SaltCritters.com

Shallow 8.3 Gallon Lagoon

duoc9119

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updates! (Kinda)

I'm looking into LEDtric Par38's right now and really like the TruPop and Full Spectrum. Probably do either or, but right now waiting for the PAR readings of both 60* and 80* to see which would be better for the tank.

Found a few spots of bubble algae on the only live rock I bought. But I took care of it! Hopefully well enough.

I took the piece out, and carefully got under it with a razer and pulled it off. Only popped one on accident, so I scrapped the area with the razer and swished it in a small bucket of saltwater to rinse off any spores that may be on the rock.

Going to let the tank sit for a bit to see if I end up with a bubble algae invasion. Crossing my fingers that I did a good enough job removing the algae.

Nothing new really.

Just changed out filter socks. Looking at Salty Critters to fill the tank with corals this summer.

I still haven't gotten a new nitrate testing kit yet, but I don't see the six-line, conch, tongan nassarius, or the two margarita snails going nuts or anything, and haven't seen any sign of diatoms or other algaes.

So I am assuming my nitrates are at a stand still 0. Lol

Thanks!

Anyone know if the Boostled Par30 will be enough for ric's and zoa's from the pictures? Its about 6 inches off the water surface, so about 15inches to the sandbed.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Thanks!

Anyone know if the Boostled Par30 will be enough for ric's and zoa's from the pictures? Its about 6 inches off the water surface, so about 15inches to the sandbed.

I would make sure you raise the bulb far enough that it doesn't create spot, and that you don't lose PAR in height!

Also if you ever go with the Acrylic canopy and stand, you will have to rig the bulb in there some way. I don't like them for canopy purpose, I like the Aqua Illumination more, it's a cleaner look when all is hidden.

You should be getting those bulkheads on Saturday! I've been busy with work! Can't wait to see more updates!

MG

I might do just the stand, since I am planning on hanging the Par bulb from the ceiling when I get the chance. Something about the modern pendant lamp look I like.

Can't wait to have some extra money to order the stand. Sounds pretty awesome.

I will pick up the bulkheads Monday. Its Easter Friday so campus is shut down for the weekend. slackers. <_<

So looks like getting some money for the stand is first priority. Don't have anything to support the tank when I move off campus. Lol

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I might do just the stand, since I am planning on hanging the Par bulb from the ceiling when I get the chance. Something about the modern pendant lamp look I like.

Can't wait to have some extra money to order the stand. Sounds pretty awesome.

I will pick up the bulkheads Monday. Its Easter Friday so campus is shut down for the weekend. slackers. <_<

So looks like getting some money for the stand is first priority. Don't have anything to support the tank when I move off campus. Lol

Get the stand! It is worth it's weight in GOLD! I PROMISE YOU THAT! It's not cheap but I will discount the hell out of it so you can have it!

It's the shipping that will kill me, my company is not made to take on large items for shipping!

But I have to do it, I need to see your tank on that stand! We can wait!

I want to see you install the bulkheads I sent you!

MG

Got the bulkheads! Going to install the emergency one first, and then the main drain. I removed the filter sock and theres a dust storm in the tank. Lol

The stand sure does sound nice, but with the upcoming apartment and taking on 3 studio classes next semester, money is going to be tight. Lol But I will see if I could find a job over the summer and get the stand before moving in around August. As of now, there isn't anywhere to put the stand for storage. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Went back to my hometown this weekend and visited a good friend that works at the only LFS in the city. Just hanging out cleaning tanks towards the back of the shop and somehow we both missed some guy walk in through the front door, steal my friends phone from the counter, and run off.

After going back several hours of security footage, we figured out where the phone went because it basically disappeared.

For helping figure out where his phone was, he gave me a nice sized frag of dragon's breath, and for helping figure out how to download footage off the dvr to the computer, the owner of the shop gave me a nice 1"x1" frag of Green Slimer with 4 branches.

Wasn't much of anywhere to stick it because of the ceramic plug it was in so I broke off the plug and superglued it directly under my Par30. Now its just adjusting the Korilla Nano 240 to suit it.

Any help on placement? Direct flow right on the Green Slimer? Around the coral?

It is also my first SPS. So any help would be nice!

Its slightly over 8 gallons with a 5 gallon sump, about 13ish gallons in total.

A throttled down Rio 1100+ (not sure about the gph) and a Korilla Nano 240. Par30 from Boostled.

Weekly water changes, feed pellets every other day, occasional mysis. Not dosing anything.

Clipped a piece of Dragon's Breath to see if I can get it growing in the bucket sump.

Hoping it will grow enough to start selling small pieces here on NR

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Duoc,

Can we see a picture of your herbie drains? A lot of reefers have asked me why it has two bulkheads in the overflow box.

Just wanted to see if you could tackle a picture and explain process, I'll direct them to your thread!

Thanks,

MG

Duoc,

Can we see a picture of your herbie drains? A lot of reefers have asked me why it has two bulkheads in the overflow box.

Just wanted to see if you could tackle a picture and explain process, I'll direct them to your thread!

Thanks,

MG

Yeah, I forgot about getting pictures of the drains.

Right after the water goes through the overflow

Photo1031.jpg

A simplified herbie style over flow without the standpipe. I went with this route because it saved space and was simple. As with any herbie style, you have the full siphon (bottom bulkhead) and the emergency (top bulkhead). Here I decided to have the water level just under the emergency. Other variations have the emergency skim the surface, but it is usually for standpipe versions.

Side shot of the tank

Photo1032.jpg

You can see the water level much clearer. The water level is high enough so that water isn't splashing through the overflow but low enough that it wouldn't take much for the emergency to kick in if there was a clog.

Back of the tank

Photo1034.jpg

I am using barbed right angle fittings to go straight to the bucket sump. I haven't put in the right bulkhead for the bottom (full siphon) bulkhead yet because it is a bit harder to put in without turning the tank off. The far back is the return, also 3/4".

Top shot of the bucket sump

Photo1033.jpg

A little change here, I replaced the buckets lid with eggcrate because the lid made it too hard for getting into the sump. The gate valve controls the full siphon to keep the water level in the overflow. There is no valve on the emergency (tube at the top). This would allow the emergency to run full siphon in case the tank floods, a bit over 1000gph. Theres a glimpse of the return line under the full siphon tubing. I have it teed back into the sump, but is closed off now. Probably will be using it for fast water changes.

Pictures of my Green Slimer frag! It was free from the LFS, and my first SPS, and have no idea what I'm doing! Lol

Front shot

Photo1030.jpg

Side

Photo1030.jpg

Theres a glimpse of my Dragons Breath I got from them for free as well.

I made a frag rack by gluing eggcrate to a magfloat and putting it in my bucket sump. Then decided to take a trimming of Dragons Breath and mounting it on a plug and trying to grow it in my sump.

Congrats on the frag unfortunately its suffering from RTN(rapid tissue necrosis) and will die shortly. You should try cutting off the tips that are still alive and mounting them to a piece of live rock in hopes of saving the remaining coral.

Congrats on the frag unfortunately its suffering from RTN(rapid tissue necrosis) and will die shortly. You should try cutting off the tips that are still alive and mounting them to a piece of live rock in hopes of saving the remaining coral.

Thanks! That's how I got it and is my first SPS. So I'm don't know first hand what RTN and other SPS related issues look like, just read about it and assumed the living tissue was literally falling off left and right.

So I got back from work and fragged the Green Slimer, as Rehype had advised.

They sure are Green Slimers, assuming they got their name from the strings of slime they are putting out after I had fragged them.

A total of four 1/4"-1/2" sizes on fragments of rocks.

Photo1035.jpg

Photo1036.jpg

Tell me how I did please! It was the first SPS coral and first SPS fragging.

You did a good job on fragging and mounting the surviving frags although thats no guarantee they'll survive. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Archived