. Makes me question your bathroom hygiene :lol: When I get back and set my tank up I will have to wash my hands at least once very thoroughly when I get home since I work on a ship and it is an industrial environment and I am exposed to all sorts of wonderful things <_<

Bathroom hygiene,really? You're a pig. Sometimes LOL's don't cut it.

This thread isn't about not washing your hands after visiting the restroom, dumbass.

Bathroom hygiene,really? You're a pig. Sometimes LOL's don't cut it.

This thread isn't about not washing your hands after visiting the restroom, dumbass.

Wow, that seems a little harsh. He was the OP, afterall. :o

Wow, that seems a little harsh. He was the OP, afterall. :o

Who cares if he was the OP? He's the poster directly after my post,which I felt he was directing towards me( in a dickface fashion). We are discussing hand washing rituals regarding tank maintenance, not whether some pig doesn't wash their hands after using the toilet.

Even if it wasn't directed toward my post, I think it was just gross.

I wash my hands and forearms before and after working on my tank. I use liquid soap and pay extra attention to rinse soap from my fingernails before sticking them in my tanks (even if I'm wearing gloves).

However, I'm more concerned about washing my hands afterward. While I do put my hands in the tanks (and recommend using gloves), I consider aquariums bacteria infested pools of water (and who knows what chemicals/toxins corals might be giving off).

Your skin is full of micro cracks and we tend to rub our eyes without thinking about it. I'm concerned about infection (allergy and toxin) risks. Plus, we touch most of our food and drinking bottles. If I'm working on my tanks, I'll wash my hands before picking up a bottle of Coke, a snack, my phone...

wash before because im worried about contaminating tank...but i don't wash after because im not so worried about myself,just the tank.

I don't wash if I spot something that needs fixing quickly.

But I do wash and scrub thouroughly with warm water before doing anything major.

And since I have zoas I am extremely meticulous with washing hands properly with soap and warm water afterwards.

Archived