Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First coral

lifen

I'm looking to buy my first coral next week. The cycle is finished, the CUC has been added and are munching away on the algae. I have rescaped the tank a bit.

I believe it's safe to add one coral on Monday. The problem is.. Which one?!

It would be nice to have a coral that is:

- easy to keep

- colourful (no brown stuff please)

- "moves" in the water, but not from the rock

Thanks!

How about a nice mushroom? They do spread rather quick though.

While I do want a mushroom one day, I want a very nice "moving" coral for my first one.

But I will add a mushroom as the second one.

get a frogspawn.

From what I've read, they are very aggressive and have a mean sting.

ATM I'm looking at a Green Star Polyps coral. It looks really nice, and seems to have a good "move". Doesn't sting and grows fast. http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=20

Anything similar?

devilsadvocate

well if you put them next to something they will attack. as will most any other coral.

mines sitting right next to some ricordea mushrooms and ive never had a problem.

If you want real action in your tank, get some pulsating Xenia. I absolutely love mine. They aren't an aggressive stinging coral.....as far as I know. Depending on what Xenia you get, they can grow fast. I lucked out and got my hands on some pulsating Xenia that doesn't spread fast. I wanted a lacy look to my tank, so I added some Clove Anthellia. Now there's a coral that will take up a lot of real estate in your tank! Mushrooms may not be as active as most softies, but when they are opened up fully, the flow in the tank flutters them a bit. Quite nice. Here is a photo of my Pulsating Xenia, Clove Anthellia (which I guess is in the same family as Xenia), Pink Zoas and my mushrooms.

post-70262-1332007780_thumb.jpg

First of all I do not have any corals yet but I am researching a lot. I found that a lot of people who bought Green Star Polyp regret it over time because it spreads like a week.

I also want some "moving" coral and I was looking at green duncan.

If you want real action in your tank, get some pulsating Xenia. I absolutely love mine. They aren't an aggressive stinging coral.....as far as I know. Depending on what Xenia you get, they can grow fast. I lucked out and got my hands on some pulsating Xenia that doesn't spread fast. I wanted a lacy look to my tank, so I added some Clove Anthellia. Now there's a coral that will take up a lot of real estate in your tank! Mushrooms may not be as active as most softies, but when they are opened up fully, the flow in the tank flutters them a bit. Quite nice. Here is a photo of my Pulsating Xenia, Clove Anthellia (which I guess is in the same family as Xenia), Pink Zoas and my mushrooms.

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately it seems that Pulsating Xenia and Clove Anthellia only come in pinkish tints. Not my favourite colour. Maybe when I see them in real life, I will be sold. The movement looks nice though!

I'll definitely get some zoas and mushrooms later!

First of all I do not have any corals yet but I am researching a lot. I found that a lot of people who bought Green Star Polyp regret it over time because it spreads like a week.

I also want some "moving" coral and I was looking at green duncan.

A green duncan looks really cool! Thanks for the tip!

Also, the faster they grow, the more you can frag and the more you can sell. So I don't think it's a bad thing. :)

Builder Anthony

do research on the species of mushhroom you intend to buy,my tank thread proves they are not fast multiplers under my tank conditions.i wouldnt recomend it as a beginer coral.zoanthids are the easiest in my opinion.make sure you keep your salt levels in check with them certain species melt under those conditions.leathers,kenya tree are also more tolerat of mistakes and should give you the hang of water quality to persue mushrooms,be sure to stay away from yumas since some require more care

Get a torch or galaxia.

Galaxia looks awesome, but has long sweeper tentacles. :[

Torch is the same.

I'm wondering... How hard is it to deal with these tentacles? I don't want to get hurt when I'm rescaping or fragging them. Neither do I want to get livestock hurt.

Jesus you are picky :P

I have Galaxea in my nano reef. The tentables won't hurt you at all. I can touch mine. High flow seems to limit the length of them... but I still probably wouldn't recommend them. If you want one though... make the current push the coral away from your other corals. I haven't had an incident. Its beautiful.

I second Xenia although you don't like the color.

Green Star Polyps are my absolute favorite.

Jesus you are picky :P

I have Galaxea in my nano reef. The tentables won't hurt you at all. I can touch mine. High flow seems to limit the length of them... but I still probably wouldn't recommend them. If you want one though... make the current push the coral away from your other corals. I haven't had an incident. Its beautiful.

I second Xenia although you don't like the color.

Green Star Polyps are my absolute favorite.

Hehe I know! Thanks for all the information, really appreciated!

Your lighting plays a giant part in how corals look though. You didn't really tell us what you have. Or you did and I didn't read too closely which happens a fair amount. My lighting is mostly royal blue with a neutral white and a bright white. It gives green and blue corals a nice pop with the neutral white giving some of the red coral a nice color.

Here are the corals I have... all have been doing wonderfully since I purchased them. If you want pictures of any or even a video let me know.

Pulsing Xenia

Green Ricordea

Red Rhodactis

Galaxea

Loco Lobo

Colt Leather

Brown Polyps

I'm using two of these: http://www.widmer-aquarium.ch/catalog/images/DA204504.jpg (Aquatic Nature EVOLUX BLUE-white 11 watt (30000-10000 kelvin))

They should be good enough for SPS and LPS.

Don't worry about pictures, I'll just google those. Thanks for the offer though!

Edit: A green toadstool looks cool. But I don't have a lot of sandbed left for me to set it on. And I'm not sure if it would look good on the rocks.

Looks kinda dull during the day though. Thanks for the tip!

If by 'dull' you mean ridiculously awesome contrasting colors, then yeah.

GL

Captain Hook
Galaxia looks awesome, but has long sweeper tentacles. :[

Torch is the same.

I'm wondering... How hard is it to deal with these tentacles? I don't want to get hurt when I'm rescaping or fragging them. Neither do I want to get livestock hurt.

Torches arent as bad as you think, they do have longer tentacles than some of the LPS however you wont go to bed one night and wake up the next morning and your torch killed everything overnight. ITs going to take a while before it gets big enough to become a problem. torches are cool and fun to watch. Also look into hammer corals, or frogspawn, they have the same kind of look as a torch but shorter tenetacles. Cant go wrong with some zoos or mushrooms either. Green watermelon shrooms are a good starter corals, same as green hairy mushrooms. GSP is fine if you keep it segregated from rocks you dont want it spreading to.

If by 'dull' you mean ridiculously awesome contrasting colors, then yeah.

GL

Hey don't feel offended. Just different tastes. :)

Torches arent as bad as you think, they do have longer tentacles than some of the LPS however you wont go to bed one night and wake up the next morning and your torch killed everything overnight. ITs going to take a while before it gets big enough to become a problem. torches are cool and fun to watch. Also look into hammer corals, or frogspawn, they have the same kind of look as a torch but shorter tenetacles. Cant go wrong with some zoos or mushrooms either. Green watermelon shrooms are a good starter corals, same as green hairy mushrooms. GSP is fine if you keep it segregated from rocks you dont want it spreading to.

Hmm thanks man! I'll check up on all the corals and see what looks the most interesting to me.

I'm not offended, just never heard someone call a chalice dull.

You also apparently have 0 taste ATM.

I'm gonna have to +1 this. I don't have one yet, but boy do I want a Chalice.

I caught mine early this am, it had super gnar tentacle extension.

I was lucky to snap a decent pic.

And by 0 taste I mean it's your first coral.

It's hard to know what you like if you've never kept anything IMO.

Archived