Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefin' at Work

banshee

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still in cycle. Second param check:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite and Nitrate off the charts. I did ~1 gallon water change. I'll have to mix up some more water tonight and do another large WC tomorrow/Thursday to get that down since I have macros coming soon.

I bought a piece of plexiglass and tried to cut a lid. It's not too bad except for some sharp edges. Think I'll take it home and see if hubby will sand it for me. I did manage to slice open my palm with the cutter though. Note to others who try this: Wear gloves!

Still in cycle. Second param check:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite and Nitrate off the charts. I did ~1 gallon water change. I'll have to mix up some more water tonight and do another large WC tomorrow/Thursday to get that down since I have macros coming soon.

if im wrong, please correct me but i notice you do lots of water changes during your cycles. as far as i know, youre not supose to till the end of cycle before adding cuc or fish. Me and a bunch of people i know never did a water change till the end.

for those people who cant wait for a cycle can use live bacteria in a bottle. you can pretty much have dead sand and dead rocks, add bacteria and fish and have no cycle.

I only did a small one so far because ammonia was 8+ which can kill the good bacteria. I haven't tested again yet but I'd guess it's ready for a water change now.

Captain Hook

Neat lil tank! I like the idea of having a mini tank and how easy it is to do water changes and clean the glass and such.

Neat lil tank! I like the idea of having a mini tank and how easy it is to do water changes and clean the glass and such.

this is a mini tank a friend built. 1 gallon with sump!!

Changed the filter to an AC70 today and ordered a PAR30 bulb. Now I just need to find a lamp for it. I was going to mod the AC70 into a fuge but I'm feeling lazy so maybe it will just stay stock. ;) Changed out a good percentage of water (maybe 35-40%?) and will run params tomorrow. Then hopefully I can start stocking! :D

Added a rock covered in fuzzy mushies and a bunch of GSP today. Gotta change the scape up to accomodate them and then I just wait for them to open up. :)

Added a rock covered in fuzzy mushies and a bunch of GSP today. Gotta change the scape up to accomodate them and then I just wait for them to open up. :)

Can't wait to see how the work tank is progressing. Expecting my first frag of GSP on thursday.

TeflonTomDosh

pix please :D

Pix will happen as soon as I work on the scape and they open up! I just acclimated and dumped so everything looks like hell right now! :lol:

Oh, almost forgot. 5 hermits and an emerald went in too. :happy:

PICS! :D

Today's FTS:

FTS4-11-12.jpg

GSP:

GSP-1.jpg

Mushies:

mushies.jpg

Silly hermit, sticks out a hole in the shell instead of the opening:

hermit-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Posting up May's FTS:

FTS-1.jpg

Nothing has really changed except I moved the scape around again and switched the light to a BoostLED PAR30. It looks pretty awesome now. :happy:

That's my "I'm going to have to watch so these don't take over the tank" rock! Between that and the GSP the tank should be bursting at the seams in a couple weeks. :lol: I'm thinking I'll take out one of the rocks because every coral I add comes on a rock and now I have too much! Then I'm moving the heater into the AC70 basket. Maybe I'll put some magic macro in when I get it! :)

That's my "I'm going to have to watch so these don't take over the tank" rock! Between that and the GSP the tank should be bursting at the seams in a couple weeks. :lol: I'm thinking I'll take out one of the rocks because every coral I add comes on a rock and now I have too much! Then I'm moving the heater into the AC70 basket. Maybe I'll put some magic macro in when I get it! :)

Totally busting in a few!!!!! Some of my favorite tanks are those that have only 3 or 4 coral species, but the tank is full to capacity with just those corals. I think it looks fantastic that way. The macro would look good in there too and it's an excellent nutrient exporter :)

I just bought some miracle macro from Danielle so it might just go live in the pico until my 40B is up and running. Then I'll move some over and leave some in the pico. I'm thinking the pico needs xenia and maybe some of my ric frags. Then I'm thinking of moving my green clown goby in and maybe the baby mini mini nem. :happy:

TankManJay

I am sorry for the dumb question but did you say some people sell items on this site as well? How would I see that? Best of luck in your new tank!

Theres a hardware and livestock forum down the forums page. You can buy and sell there. :)

Rearranged today and moved the heater into the AC70 so it's out of site now. I like the new scape a lot better. It's less crowded with lots of caves. It'll be perfect for a goby! :happy:

May3FTS.jpg

My emerald came out to snatch up an algae pellet I threw in:

Emerald.jpg

I've noticed this HH coral is growing and putting out polyps lately. Anyone know what it is?

HHCoral.jpg

Archived