inTank Media Baskets

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

WOW - nice set up there ccapasso. :D I can't wait to see all the new coral open up and start to fill in. B)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good call on using your limit 1s on acans.

I love acans. I have several in my 55g as well, just keep forgetting to update that thread. That and I think people are afraid of it with the long intro and pics, lol.

Ok. Thanks.

I wonder if another option might be to take it back to the store that made it and have them cut the holes a bit longer to let in more too?

This is what I did when I made my AIO 2.5. I just cut them a little deeper to get more water in.

Tank looks amazing btw.

Came into my office this morning (from being gone over the weekend) and one of the Acan frags from Mr. Coral was dead. By dead I mean completely white, hard as a rock, and had some nasty film covering the entire thing.

All others look alive, but we'll see after the lights kick on soon.

Sorry to hear about your acan. I lost a sps due to rtn and had one zoa melt so far. Did you get any aiptasia? There are a few small ones on one of my frags.

Light has been on for about 1.5 hours. Still waiting on some Zoa's to open, but rest looks ok.

No aiptasia that I can see (yet).

Some of the Zoa's aren't opening (hard to tell if they are dead or just mad) and I have yet to see the Acan's extend. I tried to feed them some Mysis, but no luck yet. They look healthy, just not eating yet.

The clam seems to be doing great though :).

Guess what I picked up today......

IMAG0570-1.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

Picked him up from a LFS and have no idea what species. I'm thinking maybe Smithii but any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.

nice, where did you end up getting him from?

That place which we do not speak of ....aka Aquatic Tech.

They had 3 of them. This guy looked the best.

Currently, he is in the tank and smashing away at something. Not sure if it is rock or snail. Looks like rock though with the dust he keeps kicking up!

Yes!!! He ate a snail!

I've only had this little guy a few hours and am already fascinated!

Can't wait to get more pics when he is out more.

Next...I need to think of a name...Normally I don't name anything, but this guy deserves a name!

Came in this morning and the little guy seems to be doing just fine.

Still smashing away - Seems to be alternating between making a cave and smashing snails.

Still can't get a decent picture as he stays hidden for the most part. Hoping to pickup some wooden skewers and entice the little guy to come on out for a photo shoot

Cool looking Mantis... You need to get a clear picture of it...

Looks like a Green Mantis

Gonodactylellus viridis

Yeah, that is what Roy over at RC said he thought it might be.

As soon as he comes out, I'll get more pictures.

He did pop his head out and does have some white looking circles on his arms.

Today has been quite interesting for Mr. Mantis (still need a good name):

He has been quite active with smashing what I assume to be his cave. Most recently he has been coming out more and moving snail shells around to make doors.

He came out just long enough for me to verify that he does have purple rings on his arms that have a white circle in the middle.

Hopefully this will help more with the ID, but I'm really starting to lean even more toward G. Smithii.

Very cool! I've always wanted a mantis, but love other things too much to give them up (fish, snails, etc).

Thanks!

And I agree. That is why I have 2 tanks. One dedicated to the mantis. The other for everything else.

Came in this morning from being gone over the weekend, not sure what to expect.

Well, needless to say there are many less snails than what there was pre-Mantis.

Inside his burrow, there are broken shells everywhere.

So far, he seems pretty happy. Hoping to get some decent pics this week :).

Archived