Pod Your Reef

Frogspawn attacked by peppermint

nystang

I bought a two headed fragspawn today and soon after putting it to the DT one of my peppermints attacked it and pulled several tentacles (if I called them correctly. The frowgspawn began to open up when I put it to the DT and now doesn't want to open anymore. Does it recover from this? It looks like the peppermint is not interested in it anymore.

Captain Hook

I think your shrimp are hungry....try feeding them more. Its a good idea to spot feed them some bits of meat, and than it shouldnt go for the coral. Probably started going at ir right away because it was hungry and thought it was a food source.

I didn't feed them too much because I don't like them too much :D

My wife always calls them big roaches.

Do you think the frogspawn will recover from this attack? I will try to submit a pic in a moment.

Here it is:

altolamprologus

The frogspawn will recover, but you need to remove the peppermints. They are notorious for eating coral and once one develops a taste for it, you never know when it will go back for more.

Damn, I have 4 of them. Last night even my red coral banded shrimp was interested in the frogspawn. He was standing in front of it for a long time and touching the coral with his antenna and front legs. I didn't notice any damage to the frogspawn this morning so maybe they got over it.

Lps generally recover well, but can take a month to be back to full fighting fitness. My filefish turned on my hammer coral and learnt a very harsh lesson when he discovered that hammer, frogspawn and torches are extremely noxious. His meal poisoned him so badly that he ultimatetely died. I don't know if peppermints will react the same way and now leave it alone. But unfortunately they just cannot be trusted, next week it could be other prized possession of yours that they turn on. Semi reef safe animals are fine as long as you're prepared that there will be casualties

Well, I don't know if he liked the frogspawn or not, but one of my peppermints molted last night. If that was the same that ate my frogspawn before, I don't know what to think now...

By the way the frogspawn looks very good this morning.

I am still having hard time figuring out if I have a hammer or frogspawn. The store said it was a hammer and another local reefer said that it was one, but the coloring and every damn picture that I found say that it's a frogspawn.

Anyway, they are very hardy. LFs said that it needs no acclimation. Just drop it in. That's what I did and it's been doing great ever since. Well, except for the part where it got knocked down 3-4 times and fell on it's heads. Shriveled up like yours but within an hour or so it was happy and fully inflated.

Just wait it out. It will be fine. And get rid of those peppermint roaches. There is a reason they are only $3 at every LFS. They are only good for one thing - killing aiptasia.

lagunastudio

My peppermint shrimp did the same thing. I started spot feeding him when I caught him doing it and that quickly took his attention off of it. He picked at it for 2-3 days then stopped. It seems to me that my peppermint is the most curious of all in my tank and always inspects new corals. Its possible that when it was picking at the frogspawn it might have been cleaning it or going for something else that was on it and pulling some of the tentacles off by accident?

To add to this, yesterday one of my peppermints, although I don't know if the same one, was attacking my duncan but the duncan closed completely so the peppermint was not able to pull any tentacles.

The best shrimp that I have is the blood shrimp. He is not interested in any corals, wars, etc.

davidncbrown

Had a peppermint that killed a birdsnest in our first tank. It would just eat all the polyps off until the entire coral was bald. He promptly went back to the LFS after we discovered this.

lagunastudio

peppermints can be little punks. i tried to take mine out but couldn't catch him, luckily he stopped messing with the frogspawn.

Wow that sucks... the 1st I heard of peppermints eating/attacking corals. Good to know before I bought some. I guess some sexy shrimp would be better options

lagunastudio

yup lfs told me peppermint shrimp were essential.. They do help out in eating left over food that falls and he seems to have a pretty decent appetite. But honestly go with blood shrimp or sexy. Blood shrimp are great, they help out a lot. Mine stays in the rock work and cleans the substrate under the rocks as well as all of the fish. My blood shrimp seems real anal, he's always tidying up his quarters which happens to be the sand under my rock work that would normally get pretty dirty. It never touches any corals and eats a ton of food that doesn't get picked up by the fishes. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have bought the peppermint although his deviousness is pretty amusing. He always seems like he's up to some kind of trouble.

Grumblecakes

i bought two and kept them for about 2 days. they would flip snails over, kill and eat them.

I tore off a few tentacles on my frogspawn with the vac once about. the head didnt open much for a few days but recovered quickly. I think coral can take a little more abuse than some people will let on. I came back from a 5 day vacation to find my montipora upside down in the sand, put it back on to the rock and it opened up the next day.

One thing I noticed is that peppermints are very inquisitive, they always inspect new comers (sometimes taste them as well). They definitely will go after an injured coral, lost a 4 headed torch in a few days because of my shrimp.

Archived