Coral Vue Hydros

Newcomer 14G nano (Low Cost)

andyITA

Hi everyone, I am reading stuff on this forum for quite some time and now I have decided to get the courage to start one myself.

Along with a very good friend and neighbor we started each one of us a 14 g (54L) reef nano aquarium: dimentions 38cmx38cmx38cm cubic. He is very good when it-s about DIY and he will also provide me osmosis water all the time for water changes.

The aquarium will have a sump (about 6g) (20L) and I have designed it miself based of what I`v read on this website.

I will maintain a 10% weekly water change (using RED SEA PRO salt - the only one available atm in my city) and also Prodibio bacteria.

First thing I bought was a auto water adjust system (When water evaporates) img0241ky.jpg it-s not a complex one but I have read good reviews about this thing.

Monday I will get my LED lamp - 1W bulbs (about 12 white 17 blue)

I have a water current pump (SUNSUN 3000l/h but I think it-s a bit too much for this nano) so I was thinking of Sicce Voyager Nano Reef 1000-2300l/h (adjustable flow)......is it ok ?

This is how I want to establish my aquarium on the stand: 20120127182755.jpg

I found lots of aquarium related stuff in my warehouse that I will use for future DIY projects

20120128124410.jpg

I will use a 11W neon lamp on the sump refugium.

I will also use live rock and live sand

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS atm I got a 280 L African cichlid aquarium. I hope you like it. I will keep it along with the reef nano tank.

img4907h.jpg

img4914iz.jpg

PS last night I managed to make a sump project.

Is it good ? or shall I modify it ?

PS here-s a video in 3d of the SUMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQN9PARGulc

I would NOT use that as a stand. I dont think it will hold the weight of the tank, rocks,water,sand,ect... Look for something more sturdy. and preferably lower to the ground! :P That looks like it could be toppled over, not to mention a pain to get into a tank if it were on top of it.

Ps. Prodibio bacteria, or anything like that (purple up, ect..) is garbage... just give it time aand you will never need any of those "quick do its" also I would invest in a better skimmer.

Sump looks great though btw but for 6gallons kinda small to have all those chambers...

Well....I will make it let-s say....10g...hope it-s better.

About the stand... It had for like an year a 70 litter tank...and it is not really that tall I used to have no problems aquascaping I am 1.80m and the stand is 90 cm

The thing is atm I have other expenses to do rather than make a stand...maybe later.

Thanks a lot for your reply mate...I really appreciate.

Now I have a question for you: since for the start I will not use reactors (i`ll DIY them later) I will have in the second chamber some plastic boxes with matrix. Is it bad if the water will flow directly from the matrix chamber to the refugium that will have macroalgae and then in the OUT chamber ?

I have read that water from the liverock and filtration boxes should be guilded from the reactors directly to the out chamber.

Any ideas ?

PS I have another question:

Is this mini protein skimmer any good in my case to use it in the sump? http://www.resun-china.com/en/ProductInfo....mp;ProClass=113

What do you know about it ? coze I can buy it from the local store for about 15 $ or less.

Its worth trying but I dont think you will get much skimmate with it. I could be wrong though. If you already have it, try it, but in my experience these skimmers never do what they promise. Remember a little investment now can save a lot of money trying to "fix" things later. I am a college student myself, and tried to setup a 90g on a "bare bones budget" and while it worked it ended up costing me more on "fixes" than it would have if I had spent the money on good equipment. Im not saying you cant do it on a budget, im just saying you get what you pay for.

Less than $15 means less than $15 worth of quality (imo)

For a 14g i would recommend:

CF's are fine as long as you have at least 4 watts per gallon (old method but it works so...)

T5's would be best

If your gonna have a sump look into some skimmers on ebay. In sump models (good stuff at good prices on there)

Hydor sells some really great nano skimmers if that will work for you

Vortech's are not necessary regardless of what people say (an MP 10 cost about $300. Is it worth it idk but they are really nice, however a Koralia will do just fine and cost a LOT less)

14g tank means max 3-4 fish

Fuge lights: get a regular garden bulb and use a cheap metal reflector. (even a house light bulb will work)

Dont buy any of those insta-cycle crap its total garbage

I cant think of anything else right now, but if i do ill let you know

For a 14g i would recommend:

CF's are fine as long as you have at least 4 watts per gallon (old method but it works so...)

T5's would be best

If your gonna have a sump look into some skimmers on ebay. In sump models (good stuff at good prices on there)

Hydor sells some really great nano skimmers if that will work for you

Vortech's are not necessary regardless of what people say (an MP 10 cost about $300. Is it worth it idk but they are really nice, however a Koralia will do just fine and cost a LOT less)

14g tank means max 3-4 fish

Fuge lights: get a regular garden bulb and use a cheap metal reflector. (even a house light bulb will work)

Dont buy any of those insta-cycle crap its total garbage

I cant think of anything else right now, but if i do ill let you know

Mate, still I have a question:

since for the start I will not use reactors (i`ll DIY them later) I will have in the second chamber some plastic boxes with matrix. Is it bad if the water will flow directly from the matrix chamber to the refugium that will have macroalgae and then in the OUT chamber ?

I have read that water from the liverock and filtration boxes should be guilded from the reactors directly to the out chamber.

Mate, still I have a question:

since for the start I will not use reactors (i`ll DIY them later) I will have in the second chamber some plastic boxes with matrix. Is it bad if the water will flow directly from the matrix chamber to the refugium that will have macroalgae and then in the OUT chamber ?

I dont see where it will be a problem. Most people do it the other way (straight into the return) so it does not get filtered in other chambers. As long as you have it come AFTER you skimmer and any mechanical filtration you should be good.

Too much flow!! you be blowing everything around in there! lmao Look for something in the 200ish range

yea I got today a hydor coralia nano - 240g/hour I hope it-s good

Today I finished the aquarium fittings and the sump..>what do you guys think ?

I have removed the wall from the sump (marked with red) because I didn`t have too much space left in the water pump chamber

83229095.jpg

20120201172257.jpg

20120201174527.jpg

20120201174600.jpg

20120201172326.jpg

20120201172303.jpg

20120201172334.jpg

Im a little confused. I dont know what you have things labeled as. ( I'm American) what is the flow direction? Also remember that you want your skimmer before a fuge.

Archived