inTank Media Baskets

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

The Mantis has been quite busy:

He has taken the larger snails he has killed and has now moved them into the rock work. Doing this, he has now filled up some holes, thus creating a snail like wall/door.

I'm not sure if he is getting ready to molt, or just making himself at home.

Either way, it is pretty cool looking.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

He was out just a bit ago and I got pics and video!!! Will post after I get home.

I'm torn between 2 names:

Seymour and Crawl (the warrior king).

Thoughts?

Videos are being uploaded right now.

As for pictures, a ton of them turned out blurry (grrrr) but here is probably the best one:

MantisFace.png

Snail count = minimal. Only survivors are the bigger ones right now.

New order from reefcleaners.org placed today :).

New cell phone = new pics

Not thrilled with the way these turned out, but at least there are photos of the Zoas now.

IMG_20120326_163849.jpg

IMG_20120326_163905.jpg

IMG_20120326_163914.jpg

IMG_20120326_163932.jpg

Wow, I don't know if it's your Cell Phone but the Ice blue Zoa's with the orange mouth look sweet.

I named mine Mustakrakish. He was with me through 3 tanks. I've never seen something that small outcompete a Ghost Eel and a Fuzzy Dwarf for food with such consistency. That must have been...geez...3 years?

Any way, Crawl/Seymour is looking good.

Wow, I don't know if it's your Cell Phone but the Ice blue Zoa's with the orange mouth look sweet.

I named mine Mustakrakish. He was with me through 3 tanks. I've never seen something that small outcompete a Ghost Eel and a Fuzzy Dwarf for food with such consistency. That must have been...geez...3 years?

Any way, Crawl/Seymour is looking good.

Thanks! The blue/orange are actually green orange. Damn LED and cell phone camera :)

I think I'm going with Seymour

looking awesome man

Thanks! Soon I'll be part of the "cool kids"...My Mangroves should be here this week.

Neat mantis. :)

Thanks! He is pretty awesome. Didn't come out much today. I think the most interesting thing is how he is building his cave. He's taken all of his trophies (empty snail shells) and filled in the holes in the rock. He has made a complete wall on one side and is starting the next wall.

reeftankguy

Looking good! nice vids...

With him eating so many snails, how are your Phosphate levels? Do you leave all the carnage in the tank?

If so How often do you do water changes?

Looking good! nice vids...

With him eating so many snails, how are your Phosphate levels? Do you leave all the carnage in the tank?

If so How often do you do water changes?

Not sure on Phosphate levels. I'll have to check (haven't tested lately).

Not much carnage left in the tank at all actually. The only thing that remains is the shells. They are either whole or broken.

Right now, I'm doing weekly water changes. Usually 1-2 gallon changes weekly.

I got my order from reefcleaners.org in :).

I do have a question on the mangroves. I am trying to determine top from bottom. Some of them I can tell based on seeing the roots, but others it is not as clear. Are the tops the end that are pointy tipped (if that makes sense) ?

Jacob042426

The tops are the pointy ends. The bottom is blunt. Also make sure you have a spray bottle to spray the tops every day. Once you place them dont move them, and try to get them in places where there are a lot of nutrents flowing to them, like near your intake. :)

The tops are the pointy ends. The bottom is blunt. Also make sure you have a spray bottle to spray the tops every day. Once you place them dont move them, and try to get them in places where there are a lot of nutrents flowing to them, like near your intake. :)

Great, thanks! I guessed right :)

Pics (No leaves yet? or do the leaves open?)

MCKVr.jpg

0HUsK.jpg

GcPGp.jpg

IjqXf.jpg

zfPfi.jpg

Being as I'm new to Mangroves, I do have a question:

Can you have too many? There are 5 in the pictures above. I just got them in today and figured I'd put them all in this tank for now. Should I move some to my 55g ?

Nope, not too many. They grow so slowly it will be impossible for them to use up your nitrates/phosphates. I get like 1/3-1/2" growth a month.

Archived