Innovative Marine Aquariums

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

Islandoftiki

I was watching some of your videos today and your mantis looks identical to mine as far as I can tell.

Did you come up with a definitive ID on him? I was originally thinking mine was a Haptosquilla glyptocercus, but now that he's been out and about, his telson looks more like Gonodactylellus viridis even though he is jet black to my eyes, but he has that jagged telson like the green mantis, like yours does.

I made a video of my pest tank today and he makes a pretty good appearance at

. Do you think he's the same as yours? I've seen a few pictures of green mantis that looked nearly black.

Cheers!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing when I saw your Manits! Only mine is green. He just finished molting so when he is out, I'll try and snap another pic.

Dr. Roy initially said it looks like a Gonodactylellus viridis but still a bit hard to tell.

Yours looks a lot like mine (or mine looks a lot like yours). Either way, when I first saw your I thought they were twins! Never really saw yours as black in color though.

Islandoftiki

Well, as he becomes less reclusive, I will get a better idea of exactly what he is. Regardless, they're amazing creatures. I'm really glad I got the opportunity to do a mantis tank.

Your tank is looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing it grow out.

Thanks! They are amazing creatures. I didn't fully know what to expect but they are really "pet like." Come up to greet you in the morning and everything lol.

Sadly though, I'm not sure this tank will grow out much. After owning this guy for a little as I have, I really want to get a peacock mantis. As such, I have been putting a design together for a tank for one. The only problem, no corals as I can't use high lighting due to shell rot.

I'll be following yours along closely (both of them).

Well, it is time to make a decision. The time has come to upgrade (already) and I will likely be selling this tank. Just need to figure out some last minute details on the upgrade.

As a sneak peak, the new tank will be for a peacock mantis. As such, this guy will need a new home.

Found one piece of aiptasia. Went and got a peppermint shrimp. He lived through the night.

However, just now he walked in front of Seymour's cave and ---Wham!!! That's all she wrote.....

Looks like lemon juice maybe ??

Nice Tank ccapasso B) ... I have always used aiptasia x by Red Sea works like a charm. But I heard Lemon juice works too.

What piece had the aptasia?

Not sure. It isn't attached to any but it didn't show up until the new frags were added.

Normally I would have dipped in CoralRx Pro, but I left it at home the day the frags arrived. It is closest to the Candy Cane, so if I had to guess, that would be it.

Apparently Seymour didn't want to eat the whole Peppermint Shrimp. Look what he just tossed outside his cave:

H8LJD.jpg

Islandoftiki

Do you think shell rot is going to be an issue if the mantis has enough hiding places? They spend 95% of their time in their little caves. Mine really only comes out to take food and then spends the rest of his time moving from one little cave to the next and doing home decorating tasks.

For your peacock mantis tank, have you considered the idea of doing a pest tank like I'm doing? These green/red tipped majanos don't even like much light and they're really beautiful, they usually tuck themselves under a rock or out of direct lighting. They're really quite attractive, and I'm sure they don't bother the mantis at all. The aiptasia can also tolerate very low light. Throw in some ugly brown zoas and palys and hack up a couple mushrooms and distribute them around and you're in business.

You could also do a nice mushroom garden. They don't need much light.

Edited for typo

Shell rot is an issue for Mantis that live in deeper waters and aren't use to the light.

Seymour would not be affected by this.

The peacock however, would be. As such, the new tank is going to likely be a MOWLR only - Mantis Only with Live Rock :). The only lights will be the lighting in my office.

Today is a semi-sad day. Removing all the corals to prepare for the sale of this tank. It was fun while it lasted, but time for bigger and better :)

Corals will be moved to my 55g.

Archived