Top Shelf Aquatics

Check my 1st quarantine/hospital tank plan?

acronce

Hi all,

I'm setting up a hospital tank to deal with an early stage ich problem. Baring issues feeding my Rainford's goby (for which I started another thread earlier today) I'm finalizing the plan to set up the QT and move forward with treatment. I've researched on this site and elsewhere, and I *think* I know what to do. But since I've never done it before, it would be nice to run the plan past this group to see if I'm missing anything.

For the tank, I picked up a 10 gallon Marineland LED aquarium kit. I went for this kit because it was pretty cheap ($70) and had almost everything I need, including a HOB power filter, heater, and cover. It was about the same price as if I tried to piece together a barebones from scratch. The LED is probably useless for anything other than basic illumination, but this is just going to be a QT tank anyway.

I added in a cheap air pump, check valve, and air stone to help increase oxygen while medicating.

For medication, I picked up some Cupramine. I also got some Seachem Garlic Guard to help keep appetites high. I was more interested in Kent Garlic Extreme (because people on this forum seem to like it), but they didn't have it at my LFS and I wanted to get all the materials together quickly.

I've verified that the to-be QT tank does not leak, rinsing it out at the same time.

So here's the basic plan:

* Pull 5 gallons out of my BC29 and put it into the new QT tank, filling the rest with newly made seawater.

* Take the current, dirty filter floss from my BC29 media rack and stick it in the HOB, without putting in the usual HOB's carbon filter. I just did a water change yesterday, so the filter floss is not that dirty, but hopefully it will be enough.

* Put in some PVC pipe for the fish to hide in.

* Turn on the heater and HOB and get the temp to match my BC29 as closely as possible.

* Turn on the air pump.

* Test the water quality, especially nitrates (although they should be zero), and temp again.

Here's where I get a little uneasy. Can I just transfer the fish into the QT at this point?

I know that some people have recommended using Dr. Tim's Aquatics One And Only nitrifying bacteria. Is that really needed or will the waste water and old filter floss be enough to get things started? If I need something like "One and Only", then I'm probably going to have to order it soon.

I switch out filter floss from the BC29 every few days. Would it help ongoing to put my waste filter floss in the HOB during the quarantine process? Maybe that's unnecessary if things start out well, and if the bio wheel in the power filter starts taking over.

During the quarantine process, I understand that I will have to do frequent water changes since there will effectively be no filtration. I've only got 3 fish. I'm thinking that a gallon water change every couple of days will probably be enough. I guess I have to test the water every day until I've got a routine that keeps nitrates in check.

I figured I'd wait a day or two before using the Cupramine. I want to give the fish a chance to acclimate to the new, smaller tank. I've never used garlic, but I think that it probably makes sense to start at this point, whether the fish display appetite problems or not. Sounds like the jury is out on whether or not garlic actually boosts fish immune systems, but I figure it can't hurt and might help ;-)

After they're in the QT and eating, I plan to just follow the directions on the Cupramine bottle. As I understand it, in general I should not run carbon filtration while medicating. But at this point I doubt I'll ever put the original filter into the HOB.

Sounds like I have to keep these guys in the QT tank for somewhere between 5 to 8 weeks.

I've also heard that If I boost the temp in my main BC29 to something like 82 degrees, it will speed the life cycle of the ich parasite. The remaining livestock are a couple of peppermint shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a very tiny emerald crab, a zoa coral, and a bunch of snails that make up our CUC. I think they should be fine with a temporary temperature boost.

Does that above sound like it will work? Anything that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Best,

--

Allen Cronce

Hey Allen...You are on the right track....seeing as I'm almost 7weeks in on my QT, can I share what I did?

I did use One and Only...but I didnt have any floss or media at all. If you use floss I think it should be a little more used than just a couple of days..more like a few weeks. That way a established colony of bacteria is present. I used about 7 gallons for my initial fill of old sw to new QT tank (10G), and I did just transfer my fish over...(bar goby, firefish, six-line) And if you have any stresszyme that would be good too! I dont think your missing anything that I see....but double check all your steps for your fishes sake! I did a two gal wc every 3-4 days but my One and Only was effective right from the start. My first ammonia test was less than 15ppm....the next day was less than that... If your really concerned with keeping ammonia low and getting your biological filter running....maintain a wc everyday..like a gallon or so and that will keep it low till your filter establishes! HTH and hope your fish get better!!!! Oh, I used cuperamine also, I raised my temp to 80 in DT...and at a minimum at least 8 weeks fallow DT and 8 weeks QT..Josh

The stuff works....what more can I say, I'm not a sales rep or getting a kickback....just is unbelievable...biological magic!!!!!!!

Archived