Coral Vue Hydros

New 29 gallon- need advice

gobyguy1

Hey all. I'm tearing down my 29 gallon freshwater, and will be converting it into a reef tank! I'm really excited, as this will be much bigger the my 8 biocube, and I'll have much more options.

So, my plans are:

2 PAR 30 led lamps from BoostLED. I'm not sure if these will be enough, haven't measured the tank yet.

Aquaclear 110 filter, modified to act as refugium.

For my skimmer, I'm going with AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115, I've heard good things about it.

I'm going with a 3" sand bed for my shrimp and goby.

Livestock:

1 High fin red banded goby, currently in my 8 cube, with his shrimp partner.

1 skunk cleaner shrimp.

???

I cant decide what other fish I'm going to get. Any recommendations? Clownfish are out, because I'm looking for really docile fish, that won't disrupt the zen of the reef. :lol:

Corals:

I'm going for a softy and LPS only tank, with lots of zoas, xenias, brains, duncans etc...

Soo, this is my plan as of right now. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

This won't be taking place until September, when I have the money required to fuel this hobby(read: obsession)

Thanks in advance!

Hey all. I'm tearing down my 29 gallon freshwater, and will be converting it into a reef tank!
'bout time.

2 PAR 30 led lamps from BoostLED. I'm not sure if these will be enough, haven't measured the tank yet.
A standard 29 gallon tank is 30" L x 12" W x 18" H, so maybe a couple PAR38s?

Clownfish are out, because I'm looking for really docile fish, that won't disrupt the zen of the reef.
IDK, tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish are pretty Zen.

At work, I recently setup a 29gal and it has been a wonderful addition. Here's my setup...

Ordered 40lb sand and 40 lb dry rock from Marcorocks

Hydor Koriola 750 gph

Aquaclear 50 modified fuge w/cheato

Zoomed T5HO w/10k+actinic

2 percula clowns

scissor tail goby

1 blue damsel

cuc - assorted hermits and snails

Seeded tank with live rock and live sand from home. Tanks been running about 5 months now I'm through the diatom blum and have slowly been adding softies (Xenia, Cabage leather, thin finger and thick leathers, zoas).

Good luck with your setup!

At work, I recently setup a 29gal and it has been a wonderful addition. Here's my setup...

Ordered 40lb sand and 40 lb dry rock from Marcorocks

Hydor Koriola 750 gph

Aquaclear 50 modified fuge w/cheato

Zoomed T5HO w/10k+actinic

2 percula clowns

scissor tail goby

1 blue damsel

cuc - assorted hermits and snails

Seeded tank with live rock and live sand from home. Tanks been running about 5 months now I'm through the diatom blum and have slowly been adding softies (Xenia, Cabage leather, thin finger and thick leathers, zoas).

Good luck with your setup!

Do you have any issues with your blue damsel? I've heard they're a little rough. My goby is VERY timid and will hide if anything is too rowdy.

Thanks

I added the blue damsel last. For the most part he hangs and darts in and out of the rocks. He may make a quick forward motion is another fish approaches, but I have not seen any other aggressive behavior.

xDetroitMetalx

Pygmy Angels are very nice fish and helpful as they eat detritus. I'm a fan of Six Line Wrasse as they will eat worms and are very pretty fish. Twin Spot Blenny are awesome little guys that eat algae constantly. I know the guide here is very helpful on fish that are compatible at different size tanks. Best thing to think about before purchasing fish in your nano tank is how will this fish be beneficial in my tank (have a job in the tank), is it good looking and friendly to the current residents?

Archived