Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Verification on IDs and Some Unknowns

Solaris

Hello,

Well I've been reading lots and lots on this forum and others. I have had a couple of freshwater tanks and a stocked pond for some years now and decided to venture into a reef aquarium. I have just setup a RSM 130D with live rock. I have used the ID sticky and other sites to identify what I have found so far but need some verification and some help on the things I couldn't ID. Thanks in advance for all the help. This forum is great for beginners entering into this hobby. There are total of 10 pictures. I will probably have to do multiple posts.

Summary of pictures:

1- I think these are small aiptasia?

2- Chiton? It's a dull green in colour and doesn't move that much

3- Chiton? It's dark brown almost like a potato bug saw him in the sand then disappeared later

4- Is this pink coral coming back?

5- Pretty sure this is a feather duster

6- Is this a type of feather duster?

7- Pretty sure this is a hair worm. I have a couple of these. Can the tentacle be red sometimes? I have

one that I saw in the tank which had a red tentacle. Haven't seen him come out again though.

8- No idea on this one, some sort of polyp/zoanthid? I have two they reddish-pink in colour and close up into a ball. Approx size if 1/4"

9- Another polyp brown in colour. Took picture yesterday but today I can't find it.

10- Is this a spionid worm? I have at least 5/6 on the same rock.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Picture 1:

post-73496-1332883206_thumb.jpg

Picture 2:

post-73496-1332883219_thumb.jpg

Picture 3:

post-73496-1332883295_thumb.jpg

Picture 4:

post-73496-1332883314_thumb.jpg

Picture 5:

post-73496-1332883352_thumb.jpg

Picture 6:

post-73496-1332883364_thumb.jpg

Picture 7:

post-73496-1332883422_thumb.jpg

Picture 8:

post-73496-1332883434_thumb.jpg

Picture 9:

post-73496-1332883481_thumb.jpg

Picture 10:

post-73496-1332883493_thumb.jpg

1-Too small to tell , might be a feather duster

2-Can't be sure kind of looks like a stomatella snail

3-Again difficult to tell from the picture

4-Don't know

5-Duster

6-Duster

7-Spaghetti worm

8-Can't be sure, maybe ball anemone

9-collonista snail

10-Another spaghetti worm I believe

1. Probably hydriods or a feather duster

2/3. Most likely a large amphipod or isopod

4. Sponge would be my first guess

5/6. Definitely feather dusters

7. Spaghetti worm

8/9. Majano anemone is my first guess.

10. Feather duster, hydroid, not entirely sure.

Edit, was writing at the same time as Hravanii. We're about on the same page.

1. Fuzz

2. Doubt it's a chiton, but they're easy to ID out in the open.

3. Brown grain of sand

4. Foraminiferan

5. Feather duster

6. Feather duster

7. Spionid worm

8. Feather duster

9. Thing in a hole

10. Vermetid snail

Not the worst pics, but when things are first coming out and growing in it's hard to ID them. Just because something's there and then gone later doesn't mean it needs an ID necessarily in a new tank... there is usually tons of oddly shaped debris. If you notice specific behaviors, shapes, or structures, then it may be worth asking.

Oh and those are, of course, guesses. Especially the vermetid, for some reason it reminded me of one even though I can't tell if it made its own shell (not gluing together sand) or remember how many tentacles are usually showing, or see any tell-tale mucus. It could be another spionid, definitely.

altolamprologus
1. Fuzz yes

2. Doubt it's a chiton, but they're easy to ID out in the open. agree

3. Brown grain of sand agree

4. Foraminiferan 100% correct

5. Feather duster correct

6. Feather duster correct

7. Spionid worm correct

8. Feather duster incorrect. It's a Pseudocorynactis sp. ball anemone

9. Thing in a hole yep. Probbaly a shell that got stuck when the rock was forming

10. Vermetid snail looks more like another spionid

Not the worst pics, but when things are first coming out and growing in it's hard to ID them. Just because something's there and then gone later doesn't mean it needs an ID necessarily in a new tank... there is usually tons of oddly shaped debris. If you notice specific behaviors, shapes, or structures, then it may be worth asking.

Oh and those are, of course, guesses. Especially the vermetid, for some reason it reminded me of one even though I can't tell if it made its own shell (not gluing together sand) or remember how many tentacles are usually showing, or see any tell-tale mucus. It could be another spionid, definitely.

My notes are in red above. HTH

Maybe it is, I could see it either way. If it's planted on the rock in the center on a face that faces the camera, it's probably a small nem and not a duster, but I was seeing it as extending from the rock on the left - I have a number of dusters with that same coloration of a white fringe and a red inner part and when they aren't fully extended, they have that general profile too. I suppose coming out of the rock on the left could probably work as a nem too.... meh, I'm trying :D

The one with the tank can probably determine for sure.

altolamprologus
Maybe it is, I could see it either way. If it's planted on the rock in the center on a face that faces the camera, it's probably a small nem and not a duster, but I was seeing it as extending from the rock on the left - I have a number of dusters with that same coloration of a white fringe and a red inner part and when they aren't fully extended, they have that general profile too. I suppose coming out of the rock on the left could probably work as a nem too.... meh, I'm trying :D

The one with the tank can probably determine for sure.

Well the pic really sucks, but his description of it being a polyp that closes up into a ball sold it for me

Thanks for IDs guys. Yeah I know the pictures aren't the best, still trying to figure out what's the best settings for the camera. Having a new tank is exciting and the live rock will start to change in the coming days and weeks. Being new to the hobby reading lots and asking questions you learn a lot.

Archived