Coral Vue Hydros

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, not too many. They grow so slowly it will be impossible for them to use up your nitrates/phosphates. I get like 1/3-1/2" growth a month.

Thanks Joel.

Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but I have them in one of my return chambers. They aren't all the way down and even if they were, they would not be in substrate. This is still ok right?

Thanks Joel.

Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but I have them in one of my return chambers. They aren't all the way down and even if they were, they would not be in substrate. This is still ok right?

Mine are one rocks, I'm pretty sure it will be okay. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.

Seymour has been hiding since about Tuesday. :unsure:

Hoping he is OK and is just molting. No clicking, no noise, no movement, nothing...

Starting to get a little concerned....No sight of Seymour since last Tuesday.

The only indication I have that he is still alive is the progress on the walls. There are broken shells and rock chunks that look new from last week.

The only thing I can think of is that he is molting.

Any thoughts?

That mantis is both beautiful, yet weirdly creepy. Especially its eyes.

Thanks! Seymour has been hiding for over a week now, so no new pics :(.

I believe he is molting, but only time will tell.

When he comes out again, I should be able to get more pics.

New corals ordered. I wanted to give the newest sponsor (SaltCritters) a shot and see how the products are.

I placed a small order last night and it looks like it is shipping today and should be here tomorrow.

Will get pics up after I have everything.

Good news! I was cleaning the tank glass with my mag-cleaner and out of the corner of my eye I saw Seymour pop his head out of his cave.

I put the feeding stick by him (nothing on it) and he did come out a small bit to get it and hit it.

Looks like he is alive. No idea if he was molting or hiding, but I would imagine that if he was molting, that his molt will eventually be kicked out of his cave by him?

Islandoftiki

If they're like a shrimp, they may eat their molt.

I've only had my mantis for a week. I think he was pretty hungry the first day because he took some mysis shrimp from the forceps, but then he hid for a couple days only making the occasional guest appearance. When they get hungry enough, I suspect they'll come out. I think they can go for some time without food.

They do like to hide most of the time.

They do in fact eat their molt.

Being as I'm new to Mangroves, I do have a question:

Can you have too many? There are 5 in the pictures above. I just got them in today and figured I'd put them all in this tank for now. Should I move some to my 55g ?

Actually yes, you can do too many in a small tank like yours. I would stick with just one or two. Mangroves suck a lot of magnesium out of the water. Regular water changes will help with that (I don't know what your routine is) or dosing for it. If you have a magnesium test kit, take a look and see.

If they're like a shrimp, they may eat their molt.

I've only had my mantis for a week. I think he was pretty hungry the first day because he took some mysis shrimp from the forceps, but then he hid for a couple days only making the occasional guest appearance. When they get hungry enough, I suspect they'll come out. I think they can go for some time without food.

They do like to hide most of the time.

Yeah, mine ate a ton the first week. Probably due to the previous owner (LFS) just keeping him in a small QT tank with nothing in it but a PVC pipe.

They do in fact eat their molt.

Actually yes, you can do too many in a small tank like yours. I would stick with just one or two. Mangroves suck a lot of magnesium out of the water. Regular water changes will help with that (I don't know what your routine is) or dosing for it. If you have a magnesium test kit, take a look and see.

No dosing at all. However I do weekly water changes. Will have to test levels again. I can always move a few of the mangroves to my 55g.

Review of SaltCritters.com order.

Here is what I ordered from SaltCritters.com:

saltcritterorder.png

Before ordering I read through their policy about Live Arrival Guarantee and knew in advance that Ground Shipping didn't qualify. However, being that they are based in Indiana and I am in Ohio, I knew I should get the package in one days time. I talked to them online using their webchat and after verifying that my order would ship Wednesday (ordered late Tuesday night) I decided to go forward.

The following day (Wednesday) I got a message from SaltCritters telling me that there was a mistake on the website:

message.png

The package arrived today at my office around noon.

Packaging:

There was a heat pack and styrofoam inside the box. Personally I would recommend putting more sytrofoam inside as the bag did roll around a bit. All in all though, the packaging wasn't too bad.

IMG_20120405_120643.jpg

IMG_20120405_120837.jpg

IMG_20120405_121016.jpg

Each Frag was in its own bag with plenty of water and air. Each bag was also double bagged:

IMG_20120405_121502.jpg

IMG_20120405_121518.jpg

IMG_20120405_121522.jpg

IMG_20120405_121538.jpg

IMG_20120405_121625.jpg

IMG_20120405_121653.jpg

After acclimating, it was time to examine each coral frag:

IMG_20120405_125849.jpg

Candy Cane:

IMG_20120405_125959.jpg

IMG_20120405_130017.jpg

IMG_20120405_131933.jpg

FireStone Acan Frag:

IMG_20120405_125940.jpg

IMG_20120405_132038.jpg

Blasto Frag:

IMG_20120405_130041.jpg

IMG_20120405_132004.jpg

War Coral Frag:

IMG_20120405_125921.jpg

IMG_20120405_132025.jpg

Mystery Coral Frag:

IMG_20120405_130107.jpg

IMG_20120405_132044.jpg

All in all I am quite happy with my purchase. I did want that green blasto, but I am happy with the red and extra mystery coral (looks to be a tiny acan).

The only concern I have is the Candy Cane. The bottom of the stalk was white. Being this is my first time with this coral, I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Will report back at a later time with more pics after things open up more.

Good grief those dang bio peanuts sure shrank up. Let me know how they do.

Will do! Everything looked ok before I left. The only thing that didn't look too hot was the candy cane but I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Everything has opened up today with the exception of the Candy Cane. Going to feed some Mysis at lunch and see how it goes.

...Yes...that's right....my Tank eats when I eat :).....Minus Seymour the Mantis of course. He eats whenever he wants.

Feeding Freenzy!

All of the new corals ate the Mysis like they hadn't eaten in weeks lol (not saying they haven't, just an expression).

Even the Candy Cane (Trumpet Coral) ate happily!

And of course, Seymour enjoyed the Mysis too!

Thanks guys!

I tried to take a few more pics today, but nothing good came of it.

Hopefully next week I'll bring the DSLR and get some better shots.

Archived