ReefCleaners.org

Past the $1000 mark...

Singlefin

How the heck you guys spent that much? my 17g granted not pretty but still young cost me like total of $300 (included livestock so far) to setup it up but I sold a tank and some craps..bring the total down to like under $100.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the heck you guys spent that much? my 17g granted not pretty but still young cost me like total of $300 (included livestock so far) to setup it up but I sold a tank and some craps..bring the total down to like under $100.

BioCube29 is $329 just for the tank. Add a stand, return pump, skimmer, power heads, media baskets, fuge light, LED Light retrofit, controller, water testing kit, refractometer, LR, sand, water.... All that crap adds up.

And I learned my lesson long time ago. I am done buying cheap crap to "get me by", because it will fail faster than anticipated, and instead of getting by, you end up spending even more money....

BioCube29 is $329 just for the tank. Add a stand, return pump, skimmer, power heads, media baskets, fuge light, LED Light retrofit, controller, water testing kit, refractometer, LR, sand, water.... All that crap adds up.

And I learned my lesson long time ago. I am done buying cheap crap to "get me by", because it will fail faster than anticipated, and instead of getting by, you end up spending even more money....

yes quality is one thing but there are plenty of good use biocube floating around..i bought my first cube for like $50 i think. I guess it matter of instant gentrification vs finding it sale or used...granted i have to wait for a few months to find one on price im willing to pay..(not spending a lot time looking), just filtering thru email from CL or word by mouth

yes quality is one thing but there are plenty of good use biocube floating around..i bought my first cube for like $50 i think. I guess it matter of instant gentrification vs finding it sale or used...granted i have to wait for a few months to find one on price im willing to pay..(not spending a lot time looking), just filtering thru email from CL or word by mouth

Did not really feel like getting someone's nasty-ass tank. I've seen a few for sale and checked one out, but it looked horrible. If i got that one, i would spend more money and time on cleaning it. And i like shiny new things :)

My 20H, including livestock, cost me less than $200. I got some great deals and made some good trades. My 40B was over 1k with just the tank, stand, and lights. I'm a lot happier with the 40B. :lol:

I spent most of my cash on a CNC machine instead of a new reef,

Hopefully I can make my money back and make some cool custom stuff for a new reef since my current tank keeps stuff happy but looks terrible.

This certainly isn't a cheap hobby. I've eclipsed the $1k mark just on lights. I don't even want to know what I'm at.... I've only been in the hobby for 15 months. I might get depressed.

But we can all agree that it is totally worth it right? :)

just like a chronic can justify his next bag of crack. sorry gang, didn't mean to bum you guys out with thread. just saying that mark came and went pretty fast.

Even worse when you decide you want a camera that can take good photos of your reef tank. It's always safe to say that a reef tank will usually cost $100 per gallon on the lower end.

this is about right

and i have a 72 bow & a 5.5g pico.

Dam

I don't think I could stop the hobby if I tried...even if I was homeless. Id still find a way to make money like the crackheads do and I'd push around a reef on kart w/ a generator lol

I stopped counting at 6K on my 120g before I sold it all off. Less than 3 years later I'm cycling a 20g long. I'm just under 450$, and I had the tank, light fixture, stand and K2 left over from a freshwater system. I'm going for a KISS system, uhhhuh, I am.... :huh:

I"m at about 800 in my BioCube including the new tank I bought since the original cracked.

I'm scared for in a couple years I want to start a 150 up.....

This is a cheap hobby compared to others, having said that, my tank is less than four months old and I don't want to even think about the $$$$ I have spent with that dude from Intank, I forget his name.

I spent more then $1000 in a single weekend chalice hunting... I rather have a nice colorful chalice then food on my plate, plus its a good way to lose weight :lol:

I'm close to 1k and all I have to show for it is a couple of frags and lots of algae. Oh and John Maloney's snails. I think if I'd probably have the same results if I had only spent $50.

Even worse when you decide you want a camera that can take good photos of your reef tank. It's always safe to say that a reef tank will usually cost $100 per gallon on the lower end.

read this after i posted. pretty accurate in my case seeing as how I have a 14 gallon at around 1400$

One of the things I've noticed is I look around for places to spend money. Do I really need a dosing pump, a new light fixture, a reef controller, a new tank? Sometimes I have to sit back and realize I just need to be happy with what I have, right after I add a couple more things. :(

Archived