ReefCleaners.org

I need help (LED)

carriej

Hi Folks,

I have decided I want to go with LEDs for my 20 gal long tank. I'm a little concerned since the tank is only 12 inches high, what kind of options do I have?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I don't mind spending money if it's going to be worth it.

I'm also in Canada - I don't mind ordering from an American company as long as the shipping doesn't kill me, but I would prefer a Canadian one since I don't have to worry about duties (which are the real killer!)

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it fully. I have never used an LED light (I run t5HOs on my freshwater tanks) so I don't understand the conversion, since a lot of LED fixtures are like 20 watts (and I'm like !?!?!?!).

Thanks folks.

godfathernikki
Hi Folks,

I have decided I want to go with LEDs for my 20 gal long tank. I'm a little concerned since the tank is only 12 inches high, what kind of options do I have?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I don't mind spending money if it's going to be worth it.

I'm also in Canada - I don't mind ordering from an American company as long as the shipping doesn't kill me, but I would prefer a Canadian one since I don't have to worry about duties (which are the real killer!)

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it fully. I have never used an LED light (I run t5HOs on my freshwater tanks) so I don't understand the conversion, since a lot of LED fixtures are like 20 watts (and I'm like !?!?!?!).

Thanks folks.

If your comfortable with a DIY light, take a look at aquastyleonline.com They are super cheap and have really good reviews. It does come from hong kong so shipping is expensive, but the overall price is still half as much if not cheaper than any comparable commercial light that I have been able to find.

I'm planning on ordering from them, just need to decide what setup I want.

I was kind of hoping for a "plug in" type experience... :)

However I will have a look at that website. I guess I just don't understand how to put it together yourself, and I am bound to mess something up and/or burn down my house!

godfathernikki
I was kind of hoping for a "plug in" type experience... :)

Yea I wanted the same thing when I decided I wanted to switch. From what I've found, Par38 bulbs are your cheaper reef capable system, but you still need a fixture to screw them into- I see the bulbs normally for around $100+ each, and you may need more than 1.

Other premade fixtures like the ones Dr Foster&Smith just got will run you $400+.

The 24led kit from aquastyleonline (which will probably need to be dimmed down a bit for my 12gal) runs $99

However I will have a look at that website. I guess I just don't understand how to put it together yourself, and I am bound to mess something up and/or burn down my house!

I thought the same thing here too, but after researching I found that there is very little involved in actually building it. All the components are pre-manufactured, which means you basically glue/screw down your LEDs to a heatsync, and solder everything together.

I'm still deciding on what route to take, but I'm definitely going to take the plunge sooner or later.

School yourself a bit, it will help:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186982

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=261164

Lots of good info and how-to's from experienced reefers in these^^

I recently found myself in a similar predicament, as I needed to replace my PC refugium fixture and found the coralife T5-NO to be woefully insufficient.

These things are bright! B)

TrueLumen Pro 8000K 24" LED x2

truelumen_pro_8000K_24_inch_LED_x2.jpg

Brighter than both T5-HO or PC of equivalent length. They're serious overkill for my fuge, but I wanted it that way. Anyway, the TrueLumen Pro series comes in a variety of spectrums for display tanks. The fixtures use 3 LEDs & 1 watt per inch, so the LEDs are either 1/3rd or perhaps 1/4th watt each, depending on how efficiently the wattage is used. The heat-sink aluminum exterior gets warm, but not hot.

Placed edge to edge, you can fit one fixture per inch. They're made to be placed in a canopy, but I've lashed these two together with a piece of eggcrate and a bit of fishing line.

Hope this helps! :)

This is all interesting! I am willing to spend 200$ ish.. Maybe a little more for a fully functional "plug and play" system. I want enough light that I'm not going to be itching for any type of upgrade, and I want a really nice color.

I am planning on having a canopy - my fiance is very handy and can build stuff like that no problem. It's all this electrical stuff that is a bit more confusing.

I'll keep browsing and hope for an idea.. lol

Archived