ReefCleaners.org

Past the $1000 mark...

Singlefin

Haha, before I found this hobby, I had never dreamed that I would be paying for rocks and sand...

Probably still under 1k myself...But not for long.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm almost 17 and my tank could be the only thing keeping me from getting a car... oh well, ill just get some super intense calf muscles from riding bikes....

I'm almost 17 and my tank could be the only thing keeping me from getting a car... oh well, ill just get some super intense calf muscles from riding bikes....

Dude, you're just doing your part to save the environment... :D

I don't even want to admit how much I've spent. I have paid over 1000 bucks for replacement bulbs in the last few years so I don't even care to tally the rest. I have spent 3 or 400 bucks at Mr.Coral this month, have 2 PAR 38 pendants on the way, as well as yet another halide bulb, and a reefcleaners order. This hobby is more expensive than drinking.

She suggested my other addiction. "honey, can we get a couple fishing poles, and go fishing tomorrow?". Ten years and $30k later. ...... And I already had a boat.

This thread is making me feel a little better - I'm right at the $1k mark AND I already had a stand and the SunPod MH for my new BC29 ( which I made rimless by the way, looks awesome) Don't even have drop of water in it yet....

I am one up on you Singlefin, my boyfriend has the boat. (and it's time for springers and sturgon here in Or oh boy oh boy oh boy)

Yeah, this is all to familiar. My girl friend wanted to have her own reef tank. She found a great deal! 46 gallons, stand lights filter and heater for $150.00. I've put at least $800.00 more into it getting it set up to make it a reef. Adds up quick. This is on top of what I spent on my tank. A cocaine habit would cost less...

It is a never ending cycle. I started with a 75 fowlr, downgraded to a 10g mixed reef, upgraded to a 20g mixed reef and then finally made a 5.5g tank for my wife...and now i am getting to take care of that too in the divorce :) $$$$$

I calculated how much I've spent once. I'll never do it again.

It will make you sick.

What you don't know can't hurt you, haha!

I've got about 3-4k in my 39g setup and i'm switching that over to a 75g. that's already near the 1500 mark. All the little things add up, plumbing parts, super glue, silicone, valves, epoxy, surge protectors, battery backups, zip ties, spray paint, hardware to hang lights, tools, etc.

saltwatercoral
Im sorry to say but even $5k is peanuts for the serious Reefer... ;)

LOL I just looked through this and wanted to add my .02! I have just began my cycle about 3 weeks ago so there is no corlas or fish just yet and with this being my only tank... I am at a little over 5K.

I bought my 14 gallon biocube back in January i have 398.00 invested but it helps when you know the LFS owner so i get everything at cost. and frags i get for nothing because i help him frag out his tanks.

There was a thread like this is my other forum which was an RC car forum..I don't want to think about either..My wife knows I have a sickness and supports me..That is all that matters to me and my 14 month old son loves both..

Im close to $2000 and still cycling! And to add insult to injury my brand new $500 Apex is now broken and I have to send it in for repair, which may not be free either! :(

... My family as a whole as spend close to the six digits... My mother is an accountant for the family company and keeps all the books, she decided one day to count up all the aquarium expenses, that included the $2 sale years ago. Thank god for tax write offs :lol:

Archived