Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shallow 8.3 Gallon Lagoon

duoc9119

You did a good job on fragging and mounting the surviving frags although thats no guarantee they'll survive. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Yeah I don't have any bone cutters since I haven't had stony corals before, so I found some brand new breakaway box cutting blades and used that. Chiseled a rock to get rubble to mount them onto. Lol

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving the tank back home this Friday.

Plan is to put all rock in the bucket sump and seal it up with the lid. Bag up the corals, fish, snails, and dragons breath. Put the tank water in containers. Put all hardware in my box of wires. And move out it all out at once.

Probably leave my 1/2" sand bed and a layer of water in the tank. Then unload the car, set up the tank and hardware, pour the water back in. Place live rock back in the tank. Put livestock back in, wait an hour or two to see if its all good to go.

Sounds simple enough, hopefully if all goes without a hitch. Let me know if I'm missing a step or should do something differently

Got a very nice deal on an MP10es here on NR!

Will be shipped Thursday so I'm expecting it to get to my house sometime next week!

Moving the tank back home this Friday.

Plan is to put all rock in the bucket sump and seal it up with the lid. Bag up the corals, fish, snails, and dragons breath. Put the tank water in containers. Put all hardware in my box of wires. And move out it all out at once.

Probably leave my 1/2" sand bed and a layer of water in the tank. Then unload the car, set up the tank and hardware, pour the water back in. Place live rock back in the tank. Put livestock back in, wait an hour or two to see if its all good to go.

Sounds simple enough, hopefully if all goes without a hitch. Let me know if I'm missing a step or should do something differently

Sounds like a decent plan. I did something very similar when I purchased my 55g.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the mp10 today and have it running in the tank.

Didn't realize it was the wireless version, but there is a hum when running.

Not really sure if the hum is supposed to be there or not. Normal? Its not a vibrating hum because I aligned the wetside until the vibrating stopped. Its just a small hum from the dry side

Got the mp10 today and have it running in the tank.

Didn't realize it was the wireless version, but there is a hum when running.

Not really sure if the hum is supposed to be there or not. Normal? Its not a vibrating hum because I aligned the wetside until the vibrating stopped. Its just a small hum from the dry side

What speed do you have it on? I found that with mine the higher the speed the louder the "hum."

Also, I was told (and read) that this hum goes away after a short while. Give the MP10 some time to break in :).

Sorry haven't been around much! I have been looking at lionfish advice on a different forum!

Working on the 40B in the fall dedicated to dwarf lions. Went to the LFS Sunday and found this little guy...

Simba.jpg

Simba2.jpg

He's just slightly bigger than my sixline (just about 2-2.5" and they are getting together just fine. Getting him trained to frozen jumbo mysis, so far so good, he's eating freshly killed ghost shrimp.

This tank will become a 40B in the fall. This summer is being spent collecting equipment and supplies.

Plans are to get a trio of fuzzies, or have a few different species of lions and scorpions.

The 8.3 gallon might turn into a mantis aio in the future! Just put a pump into the overflow chamber, route one of the bulkheads to the tank return.

Bump!

Lion has been eating jumbo mysis like a pig a few days into having him. Now just trying out little things here and there like adding nori to the jumbo mysis or stuffing the mysis head with pellets.

Going to get some salmon, table shrimp, and squid at the supermarket sometime and giving that a go.

Nice dwarf!! Do you wear gloves when handling/cleaning the tank??

No gloves, you want to be able to easily handle things in the tank so that you don't spook the dwarf. I find that most gloves make it difficult to grasp things and get in the way.

I also don't have my hand directly in the tank much. I clean the inside acrylic with a handled cleaner brush and rigid tubing to nudge things around.

It didn't do well at all when I got the tank moved back home. My parents kept the house at 77, and in this Texas summer, the house got to an easy 80. Tank fluctuated 78-83 throughout the day.

So long story short, the tank temp would not stay stable at home and they withered away.

Wasn't much I can do but turn down the heat, just for it to be cranked back up again. Or place a fan just for it to be turned off.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update besides I'm keeping the tank at 80 now so there isn't much of a swing.

Dragon's Breath has been clipped 2 more times, seems to be growing pretty quick.

The fuzzy dwarf has been great, as well as the six-line, both eating like pigs.

This tank will soon be taken down because I am currently building a 40B lion/scorp tank which everything will be moved into. Then this tank will become a QT for incoming lion/scorps

Archived