inTank Media Baskets

(un)Official Aussie/NZ Reefer Thread

castiel

G'Day fellow reefers based in Australia & NZ. australia-flag.gif

I don't know about you, but I find nano-reef.com to be more useful and inspiring, with better interactions, than forums focused on Australia (eg MASA). But at the same time, it drives me nuts how easy the Americans have it when it comes to reefing! To name just a few

• A multitude of cheap online coral, livestock and equipment vendors!
  • The fact that they get such beautiful 'Aussie' corals that we never see sight of!
  • A network strong enough to swap and trade frags, attend frag swaps/sales.
  • All of the latest and greatest reefing equipment, lighting, etc.

So I felt it was time that we share our experiences, help each other make the best of our reefs with the limited resources that we have.

A few questions for all of you:

1. Where are you based?
  2. What type of system do you have?
  3. Any plans for future systems?
  4. Where do you buy equipment?
  5. What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to?
  6. Where do you get livestock?
  7. What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to?
  8. Where do you get coral?
  9. What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to?
  10. What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)?
  11. How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US?
  12. Any other comments

I'll start a bit later with my answer list, unless anyone beats me to it.

Cheers

ps - you don't have to answer the questions or keep this thread structured, just join in however you want to.

tumbleweed-o.gif

1. Where are you based?
    Melbourne, Easten Suburbs
    2x Dymax IQ5s (13L)
    A 60x30x36 low iron glass waiting to be set up when I move house
    TheReefShop, AquariumProducts mostly. Occasionally eBay
    Decent/well priced LED options, eg Boost LED PAR lamps, AI Nano
    Reeflections LFS, Mentone LFS
    Invertebrates! Particularly shrimp and crab (eg pom pom, emerald)
    Same as above, sometimes also Seca Marine LFS
    Zoas, Chalice, Acans ... the premium stuff
  10. What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)?
    Premium corals for a reasonable price, inverts as mentioned, nano equipment (eg nimble nano) without having to wait weeks for delivery
    Far less choice, far fewer options available for corals, livestock and equipment
  12. Any other comments
    My wife is sick of me comparing prices of things over here to the US

I have to agree with you Castiel about prices, ours are way over priced

EG:

Hydor nano skim - Au $270 USA $100

API test kit - Au $50 USA $20

Tunze ATO Au $290 usa $200

Rowaphos, Rowacarbon and Tunze w/pumps are double if not more here (eg rowaphos Au $50 usa $20)

I have not started my nano SW tank yet but ive got a list of equipment i will get and its around $2000 wheres if i got it in the states it would be around $800-$1000 max lol

I have bought from thereefshop before and never had any problems, also i like the age of aquariums theres alot of equioment on there at decent prices

P.S dont even get me started on the corals we cant get lol

DIY Cube Nano Man

1. Where are you based?
    Brisbane, Queensland

LPS and softies tank with various other mixed inhabitants (2+ years on).
    Planted tank (macro only at this stage) gobies, banggai's pair, blennies, pistols, cucumbers etc (only 6months old - hoping to get a shrimp goby in soon.
    Small pico pods tank - just started recently.

Pulling apart my LPS and softies tank and turning into two smaller tanks of total similar volume (I only rent and it is current too big to manage moving all the time) Also wanted to sep my WA hairy red rock lobster from the fish - they dont always all get a long at times, and the wrasse steals its food all the time

From aquarium supplies wholesalers as much as possible, or who ever can offer decent not too inflated prices.

Larger range of LED fixtures. Cheaper chillers/Protein skimmers and Everything else cheaper in general - Sick of DIYing everything because I can't afford stuff.

LFS's (pet city/marine mate/aquarium warehouse)

Wider variety of gobies/shrimps/algae - CHEATO would be nice/seagrasses

LFS's as per above

More morphs/rics

Everything

Much larger following in the US, only in its infancy over here in AUS. Time may change this - My local LFS is starting info/training nights around keeping and maintaining healthy reef aquaria.

12. Any other comments
    Not at this point.

I have to agree with you Castiel about prices, ours are way over priced

P.S dont even get me started on the corals we cant get lol

Hah, isn't that the truth.

hoping to get a shrimp goby in soon.

My LFS (Reeflections) got a couple of Goby-Shrimp pairs in recently ... $250! If I had had my larger tank set up and ready I may well have had to buy ... first I have seen locally in a year, and I visit a lot of LFSs.

Anyone in Aus ever tried ordering corals online? I've been researching some options, but haven't yet gone for it.

http://www.oceanarium.com.au

http://www.coralcrazy.com.au

http://www.coralcandy.com.au

http://www.coralmania.com.au

http://www.mattrichards.id.au

http://www.100percentreefsafe.com.au

NewZealandReefie

There's a guy here, Ru, who recently got approval for his new import and quarantine facility. Hopefully he'll iron out the hiccups (there's been such a phenominal demand he's had some issues keeping up) in his systems and maybe eventually start importing equipment as well.

He's been fantastic competition price-wise so far for all the old school importers who have been greedily snatching every cent they can from everyone here because they held such a monopoly on the market (to the best of my knowledge, there are only about 3-5 people who import marine livestock in to NZ).

Alois, Auckland (fish, coral and equipment)

Ru, Hastings (fish and coral)

Wonderworld, Rotorua (fish and coral)

Brooklyns (Fish only. Not sure where but they're useless and suffer from massive disease issues IME, I'll never buy a thing off them)

Some place in Christchurch I'm fairly sure import their own stuff, but I don't live there so I'm not sure heh

Deepblue in Hamilton imports equipment and sells aqua cultured corals that he raises.

This all goes for NZ too...

Absolutely - in fact I think you guys have it tougher than we do even!

Sounds like you need to setup your own Coral & Equipment shop in Australia. :P

You know I have thought about it ... I might talk to a few US vendors/manufacturers and see what kind of distribution set up we could organise. Shipping is often the killer ... but with a bit of investment in volume ...

NewZealandReefie

It's not an easy hobby here or in Aus, that's for sure! You've got to be willing to wait for things to become available and accept that there are some things you will simply never have.

The List from MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) of aquatic plants and animals that can be legally imported. That's not to say that we ever see even half that stuff. The list was updated last year (YAY!) for the first time in about 11 years. Some urchins were added, where previously there were none. Peppermint and camel shrimp were added etc.

Where are you based? Wellington, New Zealand.

What type of system do you have? 450L -ish mixed reef. Previously had an RSM 130 (first marine tank).

Any plans for future systems? Bigger... much bigger.

Where do you buy equipment? Various places. LFS in Porirua and Petone, international websites, TradeMe (NZ eBay type site), through classified on local forums. Wherever what I want is available from really.

What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to? EVERYTHING!

Where do you get livestock? LFS's as mentioned above and from fellow hobbyists.

What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to? Clean up crew, invertebrates.

Where do you get coral? LFS's as mentioned above and from fellow hobbyists.

What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to? Colourful rics and zoas. We get some amazing SPS here but the importers are total jerks and tend to just send their stuff out to a few select stores, mostly in Auckland so #### all good stuff comes to Wellington.

What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)? Vortech's. Only one guy imports them and he's an ass. We do have contact with a guy in Aus who is happy to ship to us though, we've discussed with him in the past, an EcoTech rep put us in touch with him when the NZ importer wouldn't help us. EcoTech were a bit pissed with his attitude to say the least (after all he'd be loosing them a sale).

How do you see reef keeping in Aus/NZ as different to the US? I do think that by and large people appreciate what they have more here, since it's so much harder to get good stuff it makes it much more satisfying when you do get it... so you tend not to want to kill it off.

/massive post.

Loving these updates, great to hear it's not just me that thinks like that!

I am seriously going to look into distribution a bit more ... even came up with a name and played with a logo earlier. Nano focused ... something we definitely don't have here.

r4Bkt.jpg

Cheese-Lover

Where are you based?

I'm currently in Ipwsich, QLD. Looking to move either to Brisbane itself or back to the Gold Coast.

What type of system do you have?

I have a 9l Boyu-####ty tank that is being restarted for the 3G comp.

And I also have a 2foot 98.9l tank that is just Fowlr.

Any plans for future systems?

I'm thinking of moving the LR and fish from the 2foot to a 4foot tank I have in the garage.... And grow a ####ton of macro. Since macro is so hard to get around here. >.>

Where do you buy equipment?

Ebay. If I can snipe someone on ebay, I will. The Boyu tank was $6. <.<

What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to?

Will I have skimmers and my lighting comes from China. I prefer a fan to a chiller and pumps are not too over priced. I just wish shipping from China was faster. >.>

Where do you get livestock?

Looking at my tank at the moment, my female occy came from Pet City (Mount Gravat) and the little perc and pair of b/w clown gobbies came from Aquarium Warehouse (Southport, Gold Coast)... And my Liverock is from Reef Secrets (Mermaid, Gold Coast. www.reefsecrets.com.au)

What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to?

I want more aquacultured coral.

Where do you get coral?

I'm thinking everything I get for my tank will come from MASA business partners / members.

What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to?

Being that I don't drive, I want delivery for less than the price of a kidney.

What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)?

Well, I don't really know. Other than the hardware... I've found that *most* livestock you can find through different members of MASA. And failing that, Dave from Reef Secrets is a great person to have looking out for stuff. I <3 Dave. He is a champ.

How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US?

Not overly.

Any other comments

Anyone in Aus want to send me some pretty macro? >.>

I'm serious, anyone want to post me some macro?

Hmm so it seems with MASA that if you know the right people, you can get what you need. I've thought that might be the case ... for example zoas. Never see any top end zoas for sale, but if you look at MASA member tanks they have them. Guess you need to get friendly with the 'in' crowd. Reef Secrets seems to have some nice stock ... not sure any LFS/online store in VIC has that kind of quality.

Cheese-Lover

Oh. With what is posted online for Reef Secrets... Its not even a fraction of what they keep in their tanks.

Every time I go in there, I'm shocked at something. If I had the money I'd be in there daily... Buying all the things.

The only problem with MASA, either nobody has any nice macro. Or if they do they don't share. I want macro damnit. >.>

Reeflections, my local LFS, usually has some for sale in bags. No idea what it is as I don't have a suitable tank for it so have never looked, but next time I go I'll ask what kind ... and if something you want will organise shipping up to you.

Cheese-Lover
Reeflections, my local LFS, usually has some for sale in bags. No idea what it is as I don't have a suitable tank for it so have never looked, but next time I go I'll ask what kind ... and if something you want will organise shipping up to you.

That would be great.

It would be really nice if someone in AUS could start dealing in the nicer macros. Maybe grow it on a decent scale...

OK here in the UK.

1.Where are you based? Bolton UK

2.What type of system do you have? Much customised River and Reef 94L

3.Any plans for future systems? Not at the mo.

4.Where do you buy equipment? Other reefers on UK forums. eBay. Online.

5.What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to? We get most equipment but some of the US LEDs however we do get some of these at present.

6.Where do you get livestock? Shops and fellow reefers off UK forums esp frags.

7.What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to? The UK is much improved now and we can get most stuff it seems without too much trouble.

8.Where do you get coral? Shops and other reefers on UK forums

9.What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to? Auz corals, we do get them but so very expensive here.

10.What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)? Latest LEDs

11.How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US? Pass.

12.Any other comments. The availability of equipment from the US and even corals has improved over the last couple of years. Electricity costs are high so I see LEDs growing in popularity currently. HQI lamps are minly used for SPS corals but LEDs are making inroads into the market although still expensive here.

Hah, isn't that the truth.

+1. I checked out some stores around Sydney when I visited last year and I remember some of the prices, insane. You'd think the Aussie dollar going up would help lower prices. $50-100 for skunk cleaner shrimp and for some of the zoas that are common here in the states. You should check out Lewy's thread on RC. He's up in Queensland and just collects his own livestock. Sick!!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529412

BTW, loved Auz and go West Tigers!!

A few questions for all of you:

Where are you based? Parramatta, Sydney

What type of system do you have? Fluval Edge II, the 42 litre (12 gallon) size

Any plans for future systems? This is a small system to learn and get over the hiccups of my first reef tank - I plan a much bigger display tank in the future - maybe a year or two?

Where do you buy equipment? LFS for most of my stuff - although I have just ordered LED's and a DIM4 controlled from LEDGroupbuy.com in the US

What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to? LED's, controllers, small protein skimmers

Where do you get livestock? I have three LFS which I rotate through - one is better for fish, the other two for coral

What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to? CRABS!! shrimp, brittle stars, fan worms

Where do you get coral? LFS

What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to? Zoas, Acans, Palys

What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)? Support, helps, other nano reefs, other nano reefers, the ability to order corals online

How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US? The same as anything - there are fewer of us spread further apart and a greater distance from major suppliers, so we basically DIY or go-it-alone a heck of a lot more.

Any other comments: I would really appreciate a group of like minded locals to walk through this process - the LFS guys are sometimes knowledgable, but rarely experimental, and their advice is always the standard line to guard their liability. I would also love a way to access more of the livestock and corals that are coming out of our waters and being sent to the US!

$50-100 for skunk cleaner shrimp

They are actually more like $120 here. $180+ for a fire shrimp. Which I discovered is because they are becoming less common in Aussie waters, and it is illegal to import inverts here.

Thanks for the link too, I will have a proper look through when I get chance!

Nice updates from the others here too, interesting to see a UK perspective (even though I am from there I didn't get into reefing until I came here).

Cheese-Lover
They are actually more like $120 here. $180+ for a fire shrimp. Which I discovered is because they are becoming less common in Aussie waters, and it is illegal to import inverts here.

And they are very difficult to breed.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...mp;hilit=shrimp

There is a guy in Australia who has done Blood Shrimp. And apparently cleaners are more difficult. >.>

**The QLD fisheries is in the process of closing down the coral sea for harvest of fish and ornamental shrimp.

If you like them - then buy them now. no coral sea means by by to redlines and blood shrimp -- by ACRO AL » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 10:25 pm MASA.asn.au

That probably doesnt help either. >.>

Oh. With what is posted online for Reef Secrets... Its not even a fraction of what they keep in their tanks.

Every time I go in there, I'm shocked at something. If I had the money I'd be in there daily... Buying all the things.

The only problem with MASA, either nobody has any nice macro. Or if they do they don't share. I want macro damnit. >.>

See, that's just not nice & not fair. I got chaeto as a birthday gift & I keep a macro tank. The first thing I did with my cuttings was find people to give it too. Not sharing is not nice. Besides, for macro to grow well, you must prune it. Not from Australia or New Zealand, but I had to comment.

Glad you started this thread, hopefully you'll get a nice group of people you can share with. If I could share my corals with you, I would, but I don't think they'd survive shipping.

Cheese-Lover
Plus you would probably get me locked up for illegal imports :P

Shipping is not the big killer.

3-18 months in QT with customs is the killer.

Archived