Top Shelf Aquatics

Jai's 20g long

Jai1985

Hey guys I have been in the hobby for several years now. About a year ago I was forced to tear down my beloved 90g for a move, and have had the "itch" ever since. So now I am starting up a smaller (due to size in budget as well as living arrangements) tank. The tank is a standard 20 long which has been drilled by a local glass shop (I was too nervous to try this myself, plus he only charged me 10 bucks to do both the return and the drain). I bought a 20 lb bag of Caribsea sand and some Instant Ocean salt. (its not the only thing I can get here but I know it works well for me, so I see no since in changing what works even if Coral Pro may be better). Got the tank from a guy off Craigs whose roomie owed him 100 bucks on the light bill... man was I in for a shocker! The fixture i expected to be some cheap POS but it is a Current fixture. It's two 65w cfls and a moon light. the return pump is a Rio 1700 and there was also a stealth heater, a maxijet 1200 and a hydor koralia nano. Tank, stand, and a 10g sump all for 100 bucks! :D I couldn't be happier...

I have ordered some other things to be on the way ... filter sock ... new test kits... ect... and will post some pics tomorrow as time permits...

Return is going to be 3/4 and drain is going to be 1"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
randythefishdude
Hey guys I have been in the hobby for several years now. About a year ago I was forced to tear down my beloved 90g for a move, and have had the "itch" ever since. So now I am starting up a smaller (due to size in budget as well as living arrangements) tank. The tank is a standard 20 long which has been drilled by a local glass shop (I was too nervous to try this myself, plus he only charged me 10 bucks to do both the return and the drain). I bought a 20 lb bag of Caribsea sand and some Instant Ocean salt. (its not the only thing I can get here but I know it works well for me, so I see no since in changing what works even if Coral Pro may be better). Got the tank from a guy off Craigs whose roomie owed him 100 bucks on the light bill... man was I in for a shocker! The fixture i expected to be some cheap POS but it is a Current fixture. It's two 65w cfls and a moon light. the return pump is a Rio 1700 and there was also a stealth heater, a maxijet 1200 and a hydor koralia nano. Tank, stand, and a 10g sump all for 100 bucks! :D I couldn't be happier...

I have ordered some other things to be on the way ... filter sock ... new test kits... ect... and will post some pics tomorrow as time permits...

Return is going to be 3/4 and drain is going to be 1"

sounds good.....pics :)

Now does anyone know some good ways to quiet a drain? my tank is drilled on the side (not sure if the bottom was tempered) and i dont know how I could get something in there that would work.

A common way to quiet a drain is to have a second backup drain, higher than your main, and then to have a ballvalve on the main. You use the ballvalve to match the return, so no air can pass through. The backup is only used in case the main is clogged.

Also, you'll probably want to to throw something on that drain to stop critters from getting in.

I like the scape :)

Tyvm gotta love pukani rock! Very easy to work with

Mesh maybe? Or a pvc end cap with holes drilled in it.

Would that make my drain slower?

Yeah it would reduce flow, but if it's sucking air, making noise, then you can probably take the hit.

I will look into picking up a piece of PVC tonight and will try to upload a new video then.

I will look into picking up a piece of PVC tonight and will try to upload a new video then.

Okay a slip fit will be enough, and make it easy to alter and remove

Here is what I did with my 10G. Make the over flow like I did and drill a hole in the top of the drain side. I am sure your maxi jet 400 came with the adjustable air controller. Drilled hole on the top of the over flow and put the adjustable air controller in the hole. Adjust the air adjuster to the flow rate you want and to the point it will quite the drain.

IMAG0391-1.jpg

IMAG0390-1.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

My biggest worry is a snail getting into the drain. I do have a grate to put over the overflow but then I don't have very good surface skimming.

Thanks for all the help guys! I honestly can't remember where on earth the air valve is for my maxi, I have had it for a while. I will get on eBay and find me one though. Home depot here I come!

< vids to follow>

petco or petsmart has packs of six air valves for around three bucks near me, might wanna check that out as well. unless you are looking for a specific kind.

I think any air valve should work. More air flow slows the water flow and less air increases the flow.

If you can't find one I have an extra Maxi Jet one laying around. You can have it, I should be able to just mail it in a envelope. Don't worry about the postage .45 is no big deal.

Another thing not related to the flow, but make sure you have the overflow supported. If you flex the over flow outside of the tank you can break the tank glass. I did this on my first 10g. I tried to make solid return and when I tried to make an adjustment at the end of the flow the torque at the tank bulk head cracked my tank.

thanks deano, I will check the petsmart and Wally world while I'm out today for one. If I can't Ind one though I will take you up on that offer :-)

petco or petsmart has packs of six air valves for around three bucks near me, might wanna check that out as well. unless you are looking for a specific kind.

Yeah I'm gonna check out a few places while I'm out today.

Looking good. What are your plans for livestock? I have always liked 20L, I guess that is because my first Reef tank was a 20L... Look forward to updates!

Archived