Cultivated Reef

Dinos or Cyano or Brown Algae?

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

I'm pretty sure this is dinos or brown algae, but two points of interest. No bubbles on it and it doesn't change at all at night.

First, the vital stats:

10 gallon tank, about three months old.

One juvenile sixline, one very small yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp and two large cleaner shrimp.

CUC includes 5 florida ceriths, 2 large nerites and 3 small ones, four nassarius, one trochus snail, 4 dwarf blue leg hermits, one scarlet reef hermit, one mexican red leg hermit and one turbo snail.

The turbo snail is the only one that seems to make a dent in this stuff.

I'm feeding as little as possible. Everything is consumed in about 3-5 minutes.

Actinics come on at 7am. Daylights on at 8 am. Daylights off at 5:30pm. Actinics off at 6:30pm. LED Moonlights on at night.

Parameters: Alk 7. Calc 460. Mag 1410. Phos 0. Amo 0. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 0. Temp 78.6

I'm running chemipure elite, purigen, a fist size ball of chaeto and for the past two weeks I've been running a phosphate adsorbtion media and changing it every couple days. I change the filter floss every two days.

The stuff doesn't really seem to have much of a visible structure. Closest thing would be GHA, but it's not very green. It's more of a brownish green and doesn't really look like hair per se.

**Video of the stuff in my tank**

Any thoughts? The turbo snail loves the stuff, but can't quite keep up with it.

Islandoftiki

Been talking to some local reefers and we're thinking maybe just "Brown Algae" that often comes with a new tank.

yup looks like brown algae .. thought.. get more turbo snails.. its likely no nitrates register because of the excess algae. i would remove as much as possible every time you do a water change to aid it getting it under control.

Islandoftiki

Yeah, I suspect any nitrates are getting locked up in this stuff before it ever hits the filter media or chaeto. This would probably be great stuff for an algae scrubber.

Islandoftiki

We've got it narrowed down to a couple possible subspecies of brown algae. Since the turbo snails seem to love the stuff, I'm going to add one more turbo snail for a little while until it gets cleared up. Then I'll drop back to just one turbo.

It's just a new tank algae bloom.

Archived